Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian ball tampering headlines.

+28
krikri
ojitarian
MoH
Paul Keating
WideWally
PeterCS
furriner
beamer
taipan
Fred Nerk
tricycle
Aditya
OP Tipping
Growler
Dello
Basil
Nath
JGK
Bradman
embee
Red
Big Dog
horace
lardbucket
skully
Henry
Blackadder
whitburn
32 posters

Page 30 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 30 Empty Re: Australian ball tampering headlines.

Post by taipan Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:54

lardbucket wrote:
Bradman wrote:
Red wrote:Think it's a smart move by Smith. He has the public in his corner after the lachrymose press conference and he will be seen as having some humility and integrity.

Warner is older and CA is already at the end of their tether where he is concerned. He probably thinks he has nothing to lose.

OK that's got to be the most obscure word used on this forum.

It's Red's favourite, has used it 1087 times on this forum alone

That's a bit egregious of you.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 30 Empty Re: Australian ball tampering headlines.

Post by Red Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:55

It's only used when it's the apposite term.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:58

why write tearful when you can write lachrymose

why write pretty when you can write pulchritudinous

etc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38068
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 04 Apr 2018, 11:23

I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as Captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the

Dave Warner is a qunt if he challenges his ban

sanctions. They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.

Interesting reading between the lines of the Smith tweet

It is quite acceptable to accept responsibility for your actions ...and also argue the fairness of the sanctions
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26185
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:08

Indeed, why write excremental digestive waste when you can just write crap?

But we all have words we love to use. For instance I'm a massive fan of 'cantankerous' but it never gets an airing on this forum, uncanny really....

Last edited by Fred Nerk on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:13; edited 1 time in total

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8806
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:09

taipan wrote:
Bradman wrote:It's not leadership Red.  It's a stitch up.  This is a farce.  Unless Sutherland and Howard go without golden parachutes this thing is nonsensical.
S

Word.

Agreed.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:10

Correction.... can I had the universally reviled Kjnr?
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:13

And on that note embee, I'm going to put my head over the parapet here and argue a point for David Warner, at the risk of incurring the wrath of Australian friends on this forum.

This became so much more than ball tampering the moment Bancroft deceived the umpires when challenged. That started the fire, so to speak - and at the following press conference, Smith and Bancroft threw petrol on it with the nonsense about sticky tape.

The sanctions are not for ball tampering - they're for lying to the umpires, the press, the cricketing public in general ... and turning Australian cricket into a three-ring circus.

Here's the difficulty - Smith & Bancroft are on camera for the world to see. Warner is not, and (distasteful as this is) I've not seen, or heard any evidence of him telling lies about the situation. On that basis alone he has an argument about the fairness of the sanctions.

Yes, he is an unpleasant individual of the highest order. As their attack dog, the powers that be had chances enough to keep him on a shorter leash and spectacularly failed to do so. Now, from 10,000 miles away - it does look like CA have taken this opportunity to put as much blame onto him as they can. Anger towards, and dislike of the bloke to one side, he's being seen as disposable (which may be true in itself) - but is it justice ?

I have to say I'm not 100% convinced.
Growler
Growler

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 30 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:16

You are a kind man Growler. I'm sorry I have long despised the creep.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:20

That's exactly why we need a process - so nobody can whinge about anybody being thrown to the SBM pitchfork club.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8806
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:35

Growls - Your reasoning and verdict re. Warner sounds more like  one handed down from the soft-cocks at the European "Court of Justice" in the Hague, after their 16 month deliberations!

Warner has admitted to full complicity in tampering the ball.
He has not denied the using of sandpaper to effect such tampering.
He is on camera (the later press conference) admitting these facts.

He is therefore, by default, entirely guilty of the charge, regardless of whether he was 'caught on camera' or whether he was absent at the time of the revelations by Smith and Bancroft.

Guilty as charged.

I would however agree, that the bans could have been substantially less had the two batsmen revealed in the first instance that it was sandpaper and not sticky tape.

