Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squad for Aussie tour of India

+22
JGK
Red
Bradman
philcric
SG
Brass Monkey
doremi
JKLever
Nath
taipan
Chandan
The One
tac
skully
Zat
Para Batsman
Henry
embee
PearlJ
Ross
G.Wood
horace
26 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Squad for Aussie tour of India - Page 4 Empty Re: Squad for Aussie tour of India

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 13:59

if fair wickets are presented
So greentops are fair wickets then?

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Squad for Aussie tour of India - Page 4 Empty Re: Squad for Aussie tour of India

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:01

I think thats the challenge of playing and winning in different conditions and circumstances. If you get and win on your type of wickets all the time then where is the charm in that?

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:01

Which of McGrath Gillespie and Kasprowicz is playing?

How many Tests have Lee , Clark and Johnson played in India?

India only needed three players to beat us in 2001

How is our batting stronger?...No Langer , Punter is Harby's bunny , No Gilchrist , Hayden is returning from injury and the Selectors think Watto can bat at 6 FFS
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:01

skully wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
skully wrote:
PearlJ wrote:Dear god. With doremi and skully it's just going to be one big reverse woof fest..... *groan* pale
Far cough. dori is the "dooooooooooooooomed" merchant. I call it like I see it.

Fair enough.

You don't think we can win the series then?
Well, we don't have to win it. I think we may be able to sneak a win if fair wickets are presented, but if Bhajji and Jumbo friendly crumblies are served up, we don't have the artillery to match them in the spin dept.

I'll take 1-1.

I agree Harby could be a threat (Even though he wasn't in Australia). But If our batsmen cannot deal with an over the hill Kumble then I would be annoyed.

And I don't think you need a good spinner to win in India. SA got 1-1 and they had Paul Harris. England got 1-1 and they had a raw Panesar and...........Shaun Udal. And I think we have better batsmen and seamers than them.

There are plenty of negatives sure. But I think there are more positives Very Happy
PearlJ
PearlJ

Squad for Aussie tour of India - Page 4 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:02

And as far as Australian teams of last 15-years or so have shown that barring on few occasions, they've what it takes to win in ALL conditions.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:03

SA got 1-1 and they had Paul Harris
Harris didn't have much to do with the result of that series.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:03

SG wrote:
if fair wickets are presented
So greentops are fair wickets then?
Now now SG, don't get all snotty. Man, is it rag week or what?

A fair wicket is one which gives the bowlers something on the first morning and on late day 4 and in day 5. A sh!tty Indian wicket is one which turns square from 30 minutes after the toss.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:03

Whereas I think India are a worse team overall than they were last time.
Agreed.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:04

A sh!tty Indian wicket is one which turns square from 30 minutes after the toss.
While greentops seam on most days. They're fair wickets then?

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:06

SG wrote:I think thats the challenge of playing and winning in different conditions and circumstances. If you get and win on your type of wickets all the time then where is the charm in that?
Or if you go two-down (in said away different conditions and circumstances) you can squeal like a stuck pig and threaten to fly home with two Tests to play if you don't get the umpires of your choice. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:07

Apart from Mumbai in '04, show me one venue for Ind-Aus tests which suits your definition of sh1tty Indian wicket.

And whether you know it or not Mumbai in '04 was lashed with unseasonal rains just before the start of that test.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:07

SG wrote:
A sh!tty Indian wicket is one which turns square from 30 minutes after the toss.
While greentops seam on most days. They're fair wickets then?
I'll take a green top, if that's what you are offering. But you are on the finest Indian hemp if you think such wickets will be prepared.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:08

skully wrote:
SG wrote:I think thats the challenge of playing and winning in different conditions and circumstances. If you get and win on your type of wickets all the time then where is the charm in that?
Or if you go two-down (in said away different conditions and circumstances) you can squeal like a stuck pig and threaten to fly home with two Tests to play if you don't get the umpires of your choice. Rolling Eyes
Not related to this discussion in any way.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:08

embee wrote:Which of McGrath Gillespie and Kasprowicz is playing?

