Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can any one solve this math problem?

+16
LeFromage
The One
taipan
horace
WideWally
furriner
embee
Batman
tricycle
Paul Keating
Gary 111
Growler
Brass Monkey
JGK
skully
PlanetPakistan
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Can any one solve this math problem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can any one solve this math problem?

Post by furriner Mon 15 Jul 2013, 04:50

PlanetPakistan wrote:.......
This problem was given to me by a guy at a party last night, he said it took him over a week to do it(he is very good at math).

I don't give a damn about the answer, I just want to know what kind of parties are you attending, man? Are you going to fritter away your youth just like that?
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Can any one solve this math problem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can any one solve this math problem?

Post by JGK Mon 15 Jul 2013, 04:51

It was a non-penetration party.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Jul 2013, 04:54

skully wrote:Yes, I'm a Civil Engineer, PP. Very Happy

I didn't know you were a friendly train driver.

Grouse.  Should be more of them. Public transport is stressful enough.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Mon 15 Jul 2013, 06:21

furriner wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:.......
This problem was given to me by a guy at a party last night, he said it took him over a week to do it(he is very good at math).

I don't give a damn about the answer, I just want to know what kind of parties are you attending, man?   Are you going to fritter away your youth just like that?

It was a math debate party.

The Pakistan version of the Soggy Biscuits game.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 15 Jul 2013, 06:37

JGK wrote:
skully wrote:Yes, I'm a Civil Engineer, PP. Very Happy

I didn't know you were a friendly train driver.

Grouse.  Should be more of them. Public transport is stressful enough.

I always thought S was a civil young man
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:42

No way is a 40 feet ladder lying across and resting over a wall across distance of just one foot lesser than it's own length all the way up at 7 feet by yard of imagination. Can't be raised more than 2-3 feet at best because no way the ladder has sufficient length to be able to rest 7 feet above. I used my own math equation. Its called common sense. LOL!

Last edited by Batman on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:47; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:46

Batman wrote:No way is a 40 feet ladder meeting the next wall at just one foot less distance all the way up at 7 feet by yard of imagination. Can't be raised more than 2-3 feet at best because no way the ladder has sufficient length to be able to rest 7 feet above. I used my own math equation. Its called common sense. LOL!

At the risk of NSR, you might want to acquaint yourself with this guy called Pythagoras.

Last edited by JGK on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:46; edited 1 time in total

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:46

I've got bad news for you, Vikas.

And it will actually meet the wall more than 8 feet up.
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:49

JGK wrote:At the risk of NSR, you might want to acquaint yourself with this guy called Pythagoras.

Its an acute triangle.

Laughing

Last edited by Batman on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:54; edited 2 times in total
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:51

Batman wrote:
JGK wrote:At the risk of NSR, you might want to acquaint yourself with this guy called Pythagoras.
I was thinking of the right angle isoceles triangle of a square + b square = c square.....

Laughing 

You couldn't have been thinking it otherwise you wouldn't have made your original post.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:54

I edited it. I just realized it wasn't a right angle triangle. It was an acute triangle.....where no sides get to 90 degrees....

Last edited by Batman on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:55; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:55

JGK wrote:
Batman wrote:
I was thinking of the right angle isoceles triangle of a square + b square = c square.....

Laughing 

You couldn't have been thinking it otherwise you wouldn't have made your original post.

It only works on isosceles triangles?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:56

Batman wrote:Yes. I edited it because I realized it wasn't a right angle triangle. It was an acute triangle.....where no sides get to 90 degrees....

Vikas buddy. A tip. Stop digging.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:56

taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:
Batman wrote:

Laughing 

Yes. And in this case I was wrong about the triangle nature. Its an acute triangle that the ladders are forming in trajectory....
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:56

Batman wrote:Yes. I edited it because I realized it wasn't a right angle triangle. It was an acute triangle.....where no sides get to 90 degrees....

What?????

Here in Australia, walls are normally perpendicular to the floor.

Do they build things differently in India?
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:57

Not really serious about solving this. I cant even solve. I am an artist Jim not some damned engineer.....

Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:57

Batman wrote:
taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:
Batman wrote:

Laughing 

Yes. And in this case I was wrong about the triangle nature. Its an acute triangle that the ladders are forming in trajectory....

Oh dear.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:58

WideWally wrote:

What?????

Here in Australia, walls are normally perpendicular to the floor.

Do they build things differently in India?
Haha. the walls are perpendicular. But the intersection point of both ladders is at an acute angle of unequal lengths.....

Last edited by Batman on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:58; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Mon 15 Jul 2013, 09:58

skully wrote:Nah, 28 feet ain't right. Sorry, can't let this go, PP. Have checked my maths and the Excel strings, so unless your mate gave you different ladder lengths, this is what the solution looks like...

Can any one solve this math problem? - Page 2 PPmaths2_zps6b87d234

Now A, don't be a complete dickhead all your life, ay. Give your little girl something to be proud of for a change. Cool 

Please check out skully's diagram.
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:05

The intersection point of both ladders form a triangle....I don't recall what process is followed after all this time, but I am fairly certain there are equations to determine at what height angles of a triangle intersect at.
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:54

Rolling Eyes 

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:26

Clearly Growls and Vikas are not mathematicians. smashpc 
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:38

PlanetPakistan wrote:

Sounds like a wild party. You crazy kids.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:00

I think he's called one too many girls a slut so all that's left to do at a party is maths debate.
baggygreen
baggygreen

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:12

skully wrote:Clearly Growls and Vikas are not mathematicians. smashpc 
Agreed. Never touched the damn thing with a pole since passing school. But now I am worried. My missus insists I look at junior's books and teach her. I dread maths suddenly. Algebra was always my Achilles heel.
couch
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next