Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congrats to England thread

+18
Growler
Invader Zim
furriner
Jontyh
Gary 111
Mick Sawyer
PlanetPakistan
eowyn
PeterCS
taipan
Hass
Batman
Zat
Blackadder
LeFromage
skully
JKLever
horace
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Congrats to England thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Congrats to England thread

Post by Gary 111 Thu 30 Dec 2010, 00:55

Mick Sawyer wrote:
horace wrote:well played to the Poms on retaining the Urn...well organised, resourceful and clever with the bat, ball and in the field

i hope we are able to provide sterner competition in future series

aye horrie.

Huge well done to Miller, Flower, Saker, Strauss, Cook and the other players. Better selections, better culture, better coaching, better preparation, better toss calling, better captaincy, better team.

All true, but while Strauss is from the land of Shakespeare, The Beatles and Monty Python its a bit harsh to blame Ponting for only having the Minogues, Men At Work and Sheila's Wheels to fall back on. Its hardly Ponting's fault.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : eng

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 30 Dec 2010, 00:57

The Beatles and Monty Python its a bit harsh to blame Ponting for only having the Minogues

phurt. Who'd want to shag insects or reptiles.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 07 Jan 2011, 01:46

hmnn...why create a new thread when one can be recycled...again and again it would seem!

Congratulations England on a fantastic series win

boozin
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 07 Jan 2011, 08:10

Aye h. Our arses were comprehensively served to us on a plate by Strauss's boys.

Special congrats to Chef and Jimmy who led the way.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 07 Jan 2011, 09:25

Will post some of the pics I took today when I get home. Congrats again to the enemy.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Jan 2011, 16:26

boozin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Fri 07 Jan 2011, 16:42

thanks
Jontyh
Jontyh

Congrats to England thread - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:03

Yeah, well done England. Amazing result.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 07 Jan 2011, 21:46

Gary 111 wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:
horace wrote:well played to the Poms on retaining the Urn...well organised, resourceful and clever with the bat, ball and in the field

i hope we are able to provide sterner competition in future series

aye horrie.

Huge well done to Miller, Flower, Saker, Strauss, Cook and the other players. Better selections, better culture, better coaching, better preparation, better toss calling, better captaincy, better team.

All true, but while Strauss is from the land of Shakespeare, The Beatles and Monty Python its a bit harsh to blame Ponting for only having the Minogues, Men At Work and Sheila's Wheels to fall back on. Its hardly Ponting's fault.

At least Oz can't be held responsible for Split Enz or Russell Crowe. Or Russell Brand.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Fri 14 Jan 2011, 01:29

Aye, well done England. Out played and (worryingly) out thought us the whole series. The WACA Test was obviously a fluke.

Can’t see much hope of improvement in the Aussie side until we have some new leadership off and on the field. The selectors are obsessed with finding a new super star, yet England flogged us with a team of honest toilers. They played as a team, whereas we played as a group of individuals, most of whom where most concerned with their own performances. Bereft of ideas and players with any heart, it was perhaps the most depressing performance I’ve seen us put out since the 80s.

England had bowlers who could bowl the right lines and maintain pressure, batsmen who could be patient and take advantage of bowling mistakes. They hunted as a group, even though they where somewhat held back by their skipper. Of course when compared to the Aussie on field leadership team, Strauss comes out looking like a combination of Clive Lloyd, Steve Waugh and Tubby Taylor.

Have we reached our nadir? Probably not. Got a feeling that’s yet to come, especially if Clarke takes over from Ponting.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 14 Jan 2011, 01:55

Well (and graciously) spoken, T. You know a few forummers - esp unwashed Poms - had issues with your dismayed and disordered flounce mid-Test of some time ago. As far as I am concerned, this assessment consigns all that to the bin of history.

("That's big of me" - well okay, just a point of view on my part.)

To the substance ... Oz may have further to fall, as you suspect, but I think that's an open question. It would help a great deal, surely, if Messers Hilditch and Nielsen in particular could be nudged aside. As England have found, "positive-taking" denial - in public, but even worse, in private conclave - is the worst enemy of reasonable and reasoned progress. The two named gentlemen seem positively to bar the door to the future with bad selections and the worst sort of obstinacy.

There are some good signs for Oz, in the form of individuals, but better still, in their spirit. You are right that the collective ethos is all wrong, but it is individuals who make differences in cricket, if their example is heeded and followed.

Khawaja, Katich (still), Hussey (still), Siddle (limited maybe, but easily Test class if he has a couple of like effort and skill around him), and to an extent Haddin, and Harris (unluckily probably out for good) all showed better signs. Watson has the talent if not yet the gumption or the training (he is still overtoned). Hauritz would patently have been a better choice - entirely predictably, this is not the benefit of hindsight. And better than Hauritz, those such as Krejza should be nurtured rather than banished. Paine is surely the face of the keeping future. There are others around who can grow into the key roles - if the management grows some common sense apart from anything else.

