Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test Cricket could die out

+6
JKLever
Shoeshine
Bradman
Henry
taipan
DJ_Smerk
10 posters

Go down

Test Cricket could die out Empty Test Cricket could die out

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:48

Story

The future of Test cricket dominated the two-day MCC World Cricket Committee meeting at Lord's, with the sombre conclusion being that it is in danger of dying out. The committee put forward recommendations including a World Test Championship, a trial of day/night Test cricket and pink balls in a bid to make the longer format more appealing.

"Except for certain icon series, such as the Ashes, Test cricket throughout the world, and in particular the lower-ranked nations, is in very real danger of dying," a statement by the committee said.

It's a bit insulting to the true fans of Test Cricket.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Test Cricket could die out Empty Re: Test Cricket could die out

Post by taipan Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:49

Fire the farkers.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:49

But true.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:50

It might be just me but I am beginning to sniff some sort of hidden agenda here.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:50

It's in danger of dying because you organise series' against a problematic West Indian team IN MAY.

FFS.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:52

taipan wrote:Fire the farkers.

What he said.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:53

taipan wrote:It might be just me but I am beginning to sniff some sort of hidden agenda here.

I think you just shat yourself.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:53

The problem is with the game in the sub-continent, where Tests don't attract an audience. It's doing well in England, fine in Australia and not so bad in South Africa. The West Indies are such a shambles anyway, whilst it's never been strong in New Zealand.

Shoeshine

Test Cricket could die out Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:53

So what the MCC are saying is that they'd like an Ashes series every 2 years. suicide
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:54

Shoeshine wrote:The problem is with the game in the sub-continent, where Tests don't attract an audience. It's doing well in England, fine in Australia and not so bad in South Africa. The West Indies are such a shambles anyway, whilst it's never been strong in New Zealand.

Still big TV money in Subiland I thinks
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:55

Shoeshine wrote:The problem is with the game in the sub-continent, where Tests don't attract an audience. It's doing well in England, fine in Australia and not so bad in South Africa. The West Indies are such a shambles anyway, whilst it's never been strong in New Zealand.

I think it builds character for each country. Sometimes quieter grounds in New Zealand make charismatic players a bit unwary and awkward because their used to a certain buzz around the ground.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:57

taipan wrote:

Still big TV money in Subiland I thinks

TV money goes on the T20 and 50 over game. Tests do not attract much of an audience or command big fees by comparison. The TV companies care about money (obviously) and extra ODIs in place of Tests would suit them better.

Shoeshine

Test Cricket could die out Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:59

Hence the ICC BS?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:59

But they're has been decent crowds for series in India to be fair.

They're are just too many pointless test series, the addition of Zim & Ban haven't helped in that regard.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 15 Jul 2009, 11:00

Agreed. Bang and Zim should be let loose from the Test Rankings. However, after the recent series in WI, I feel the bangers have saved themselves the cut.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 15 Jul 2009, 11:02

So what the MCC are saying is that they'd like an Ashes series every 2 years.
No. Though that, in effect, does happen ... home then away.

Bear in mind that the MCC no longer have any influence whatsoever on Test cricket.

This is an exercize (unwilling to be recogized by the ICC, who DO control test cricket) that addresses a problem that is obvious for all to see.

The MCC's contributors include past captains from test playing nations who are looking at several and varied attempts to revive the game in the longer format.

T20 and the subcontinents infatuation with it is ruining test cricket down there (fact) ... and whilst some could say - 'who gives a f**K ... let them carry on with the Modi effect', the MCC are at least looking for solutions.

The WIndies disasterous May tour was organized and set up by the two respective Boards ... ECB and WICB.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 15 Jul 2009, 11:24

taipan wrote:It might be just me but I am beginning to sniff some sort of hidden agenda here.

I tend to agree. Most cricket fans I know rate test cricket as easily their favourite format of the game. I've also noted this when for eg. the ABC site conducts surveys etc. I've noticed English fans favour it as well. Yet it's as if the ICC has started to talk up the popularity of T20 as if it's preparing us for something unpalatable.

It maybe interesting to consider that while T20 attracts more patrons, maybe for reasons of personal budgets and convenience, test cricket still rates very well on the tv. Sometimes this isn't factored in when analysis is done regarding the extent to which the truncated forms of the game are seen to be gaining precedence in the public's minds.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 15 Jul 2009, 12:28

Red - do you factor in the sub continent in your analysis of patrons etc involving test cricket down there? Define which "public" ??

I reckon it's all down to limited attention span of the masses, Bollywood hysteria and, inevitably, the preparation of dead wickets on the sub continent.

The sheer boredom of watching 5 days on lifeless strips triggered everything else IMO ... T20, sponsors, TV overspend and wealthy businessmen jumping onto the bandwagon to flog their wares ........ perhaps a simple analysis, but true nonetheless.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 15 Jul 2009, 13:12

Merlin wrote:Red - do you factor in the sub continent in your analysis of patrons etc involving test cricket down there? Define which "public" ??

I reckon it's all down to limited attention span of the masses, Bollywood hysteria and, inevitably, the preparation of dead wickets on the sub continent.

The sheer boredom of watching 5 days on lifeless strips triggered everything else IMO ... T20, sponsors, TV overspend and wealthy businessmen jumping onto the bandwagon to flog their wares ........ perhaps a simple analysis, but true nonetheless.

I agree to an extent but according to those covering the test series in India last year, the tv ratings were very good and it was covered live against the gate. Indisputably they're more prepared to go to the abbreviated forms of the game over there but I also believe that they T20 hysteria went into overdrive when India won the first WC in SA in this format. The IPL partly took off for this reason. Regarding the pitches, there, they are a problem and if the ICC was serious about test cricket, it could demand more sporting pitches on every continent. Surely there's enough money in the game for it to survive if the tests are shorter due to the ball taking a more pro active role in relation to bat.

Boycott has added his bit.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Cricket/245/3deb68f96683481fb2a4ce9964d8b592/15-07-2009%2009-07/Boycott_Test_cricket_dying
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 15 Jul 2009, 23:47

I think a two-division structure would be a really good idea. Even make it so that only matches involving a division one side are counted as Tests. And limit contests between a division one side and a division 2 side to one-off matches.

That would mean Tests are between opposition of - in theory - similar quality, while lesser nations get the chance to improve their game without continual floggings against higher class opposition.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:42

I'm pleased to say that 3 years after this thread was started, Test Cricket is still here.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105978

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down