How is our batting stronger?...No Langer , Punter is Harby's bunny , No Gilchrist , Hayden is returning from injury and the Selectors think Watto can bat at 6 FFS

Does them not having played a Test in India mean they can't win us the Test series? No it doesn't. Lee and Clark have good enough track records to suggest that they can do well there.

Harby is not the player he was back in 2001 or even 2004. And neither is SRT, Dravid, Laxman or Kumble. Sehwag is the only one you could say has improved.

And in his last Test innings v Harby Ponting scored 140. And do you really think that a player of his quality is going to continue to average 12 in India? He's done well in SL and against India at home. Hardly suggests a guy who is incapable of doing well in India.

The batting is stronger because Clarke is a better player than he was, Hayden is in better form, Hussey is there, Ponting will be fit from the start and Katich is also a better player.

I'm not stupid enough to think we will walk all over India. But I also realise that we have a great chance of winning the series.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:09

SG wrote:

I know. But it just shows you don't need a world beating spinner to win in India.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:09

I'll take a green top
There you're.

Thats because pace is your strength. But India can't have turners (because of spin being its strength since eternity) because they're bad wickets for cricket. Right!!

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:11

PearlJ wrote:
SG wrote:

I know. But it just shows you don't need a world beating spinner to win in India.
Correct. You need good pace attack to beat India in India. Thats what the secret of 2 Indian losses at home during this decade.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:13

But you are on the finest Indian hemp if you think such wickets will be prepared.
What about Nagpur '04 then? What about Mohali? And what about Ahmedabad earlier this year?

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:18

Just give the sandy vag a flush will ya SG. Jeez. You seem highly strung this evening.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:20

And do you really think that a player of his quality is going to continue to average 12 in India?

No, but it would be hella funny.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:24

PearlJ wrote:
embee wrote:Which of McGrath Gillespie and Kasprowicz is playing?

Does them not having played a Test in India mean they can't win us the Test series? No it doesn't. Lee and Clark have good enough track records to suggest that they can do well there.

Harby is not the player he was back in 2001 or even 2004. And neither is SRT, Dravid, Laxman or Kumble. Sehwag is the only one you could say has improved.

And in his last Test innings v Harby Ponting scored 140. And do you really think that a player of his quality is going to continue to average 12 in India? He's done well in SL and against India at home. Hardly suggests a guy who is incapable of doing well in India.

The batting is stronger because Clarke is a better player than he was, Hayden is in better form, Hussey is there, Ponting will be fit from the start and Katich is also a better player.

I'm not stupid enough to think we will walk all over India. But I also realise that we have a great chance of winning the series.

Ponting has a great track record ...except in India ...so there is no guarantee what Lee and Clark might produce ...Johnson still has his "L" plates on as a Test bowler ...and our spinners are a choice between a raw old vomit and a dubber reject ....Pup will get a shitload of overs

Hayden has no form ...he's been injured ...Clarke was fantastic in India last time ...he's probably at the same level ...Harby knows he has Punter's measure in India (and elsewhere) 12 might be optimistic ...Katich did well last time (at 3) and there is no guarantee he will play before Watto (at 6) ...maybe open with him instead of Hattie ...and Paris improves over Marto but not enough to cover the Gilly Haddin gap
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:25

skully wrote:Just give the sandy vag a flush will ya SG. Jeez. You seem highly strung this evening.
Instead of resorting to this why don't you give point by point reply?

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:26

skully wrote:Just give the sandy vag a flush will ya SG. Jeez. You seem highly strung this evening.

Typical Skully ...you want to turn a dust bowl into a green top
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:26

Paris improves over Marto
I doubt that.

Martyn was awesome in that series and was one of the main reason why Australia won that series.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 12 Sep 2008, 14:28

SG wrote:
Paris improves over Marto
I doubt that.

Martyn was awesome in that series and was one of the main reason why Australia won that series.

only helps my point that we arent as good as last time
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next