Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Test squad for SL...

+20
doremi
tac
holcs
Brass Monkey
Eric Air Emu
lardbucket
Peregrine Periwinkle
Leo
Geoffrey Trueman
MidnightCowboy
doctorspin
Basil
Henry
Gildas
PearlJ
Chivalry Augustus
LeFromage
JKLever
Winkle Spinner
beamer
24 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

England's Test squad for SL... - Page 2 Empty Re: England's Test squad for SL...

Post by Leo Sun 14 Oct 2007, 02:48

On the bowlers - I'd go for both Panesar and Swann. You need a second slow bowler in Sri Lanka - Croft and Giles were both essential to the win in 2001. A third seamer isn't likely to be much more threatening than Collingwood on those pitches. Jimmikins and Hoggard can open the bowling.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England's Test squad for SL... - Page 2 Empty Re: England's Test squad for SL...

Post by LeFromage Sun 14 Oct 2007, 02:57

Oh, that's interesting - Berry thinks Tim Ambrose is in the frame as the second keeper.

The Sussexification of England continues apace...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffrey Trueman Sun 14 Oct 2007, 03:05

Leo wrote:On the bowlers - Jimmikins and Hoggard can open the bowling.

I bet ODI 'Man of the Series' Ryan Sidebottom would love that.
Geoffrey Trueman
Geoffrey Trueman

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 14 Oct 2007, 03:11

I think Sidebottom has moved to the very front of the queue as far as the swing bowlers are concerned.

I think the seam attack will be him, either Anderson or Hoggard, and Harmison.

A bit of everything. Left arm in-swing to the RHBs, right arm out-swing to the RHBs and tall, bouncy fast random lucky-dipping from Harmison.

Throw in a spinner - Panesar bowling SLA, complimented by, say, Vaughan's off-spin - and you've got pretty much the most balanced attack imaginable.

Not that that's the be all and end all...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 14 Oct 2007, 03:13

I can't believe we wont go in with 2 front line spinners given the heat we'll be playing in.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 14 Oct 2007, 03:19

And I can't believe they'll select five fast bowlers to tour if they're only planning on picking two per game.

And I really can't believe they'll bat Prior at six with Swanny at seven. Not if they're planning on winning any games.

Tough to balance the side without a genuine (fit) all-rounder.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 14 Oct 2007, 03:23

Batsmen-

Cook
Vaughan
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Strauss

'Keepers-

Prior
Mustard

Fast Bowlers-

Hoggard
Sidebottom
Tremlett
Anderson
Broad

Spinners-

Panesar
Swann
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 14 Oct 2007, 03:23

Aye, I'll give you that.

Prior/Swann combo at 6/7 looks like a disaster waiting to happen
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine Periwinkle Sun 14 Oct 2007, 04:27

The first 6 are automatic choices - Vaughan, Cook, Shah, KP, Colly, Bell. Possibly Shah and Bell to swap positions there, but Bell's best has been at 6.

Bopara will definitely be in the squad, and will also probably play in the first test too at number 7. Strauss will probably be in the squad, but only as reserve opener and first reserve fielder. Ramps will go as replacement non-opening batsman.

There's absolutely no reason to take 2 keepers. I really don't care which of them get the nod.

As Swann has shown some promise and form, he'll be in the starting XI at number 8. Obviously Monty will also be there at 11.

On form, our best 2 pace bowlers are Sidebottom and Broad, and as Broad can hold a bat he gets the number 9 position.

Reserve bowlers are Hoggy, Harmi and either Tremlett or another spinner.

Anderson flatters to deceive and must work on consistency on an A tour or with the academy.

Peregrine Periwinkle

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 14 Oct 2007, 06:44

They can't and won't pick an attack of Broad, Sidebottom, Swann and Panesar.

Two debutants and a guy with seven caps whilst two blokes with over 200 Test wickets each sit on the sidelines? Dream on.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 14 Oct 2007, 07:01

Hoggard will play, Broad won't (unless Swann is still unfit) ... surely?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38075
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 14 Oct 2007, 07:12

If there's any kind of method to their selection policy, Broad won't even be in the squad.

Chris Tremlett was picked for the last Test series in preference to him, and bowled very well indeed.

Yes, Broad's settling in well to one-day cricket, and Tremlett looks a bit awkward in that format of the game. But that doesn't count for anything when you're picking a Test squad.

Or, at least, it shouldn't.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 14 Oct 2007, 07:13

Logic plays lttle part in English selections?

Sidebottom's screwed, then.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Sun 14 Oct 2007, 10:40

I wouldn't have Prior or Mustard in the squad as keepers- the pitches will more than likely be slow, low and slovenly and their slightly dubious cavalry charge batting is not going to come off.

