Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JAMODI series, England v Australia, August 31 - September 13, 2015

+24
Blackadder
OP Tipping
Hass
WideWally
JGK
Red
furriner
Merlin
embee
Chivalry Augustus
PeterCS
Ethics? The Gall!
horace
skully
Big Dog
Winkle Spinner
taipan
Henry
Nath
lardbucket
Lindsay no.2
Brass Monkey
Basil
LeFromage
28 posters

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

JAMODI series, England v Australia, August 31 - September 13, 2015 - Page 25 Empty Re: JAMODI series, England v Australia, August 31 - September 13, 2015

Post by skully Mon 14 Sep 2015, 06:05

OP Tipping wrote:England did enough to keep that 6th place on the table.

Updated ICC ODI team rankings:

Australia 127
India 115
South Africa 110
New Zealand 109
Sri Lanka 103
England 100
Bangladesh 96
Pakistan 90
West Indies 88
Ireland 49
Zimbabwe 45
Afghanistan 41

JAMODIs (and the current bunch of teams that play them) - shit on a stick.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

JAMODI series, England v Australia, August 31 - September 13, 2015 - Page 25 Empty Re: JAMODI series, England v Australia, August 31 - September 13, 2015

Post by Lindsay no.2 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 18:25

Dello wrote:So, what did we learn?

1) FC runs don't mean shit. Jonny Bairstow could've scored 3000 runs this season for all I care, he still hasn't improved one iota since he came up short as an international cricketer three or four years ago. Alex Hales has been in the runs this season. Big whoop. Future Test opener? Dream on, chucklenuts.

Some players just have that extra sheen of quality about them that makes them worth persisting with, regardless of the numbers. And some don't.

2) Roy is in the former category. Still the cameo king, but his cameos have improved since the NZ series.

3) Rashid is doing a serviceable job in tandem with Moeen. Let's not wheel out James Tredwell again, eh?

4) Willy's a decent all round cricketer. Competitive. Could use an extra yard of pace and England giving him a defined batting role.

5) I quite like the look of Topley. Probably not a player for the here and now, but one to keep an eye out for.

6) James Taylor, when he's not dancing around like Tinkerbell, is a busy little f*cker who at they very least seems to relish a challenge. Then again, getting his breakfast cereal out of the cupboard above the hob every morning is probably a logistical nightmare for him, so he's battle hardened.

7) Morgan's a bloody good limited overs batsman. Wears a few too many on the noggin, though. Bit worrying.

Cool England are just an opener, some middle order batsmen, a keeper and two or three fast bowlers away from being a good ODI team. We're so close...

I think we learned that we're able to be a competitive ODI team - far from being the best, but certainly thinking and aiming to play in the current ODI style rather than adopting a style that is already past its sell by date and then wondering why we're getting arse raped so badly. Now we've just got to learn who are the players that will be able to consistently deliver that style of play.

Further to some of your numbered points...

1. Bairstow - yep. It's insane that he went back to county cricket and as stated by his coach, did no work to remedy his technical flaws. Essentially suggesting he either feels his flaws are inconsequential and he's awesome or that he knows he'll get another go at international level because we're too soft on demanding that our people perform better. Hales too looks a very one dimensional cricketer on the evidence of this summer (oh yeah, and I reckon he deliberately told Roy not to review the lb yesterday - reckon he knows he's maybe fighting against him for the opener's spot and thought 'fcuking not letting him get another big score here').

2. Roy - surely rising up the consideration list for the opener berth for the test team. Although Bumble is saying they should persist with Lyth. Wow. I hope not.

6. Taylor did really well and should get a long run in the ODI team to prove he can do it on various pitches against different types of attack. If he can, then he should become a stalwart of the team and perhaps that confidence and assurance might help him (and the selectors) feel worthy of getting a shot at claiming a spot in the test team once Bell has decided to call time on his career.

7. Morgan - his technique against the short ball is alarming, he gets really closed off and seems slow to react. Cummins had him in strife all series long and he needs to rapidly figure out a solution (I'd guess he'd be better off hooking in all circumstances) otherwise he'll become a casualty from either too many concussive knocks or the victim of a serious, serious injury.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Sep 2015, 19:59

Lindsay no.2 wrote:1. Bairstow - yep. It's insane that he went back to county cricket and as stated by his coach, did no work to remedy his technical flaws. Essentially suggesting he either feels his flaws are inconsequential and he's awesome or that he knows he'll get another go at international level because we're too soft on demanding that our people perform better...

I recall that bit of news coming out and having a chuckle about it, and oh look, he hasn't got any better, surprise surprise.

I suppose it might be difficult to not pick someone averaging 100 for the season, gaping holes in the technique or otherwise, but that's probably why you don't pick any old idiot off the street as a selector.

I recall Vaughan saying something like this: Work on your weaknesses. Don't take the easy choice and work on your strengths, you'll never get any better. Obviously I ignore this, but he's right. Maybe Bairstow spends his net sessions smiting everything through midwicket like a pro Cool.

But what do I know, I'm no double champion, double centurion coach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 Sep 2015, 20:26

There is a marked difference in his stance between now and 18 months ago - he's not upright a la Gooch rather than crouched like a goblin. Doesn't seem to have helped him in getting into a decent position when the ball is released, but still is a complete change
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 15 Sep 2015, 21:34

Brass Monkey wrote:There is a marked difference in his stance between now and 18 months ago - he's not upright a la Gooch rather than crouched like a goblin. Doesn't seem to have helped him in getting into a decent position when the ball is released, but still is a complete change

So he's learned to stand up. Potty training next.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25