Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

+42
*Buckaroo*
PlanetPakistan
pixie
filosofee
Eric Air Emu
Mick Sawyer
Ross
embee
horace
JKLever
freddled gruntbuggly
bodyline
G.Wood
JB
spangler
skully
Hass
peterg
The One
bliksem
Makaveli
GordoninPortsmouth
furriner
Merlin
Basil
Brass Monkey
Paul Keating
Zat
LeFromage
Allan D
eowyn
Forum Goat
taipan
HH_pink
lardbucket
Invader Zim
JGK
Henry
mynah
doremi
tac
Lara Lara Laughs
46 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* Empty *The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 08 Jan 2008, 04:39

Including the primaries.

Barack Obama has swept Iowa and is now a massive favourite to take New Hampshire as well. Apparently it's all getting to Hillary and she came close to tears after hearing the latest polls. Link.

On the Republican side, Huckabee won Iowa and McCain is favourite to win NH. Allan D's man, Rudy Giuliani managed to get an embarrassing 4% of the vote and finished 6th.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 04:40

Giuliani hasn't put any effort into Iowa or NH . . . his campaign doesn't kick off til Florida.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 08 Jan 2008, 04:53

Seems like a ridiculous strategy to ignore the first states and handicap yourself in terms of momentum.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:00

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Seems like a ridiculous strategy to ignore the first states and handicap yourself in terms of momentum.

If you only have limited resources, you go for the big states, Florida, SC, NY and New Jersey, which are all early and have more meaningon the overall race.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:06

I didn't think Giuliani did have limited resources though.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:08

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I didn't think Giuliani did have limited resources though.

He didn't the time available was best spent in minor states (especially Iowa which is largely Evangelistic) his machine is focussed as described above
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:28

Don't you just fall back to a point of no return most times if you don't do well in the first few primaries?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:34

That's what I thought. I think it's highly risky to ignore the first few and I would be very surprised if many or indeed any have been successfully nominated with that strategy.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:38

But Giuliani has such name recognition in the big states, and as the big states tend not to be very evangelistic leaving Huckabee, for instance with little real chance, it's not such a big concern for Giuliani.
Giuliani is betting that huckabee won't last much past NH, then he will be in a battle with Romney and McCain . . . he is confident he can run them down, especially now.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:56

Hard to tell at the moment. Keep in mind that for many Seppos the main concern may in the end be that they'd have to choose between a black or a woman on the one hand and an Italian on the other. Rolling Eyes
mynah
mynah

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 08 Jan 2008, 10:56

Clearly the Clinton "emotion" was a planned strategy to make her seem more 'human'. But apart from swaying a few middle aged women, it just makes her come accross as weak, imo. At the end of the day, Americans don't want their President breaking down in tears.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 08 Jan 2008, 11:52

I think Rudi has been waiting for Super Tuesday (next week I think) where there are 19 states which have primaries.

Hopefully Hilary will win or if Obama wins, he'll make Bill Secretary of State.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 08 Jan 2008, 11:57

I feel throughly sorry for Hillary. I still have no idea why she is so hated by just about every demographic, including some women and some democrats.

Though it goes a bit far with the misogyny angle and some of the criticisms of Obama are slightly harsh, I think this article by Aaronovitch raises some good points. Particularly that Hillary seems to be running for head of government, something she'd be highly competent at, whereas Obama is running for a sort of symbolic, head of state role. It also points out that some of Obama's policies are a bit wishy washy.

Link.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:11

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Clinton. She smugly thought she had it all wrapped up, but suddenly Obama's popularity surged, and in a panic she started making personal attacks on him in a desperate attempt to regain the upper hand. Bitch.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:13

Women are often accused of not being firm enough to hold their own in leadership positions - but when they prove that they have what it takes for the job, they're called hardnosed b1tches.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:24

What ever happened to the group "The Presidents of the USA"?

They were a hoot.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:26

Fark off, they sucked ass.

"Peaches, peaches for me, peaches for free, everyone loves peaches"

Wow, thanks for the effort guys.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:26

Movin to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches..... innocent
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:28

"Peaches come from a can,
they were put there by a man"

Grunge gold.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 12:34

mynah wrote:Women are often accused of not being firm enough.

usually only once

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Wed 09 Jan 2008, 02:15

McCain wins in NH?
HH_pink
HH_pink

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Wed 09 Jan 2008, 07:50

lardbucket wrote:
mynah wrote:Women are often accused of not being firm enough.

usually only once
Laughing

Oddly, my comment on the previous page looks like a direct reply to Henry's above it. In fact, Henry's comment wasn't there yet when I posted mine. Just goes to show how predictable some things are... Razz

Whatever, Clinton and McCain took New Hampshire.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 09 Jan 2008, 07:52

So much for opinion polls.

When I went to bed Obama was 12% points ahead.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 09 Jan 2008, 07:53

Well im sorry, but as a guy, I know all too well how girls are experts at turning on the tears when they want something. Hillary just conned her way to victory in NH.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 09 Jan 2008, 07:54

Henry wrote:Well im sorry, but as a gay, I know all too well how girls are experts at turning on the tears when they want something.

Fixed

Probably in tears cos you can't give it to them.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next