Go with someone who can graft a bit and be boring like Jon Batty or James Foster.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 14 Oct 2007, 10:50

Eric Air Emu wrote:I wouldn't have Prior or Mustard in the squad as keepers- the pitches will more than likely be slow, low and slovenly and their slightly dubious cavalry charge batting is not going to come off.

Go with someone who can graft a bit and be boring like Jon Batty or James Foster.

Yeah, actually I'd prefer Foster - I'm allying this to the fact that Prior's hands are as hard as granite and he'll drop all of the, no doubt, stack of thin edges Monty and Swann will produce. Moutard I wouldn't mind keeping-wise but the fact is his FC batting needs some work.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Sun 14 Oct 2007, 10:53

I remember Foster being a pleasant surprise when he toured India a few years ago now- batted time for a respectable score or two and he was only 12 at the time.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Sun 14 Oct 2007, 10:53

If SiBo doesn't start I may have to personally think about hunting DaveGrave down!

My squad:

Vaughan, Cook, Shah, KP, Colly, Bell, Ramps

Bopara

Mustard

SiBo, Panesar, Swann, Hoggard, Harmison
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Sun 14 Oct 2007, 11:06

You just can't leave out Hoggard, though.

Not only is he very consistent, and it seems that once every winter, against the odds, he puts in a super-human performance that either wins the match, or would have done were it not for the rest of the tems incompetence.

I refer you to:

Hat-trick vs West Indies, Barbados, 2004
7-61 vs South Africa, Johannesburg, 2005
6-57 vs India, Nagpur, 2006
7-112 vs Australia, Adelaide, 2006

You just can't leave someone like that out. Especially on flat tracks in the subcontinent in the blazing heat where an 80mph swing bowler won't do anything. It's when he's at his best.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 14 Oct 2007, 11:14

Winkle Spinner wrote:You just can't leave out Hoggard, though.

Not only is he very consistent, and it seems that once every winter, against the odds, he puts in a super-human performance that either wins the match, or would have done were it not for the rest of the tems incompetence.

I refer you to:

Hat-trick vs West Indies, Barbados, 2004
7-61 vs South Africa, Johannesburg, 2005
6-57 vs India, Nagpur, 2006
7-112 vs Australia, Adelaide, 2006

You just can't leave someone like that out. Especially on flat tracks in the subcontinent in the blazing heat where an 80mph swing bowler won't do anything. It's when he's at his best.

So true it's unbelievable. His 7-63 against NZ at Christchurch was also a bit of a good spell.

Not only that, but his average away against equal to his home record pretty much and that he was the total stand out performer in the India series.

Makes him the first or second pick of the bowlers. Still, SiBo's third for me. So that leaves one more pacer and possibly a spinner. Just would probably leave us a little lightweight batting. I'd like to have Harmy as well and Swann for back up. But, I suppose we may not need a second spinner were SiBo and Hoggy used as probing stock type bowlers and Monty controlling an end would leave GBH short spells giving it his all.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Sun 14 Oct 2007, 11:31

Batfink Begins wrote:.......would leave GBH short spells giving it his all.
Oh dear, England.....FARKED!
doctorspin
doctorspin

England's Test squad for SL... - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Sun 14 Oct 2007, 11:36

Dello wrote:If there's any kind of method to their selection policy.........
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Added to the dictionary definition for Non sequitur
doctorspin
doctorspin

England's Test squad for SL... - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 14 Oct 2007, 11:56

re GBH 'giving his all' ... that'd be a first

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 14 Oct 2007, 11:58

lardbucket wrote:re GBH 'giving his all' ... that'd be a first

Maybe he just doesn't have much . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 14 Oct 2007, 12:11

Peregrine Periwinkle wrote:The first 6 are automatic choices - Vaughan, Cook, Shah, KP, Colly, Bell. Possibly Shah and Bell to swap positions there, but Bell's best has been at 6.

Bopara will definitely be in the squad, and will also probably play in the first test too at number 7. Strauss will probably be in the squad, but only as reserve opener and first reserve fielder. Ramps will go as replacement non-opening batsman.

There's absolutely no reason to take 2 keepers. I really don't care which of them get the nod.
9 batsmen and 1 keeper?! What happens if the chosen keeper gets injured on the morning of a Test, we have to play for 5 days with a makeshift keeper and concede 50+ byes in each innings? It would be like going to a football World Cup with one goalkeeper in your squad.

And if Bopara bats at 7, then your keeper at 8, that's a three-man attack - even England wouldn't be that negative. I see little point in taking 9 batsmen when 2 or 3 of them are only likely to carry the drinks, and batsmen are generally less injury-prone than bowlers.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 14 Oct 2007, 12:26

lardbucket wrote:re GBH 'giving his all' ... that'd be a first

Not at all. It's common knowledge that when he's uber-sh!te he's still working the hardest in the nets. He'll bowl any time any captain asks. Just so happens that when he's sh!t, they go nowhere near him.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next