Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread.

+16
JGK
Bradman
embee
horace
Mick Sawyer
G.Wood
Brass Monkey
Big Dog
skully
Hass
tricycle
lardbucket
Henry
Nath
PeterCS
Zat
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread. Empty The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread.

Post by Zat Sat 17 Dec 2011, 20:01

The more this bloke plays, with a down-to-earth, have-a-go attitude, the more I like him. I know I was probably the first former to get on the bandwagon, due to him being from my part of the world (ish) and because I have had some contact with his mum, but he seems to be the kind of player Australia should be picking. Take this, from the Fairfax press today:

The 24-year-old former Adelaide Oval groundsman from the New South Wales bush cast a despondent figure as he was consoled by Warner after Doug Bracewell struck the knockout blow. ''I was pretty gutted,'' Lyon said. ''The idea of cricket is you have the bat in your hands, you have to score runs, if you have the ball you take wickets. I don't think it matters if you're No. 1 or No. 11, your job is to score runs. It was gutting. That kind of experience takes a bit out of you.''

Some of his teammates should read that and rethink their attitudes.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread. Empty Re: The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread.

Post by PeterCS Sat 17 Dec 2011, 20:21

Better to like Lyon, than find reasons to be Beerful.

Except in Homer's sense.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread. Empty Re: The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread.

Post by Nath Sat 17 Dec 2011, 21:52

b/c he's not a tosser or commands the spotlight, like so many players these days
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11961
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 17 Dec 2011, 23:18

You often hear the stories about him being a club cricketer who was working as a groundsman, and suddenly thrust into first class cricket, and when you see him play you can tell. Not because of any lack of ability, but he just doesn't look like the typical athletic, groomed Aussie cricketer. He gives off the impression that he's a club cricketer who's been mistaken for someone more important and has suddenly found himself bowling in a test match for his country, but is happy to go along with it.

If you think back to the close finish of the Wanderers test, most international number 11 batsmen waiting to bat with 10 needed to win would be trying to look cool and calm, knowing the cameras are on them, but Lyon looked like he was dead-set sh*tting himself. It was honest and real, and frankly quite funny.

He wont always be successful, but the new Aus selection panel should stick with him for a while.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 17 Dec 2011, 23:21

His slightly left-field selection reminds me of those of Peter Taylor, John Watkins, and Tauseef Ahmed. If he can do as well as (1) or (3), he'll have done well enough.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 18 Dec 2011, 01:55

He's better than Doherty, Smith and Beer, while that's like saying he's better than hepatitis, there's enough reason to like him already. He could be a good international bowler, though it's hard to see him have a great series against India.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Sun 18 Dec 2011, 03:43

''The idea of cricket is you have the bat in your hands, you have to score runs, if you have the ball you take wickets. I don't think it matters if you're No. 1 or No. 11, your job is to score runs."

This is one of the best quotes from a cricketer I have seen... ever!

His team mates should be made to read it and re-read it until the point has sunk in.

Hass

The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread. MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 Dec 2011, 04:10

Aye, there's a lot to like about Elmer. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sun 18 Dec 2011, 06:47

tricycle wrote:He's better than Doherty, Smith and Beer, while that's like saying he's better than hepatitis, there's enough reason to like him already. He could be a good international bowler, though it's hard to see him have a great series against India.

Rubbish....Doherty is a far better limited over bowler.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 18 Dec 2011, 06:52

Mendis is better than Herath in ODIs but there's no debate as to who's better.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 18 Dec 2011, 07:03

Big Dog wrote:
tricycle wrote:He's better than Doherty, Smith and Beer, while that's like saying he's better than hepatitis, there's enough reason to like him already. He could be a good international bowler, though it's hard to see him have a great series against India.

Has Lyon even made his ODI/T20 debut for Australia yet?

He was basically selected for the Australian test team based on his Big Bash form.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sun 18 Dec 2011, 07:04

Henry wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Has Lyon even made his ODI/T20 debut for Australia yet?

No...and is unlikely to.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 18 Dec 2011, 20:13

Yeah, I don't mind Lyon. Gives it a bit of a rip, not afraid to give it a bit of air. Haven't seen too many good changes of pace yet but he's relatively young. Hauritz is probably better, though.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Sun 18 Dec 2011, 21:41

Zat wrote:The more this bloke plays, with a down-to-earth, have-a-go attitude, the more I like him. I know I was probably the first former to get on the bandwagon, due to him being from my part of the world (ish) and because I have had some contact with his mum, but he seems to be the kind of player Australia should be picking. Take this, from the Fairfax press today:

The first former what?
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 Dec 2011, 22:13

He knows Elmer's Mum. Maybe former MILFer? Twisted Evil
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Sun 18 Dec 2011, 23:04

Could explain why zat has taken such an interest in his career.

thin, fair haired - all the similarities are there
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 18 Dec 2011, 23:45

Brass Monkey wrote:Yeah, I don't mind Lyon. Gives it a bit of a rip, not afraid to give it a bit of air. Haven't seen too many good changes of pace yet but he's relatively young. Hauritz is probably better, though.

I'd have Lyon and Hauritz on a par as bowlers, with Hauritz the better batsman.

There's a suspicion however that Lyon has a bit more ticker.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 19 Dec 2011, 02:15

Henry wrote:You often hear the stories about him being a club cricketer who was working as a groundsman, and suddenly thrust into first class cricket, and when you see him play you can tell. Not because of any lack of ability, but he just doesn't look like the typical athletic, groomed Aussie cricketer. He gives off the impression that he's a club cricketer who's been mistaken for someone more important and has suddenly found himself bowling in a test match for his country, but is happy to go along with it.

If you think back to the close finish of the Wanderers test, most international number 11 batsmen waiting to bat with 10 needed to win would be trying to look cool and calm, knowing the cameras are on them, but Lyon looked like he was dead-set sh*tting himself. It was honest and real, and frankly quite funny.

He wont always be successful, but the new Aus selection panel should stick with him for a while.

The 'Reasons to like Nathan Lyon' thread. 182652
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 19 Dec 2011, 04:20

G.Wood wrote:
Zat wrote:The more this bloke plays, with a down-to-earth, have-a-go attitude, the more I like him. I know I was probably the first former to get on the bandwagon, due to him being from my part of the world (ish) and because I have had some contact with his mum, but he seems to be the kind of player Australia should be picking. Take this, from the Fairfax press today:

The first former what?
Farquin auto-spell correct...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 19 Dec 2011, 06:01

Lyon is the sort of whole hearted cricketer that every team needs
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 12 Dec 2014, 02:10

horace wrote:Lyon is the sort of whole hearted cricketer that every team needs

Aye.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Fri 12 Dec 2014, 02:38

plus he has an awesome first name. Wink
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11961

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 12 Dec 2014, 04:20

rofl...has been a while since he played a significant role in a cricket match
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 12 Dec 2014, 04:56

another reason for horrie to dislike Nathan Lyon

RB Simpson and N Lyon only two Oz spinners to Michelle in Oz vs Bannies
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 12 Dec 2014, 04:59

urrkkhh....I like Lyon but believe he needs to take wickets to keep his spot...which he has done in this match...

I hope he takes 6 wickets in the Bannies' second dig...this would expunge Simpson
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next