Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

+42
*Buckaroo*
PlanetPakistan
pixie
filosofee
Eric Air Emu
Mick Sawyer
Ross
embee
horace
JKLever
freddled gruntbuggly
bodyline
G.Wood
JB
spangler
skully
Hass
peterg
The One
bliksem
Makaveli
GordoninPortsmouth
furriner
Merlin
Basil
Brass Monkey
Paul Keating
Zat
LeFromage
Allan D
eowyn
Forum Goat
taipan
HH_pink
lardbucket
Invader Zim
JGK
Henry
mynah
doremi
tac
Lara Lara Laughs
46 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* - Page 2 Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

Post by Henry Wed 09 Jan 2008, 08:04

So you're saying that girls would be in tears if they couldn't get it on with a stunning piece of male artistry such as myself? Thanks!...........Now get away from me.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* - Page 2 Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread*

Post by mynah Wed 09 Jan 2008, 08:06

Henry wrote:Hillary just conned her way to victory in NH.
Ideal for the job, then.
mynah
mynah

*The United States Presidential Election - Official Thread* - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 09 Jan 2008, 08:08

Does anyone know if Bill can be Secretary of State?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 09 Jan 2008, 08:09

Henry wrote:So you're saying that girls would be in tears if they couldn't get it on with a stunning piece of male artistry such as myself? Thanks!...........Now get away from me.

No, I said you can't get it up.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:09

JGK wrote:Does anyone know if Bill can be Secretary of State?

Nope. Once a president, always a president. We address ex-presidents as presidents. They sometime take some goodwill positions after their terms though but generally don't involve themselves any more with administration.

Forum Goat

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:13

Wow. Totally unexpected result. I don't think even Hillary thought that this would happen.

Btw, does anyone know if Hillary is the first woman to run for President?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:17

Yes.

Dukacis (spelling probably horrendously wrong) had a woman running as his vice-presidential canditate when he lost.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:30

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Btw, does anyone know if Hillary is the first woman to run for President?

Yes

Forum Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:32

Forum Goat wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Btw, does anyone know if Hillary is the first woman to run for President?

Yes

So, is she ?
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:35

eowyn wrote:Dukacis (spelling probably horrendously wrong) had a woman running as his vice-presidential canditate when he lost.

Correct spelling: Dukakis. But his running mate (1988) was Lloyd Bentson.

I think you're talking about Geraldine Ferraro who was running mate of Walter Mondale in 1984 election against Reagan and Bush Sr. ticket in 1984.

Forum Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 09 Jan 2008, 14:59

Goat - are you American?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Wed 09 Jan 2008, 15:30

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Goat - are you American?

A naturalized one and an old fart too! -voting since 1984

Forum Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Wed 09 Jan 2008, 15:36

Lara Lara Laughs wrote: Btw, does anyone know if Hillary is the first woman to run for President?

Female candidates for US President go back to Victoria Woodhull in 1872 and Belva Ann Lockwood in 1884 & 1888 although there is some dispute as to whether their candidacies were valid (Woodhull, at 34, was underage and women did not yet have the vote) and whether any states printed their names on the ballot. Several minor parties have nominated women for both President and Vice-President since 1968 who have received valid votes with one, Tonie Nathan, becoming the first woman to receive a vote in the Electoral College, which actually formally decides the Presidential election (not the popular vote as we saw in 2000), when a renegade elector from Virginia in 1972 voted for the Libertarian ticket of John Hospers and Tonie Nathan rather than the Republican ticket of Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew to which he was pledged.

Here is an outline of some of the current debate about this:

Women Running For US President in the General Election

If Clinton wins the nomination she would be the first female major party candidate to be nominated for President although not the first to appear on a ticket (President or V-P, which voters cannot split if they wish to cast a valid vote), that feat belonging to Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, as stated above. Clinton is not the first woman to seek the nomination of a major party, that distinction belonging to Shirley Chisholm, a black Congresswoman from New York, who sought the Democratic nomination in 1972 but lost out to Senator George McGovern of South Dakota. Chisholm was also the first woman (as well as black candidate) to win a Presidential primary, winning New Jersey with 66% of the vote:

Shirley Chisholm

At the last election in 2004 Carol Moseley Braun, former Senator from Illinois (Obama's state) and the first black female member of the US Senate as well as former US Ambassador to New Zealand, contested the Democratic nomination but withdrew four days before the Iowa caucuses, endorsing Howard Dean instead:

Carol Moseley Braun
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:15

Cheers AD.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:40

Forum Goat wrote:
eowyn wrote:Dukacis (spelling probably horrendously wrong) had a woman running as his vice-presidential canditate when he lost.

I think you're talking about Geraldine Ferraro who was running mate of Walter Mondale in 1984 election against Reagan and Bush Sr. ticket in 1984.

Yes I am, I'm older than I like think I am and am develeping senile confusion on a grand scale. Embarassed
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:45

eowyn wrote:
Forum Goat wrote:

Yes I am, I'm older than I like think I am and am develeping senile confusion on a grand scale. Embarassed

I put that down to too much Welsh Fusilier . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:47

I just thought that made me go blind?
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:47

You got a Braille keyboard?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:49

Why do think my spelling is as appalling as it is and that I like you......
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:55

eowyn wrote:Why do think my spelling is as appalling as it is and that I like you......

touche

time for bed, it's 2 am. Catch ya tomorrow
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 09 Jan 2008, 16:56

touche

time for bed, it's 2 am. Catch ya tomorrow

Night, snuffly dreams.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 09 Jan 2008, 19:34

Is it just me that finds John Edwards incredibly slimy?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 09 Jan 2008, 19:40

Insincere is the word you're looking for.

From a big-shot lawyer - who would've thought it...?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 09 Jan 2008, 20:09

Henry wrote:Clearly the Clinton "emotion" was a planned strategy to make her seem more 'human'. But apart from swaying a few middle aged women, it just makes her come accross as weak, imo. At the end of the day, Americans don't want their President breaking down in tears.

Just for the record, I think the emotion was genuine. She was under a massive amount of pressure and I don't believe that she is calculating enough, or even physically able, to cry on demand.

She says herself that the incident gave her a bond with New Hampshire and helped her to win. I'm not sure it will work in the long run though. I think she'll alienate some independents who might have voted for her because they'll either interpret it as a cold, callous political move as you have or as a sign of "a woman's weakness". Whether that be later in the primaries or in the actual presidential election, I think it will happen at some point.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 09 Jan 2008, 21:35

Forum Goat are you New Yorker? Just wondering, if you don't know what I'm talking about ignore me.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next