Sure, there would have been Gasps, Shudders and much wringing of hands BUT, it would have been out in there in the open at the very beginning. THAT was the silly cock-up.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:37

[quote="horace"]You are a kind man Growler. I'm sorry I have long despised the creep.[/quote

Thanks, h.

I have to say I've never been a fan either. Whilst many top achievers in may fields are grumpy, prickly, abrasive to the point of nastiness even, DW was often more extreme than almost all his contemporaries.

Admittedly, as I sasid - being English, I don't have the same emotional investment in it all, and so (maybe) I'm seeing it all with a slightly more detatched perspective. Whether it's true or not, it doesn't *look* right, from here.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:37

Merlin wrote:Growls - Your reasoning and verdict re. Warner sounds more like  one handed down from the soft-cocks at the European "Court of Justice" in the Hague, after their 16 month deliberations!

He is therefore, by default, entirely guilty of the charge, regardless of whether he was 'caught on camera' or whether he was absent at the time of the revelations by Smith and Bancroft.

Guilty as charged.

I would however agree, that the bans could have been substantially less had the two batsmen revealed in the first instance that it was sandpaper and not sticky tape.

Sure, there would have been Gasps, Shudders and much wringing of hands BUT, it would have been out in there in the open at the very beginning. THAT was the silly cock-up.

And the comment about the leadership group?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:39

What about it?

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:42

Merlin wrote:What about it?

Part of the cock up in my eyes. The implication was more than two players were involved. So either Smith was falsely chucking other players under the bus, or he lied to the inquiry.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:47

Merlin wrote:Growls - Your reasoning and verdict re. Warner sounds more like  one handed down from the soft-cocks at the European "Court of Justice" in the Hague, after their 16 month deliberations!

Guilty as charged.

You've half-got it Merls.

Yes, DW has admitted guilt to the sandpaper etc, so guilty as charged. But .....

They weren't **punished** for ball tampering alone ...

They were punished for lying, covering-up and embarrassing CA.

There's the subtle difference which, dislike and emotion to one side say that of the three - he's carrying the can, not least the perpetual ban on leadership roles.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 04 Apr 2018, 12:53

Taips - I agree.
Perhaps Smith was aware that dragging Warner under the bus with him was beneficial to the team.
Or perhaps Warner was complicit after all - who knows!

However, I cannot for a moment, believe that three batsmen had the entire wrap on sanding the ball without concern/input from one or more of the bowlers or that Lehmann was an innocent bystander.

But sadly this particular chapter might have to wait until a couple of the team have retired and finally get around to writing a specific chapter "revealing all"  in their memoirs.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 05 Apr 2018, 07:30

Warner is not going to appeal his suspension.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 05 Apr 2018, 07:33

Big Dog wrote:Warner is not going to appeal his suspension.

Interesting.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 05 Apr 2018, 07:37

taipan wrote:

Interesting.

Again. Maybe he's cut a deal about playing in other comps.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 05 Apr 2018, 07:41

Appeal the suspension and his file would definitely have been marked.

Take his medicine and he MIGHT have another chance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38068

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 05 Apr 2018, 07:44

JGK wrote:
taipan wrote:

Interesting.

Again.  Maybe he's cut a deal about playing in other comps.

Let's see where he pops up.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 05 Apr 2018, 08:01

lardbucket wrote:Appeal the suspension and his file would definitely have been marked.

Take his medicine and he MIGHT have another chance.

Plus he couldn't play the race card.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Thu 05 Apr 2018, 16:26

embee wrote:Kyle and Jackie O have defended their phuckwit "Intern Pete" who made a goose of himself at the Steve Smith press conference 

Fred Nerk wrote:The Kyles of this world should be collectively called the R Bend - because they're only one link on the food chain above the S Bend.

Fork the teams, I think they should start with sanctioning every Aussie forumer for talking a language of their own. Apart from providing each with their personal translator.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 05 Apr 2018, 21:21

^^

very funny
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next