Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*The United States Presidential Election * (III)

+19
whitburn
beamer
WideWally
buckSH
tricycle
Henry
embee
Bradman
Basil
spangler
taipan
JGK
horace
lardbucket
skully
Fred Nerk
Growler
PeterCS
Big Dog
23 posters

Page 32 of 39 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35 ... 39  Next

Go down

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) - Page 32 Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election * (III)

Post by beamer Thu 07 Jan 2021, 21:48

lardbucket wrote:I recall when some folk deemed Pence madder than Trump ... thankfully it seems they were wrong.
Mad in a different way - “curing” gay people with electric shocks, and that kind of thing...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) - Page 32 Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election * (III)

Post by horace Thu 07 Jan 2021, 21:59

beamer wrote:
lardbucket wrote:I recall when some folk deemed Pence madder than Trump ... thankfully it seems they were wrong.
Mad in a different way - “curing” gay people with electric shocks, and that kind of thing...

YEP.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 07 Jan 2021, 22:01

There's Henry the viii clauses littering our legislation. Parliamentary legal drafstmen hate them, public servants love them. That's about as close I can get to ultra vires. Can't recall a recent case. Some immigration decisions perhaps, national security maybe.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 07 Jan 2021, 22:32

Bradman wrote:There's Henry the viii clauses littering our legislation.  Parliamentary legal drafstmen hate them, public servants love them.  That's about as close I can get to ultra vires.   Can't recall a recent case.  Some immigration decisions perhaps, national security maybe.

Administrative Review claims and processes in some jurisdictions eg Vic have contested whether decisions were within power or not.

Had plenty of fun writing drafting instructions and then debating it out with Parliamentary Counsel. I really admired those folk fwiw and observed their earnest struggles in drafting Bills in plain English.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 07 Jan 2021, 23:28

I hated them. The number of times I had legislation come back red inked (metaphorically) to all fark.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 07 Jan 2021, 23:56

Bradman wrote:I hated them.  The number of times I had legislation come back red inked (metaphorically) to all fark.  

hehehe.... experienced similar. Once I got a lengthy exposition on the differences between must, shall and will and discussion of the merits of using qualifiers like 'so far as is practicable'.
horace
horace

lardbucket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 00:25

You should try getting warrantless entry powers past them (now I sound like the arch fascist). I finally had to dig out an old reg to do with animal cruelty. Even that was three months of paperwork, shortly followed by my resignation and an oath to look after number one from then on in.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 01:28

Bradman wrote:You should try getting warrantless entry powers past them (now I sound like the arch fascist).  I finally had to dig out an old reg to do with animal cruelty.  Even that was three months of paperwork, shortly followed by my resignation and an oath to look after number one from then on in.

GOLD.

I resolved a long time ago to not work for the Feds. I am guessing that was your employment.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 02:32

Nup someone convinced me to work with the Premiers dept with a roving brief to cover infrastructure. Basically they were screwing around with heavy vehicle legislation and every public servant in the state was running for cover. I had trucking and cattle cred and actually believed in the legislation. The number of times I called bullshit on the truckies and farmers is the reason I have no friends and am thus stuck with a house load of mooching rellys.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 02:35

Bradman wrote:Nup someone convinced me to work with the Premiers dept with a roving brief to cover infrastructure.  Basically they were screwing around with heavy vehicle legislation and every public servant in the state was running for cover.  I had trucking and cattle cred and actually believed in the legislation.  The number of times I called bullshit on the truckies and farmers is the reason I have no friends and am thus stuck with a house load of mooching rellys.

lol... Qld?
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 08:02

Chaos in Trumpland as a number of Cabinet members and senior aides resign.

He and family are leaving the White House on the 19th, presumably so he does not have to greet Biden on the 20th.

Some chat about booting him via another impeachment. If successful this would bar him from running for future office.

Five people now dead. Pipe bombs near RNC and Dems head offices. The inauguration may have a lot of security, but ya never know.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 08 Jan 2021, 12:09

Who’s after Biden and Harris in the line of succession? Hopefully the security services will keep the two of them well apart, anyway...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 08 Jan 2021, 12:12

horace wrote:Five people now dead. Pipe bombs near RNC and Dems head offices. The inauguration may have a lot of security, but ya never know.

Trump should be charged with sedition.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 13:57

beamer wrote:Who’s after Biden and Harris in the line of succession? Hopefully the security services will keep the two of them well apart, anyway...

Speaker of the House.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 08 Jan 2021, 14:08

Who is a Democrat, so the nutcases would have three to take out before potentially restoring a Republican presidency...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 17:14

President pro tem after that and the dems control the senate.   Then you get into the cabinet none of whom have been confirmed.  Kerry's supposed to be sec state I think.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 08 Jan 2021, 18:20

Bradman wrote:President pro tem after that and the dems control the senate.   Then you get into the cabinet none of whom have been confirmed.  Kerry's supposed to be sec state I think.
But the former is an 87-year-old Republican, and Trump’s cabinet remains in place until Biden is inaugurated.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 19:08

Well that's true of the cabinet but the new senate and house are up and running and you're really drawing a long bow here. But I spose after the events of this week anything is possible.

If the republicans had any sense they'd invoke 25 and wash their hands of the maniac. Might even do Pence a bit of good down the track.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 20:44

Bradman wrote:Well that's true of the cabinet but the new senate and house are up and running and you're really drawing a long bow here.  But I spose after the events of this week anything is possible.

If the republicans had any sense they'd invoke 25 and wash their hands of the maniac.  Might even do Pence a bit of good down the track.

25 is hard to organise. Impeachment is easier.

Trump's smart move is to resign and get pardons out of Pence.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 21:04

You can't impeach the guy in the time he's got left. 25 can happen today. And yes he can appeal to a joint sitting but he's still out on his arse and congress can FAFF around until inauguration day.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 22:10

Bradman wrote:You can't impeach the guy in the time he's got left.  25 can happen today.  And yes he can appeal to a joint sitting but he's still out on his arse and congress can FAFF around until inauguration day.

Hmmn. Think the Dems want to ensure he is banned from running for future office.

Trump's smart play is to bargain with Pence (and probably Biden behind the scenes) that he will resign in return for Pence pardoning him and his brood for everything down to parking tickets.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 08 Jan 2021, 22:31

Ulysses Grant was frequently warned for riding his horse or driving a carriage pissed off his brain. Weird term "high crimes and misdemeanors". But that might be the play they're looking at. Resign and get the pardons you want.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 23:15

Bradman wrote:Ulysses Grant was frequently warned for riding his horse or driving a carriage pissed off his brain.  Weird term "high crimes and misdemeanors".   But that might be the play they're looking at.  Resign and get the pardons you want.

Should also be required to forgo charging the taxpayer for the accommodation of Secret Service when he stays at one of his properties.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Jan 2021, 23:17

He is a cornered rat at the moment. I would love to be a the negotiating table on his pardon.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Fri 08 Jan 2021, 23:52

The Mensa candidate doing the JR Ewing impersonation on Pelosi's desk is one Richard Barnett.

Richard = Dick, Barnet = Head. Whodathunkit?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 39 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35 ... 39  Next