You're right that England achieved a lot with fairly limited stocks. At the same time, I think this can be overstated. There are a few players of genuine talent there, it's not merely that they have been nurtured and coached properly. (I think the 2010-11 crop would probably beat the 2005 Ashes team, if that were possible - Strauss Opener 2011 might not statistically be much cop, but he is wiser and better on shot range and selection than he was.)

I'm not sure the WACA Test was a fluke ... above all, I think it was a case of the ultimate loose cannon firing at its optimum, in conditions optimum for its confidence. (Not that cannon have psychologies.)

PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jan 2011, 12:57

Invader Zim wrote:Aye, well done England. Out played and (worryingly) out thought us the whole series. The WACA Test was obviously a fluke.

Can’t see much hope of improvement in the Aussie side until we have some new leadership off and on the field. The selectors are obsessed with finding a new super star, yet England flogged us with a team of honest toilers. They played as a team, whereas we played as a group of individuals, most of whom where most concerned with their own performances. Bereft of ideas and players with any heart, it was perhaps the most depressing performance I’ve seen us put out since the 80s.

England had bowlers who could bowl the right lines and maintain pressure, batsmen who could be patient and take advantage of bowling mistakes. They hunted as a group, even though they where somewhat held back by their skipper. Of course when compared to the Aussie on field leadership team, Strauss comes out looking like a combination of Clive Lloyd, Steve Waugh and Tubby Taylor.

Have we reached our nadir? Probably not. Got a feeling that’s yet to come, especially if Clarke takes over from Ponting.
Ah, fair play, yes I did miss this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Tue 18 Jan 2011, 13:48

And so did I.

I guess to Aussies, this Ashes was the equivalent of our last tour for us ..... a few brilliant individual performances, but generally a series to forget.

Zimmys post summed up the series IMO. Sure, Aus had some poor selections, but I'm not sure it would have made so much difference to the result.

Our bats punished everything remotely off line, and our bowlers simply didn't allow your top order to settle. Perth aside, we didn't have a single poor session in the field.

Different Aus selections may have put up more resistance, but I think it would only be in respect of making us bat again in a couple of matches and thus avoiding innings defeats.
Growler
Growler

Congrats to England thread - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Jan 2011, 17:13

I miss Zimmy circa 2003, none of this softc0ck 'well done' malarkey...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 18 Jan 2011, 21:43

Growler wrote:I guess to Aussies, this Ashes was the equivalent of our last tour for us ..... a few brilliant individual performances, but generally a series to forget.
What Ashes? The last series was in 2006/7...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 18 Jan 2011, 21:52

JKLever wrote:I miss Zimmy circa 2003, none of this softc0ck 'well done' malarkey...

Aye. I preferred the coftc0ck Zimmy circa 2005- "waaaaa, we're gonna lose the ashes this time for sure, waaaaaaaaaa " after one session of the series.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jan 2011, 22:03

Henry wrote:
JKLever wrote:I miss Zimmy circa 2003, none of this softc0ck 'well done' malarkey...

Aye. I preferred the coftc0ck Zimmy circa 2005- "waaaaa, we're gonna lose the ashes this time for sure, waaaaaaaaaa " after one session of the series.
Well, he was right to be fair...

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 18 Jan 2011, 22:05

Prophetic.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 19 Jan 2011, 06:12

So who did the Zimmy impersonation?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 19 Jan 2011, 06:33

Whoever it was it wasn't a very good one
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 19 Jan 2011, 07:07

Congrats to England thread - Page 2 16865810

Just ordered my free copy of this.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 19 Jan 2011, 07:17

A souvenir of something that never happened. Clever. Razz

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 19 Jan 2011, 07:24

I know the sprinkler happened, that's what I'm celebrating.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 19 Jan 2011, 16:06

Personally think Aus have reached their nadir - it's the usual hype that we could expect from England, post-mortem on a drubbing. All they've done is get mugged off by India (who wouldn't? get off the plane - no acclimatisation - just a fair old sh!tting on), couldn't cope with the No-Ballers over here which is more than fair enough and get drilled by a cohesive unit with distinct plans, every base being covered. It was a fine performance. If the NSP weren't so f*cking unbelievably thick it would've been a lot closer. Steve Smith is a joke. Any spinner but Hauritz is a joke. Get rid of those two, get Khawaja in at six, Hauritz in and get Watson to man up and bowl more overs. They'll be competitive.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 19 Jan 2011, 16:08

Danny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, old c*ck. HTF have you been?? And hearty congrats on the English victory. Very Happy
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next