Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham?

+27
Merlin
embee
taipan
ten years after
horace
Ross
GordoninPortsmouth
lardbucket
eowyn
DJ_Smerk
PeterCS
redmondian
Chivalry Augustus
Paul Keating
freddled gruntbuggly
Basil
Zat
JGK
doremi
Hass
Henry
peterg
tac
Invader Zim
skully
JKLever
Red
31 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham?

Post by peterg Mon 02 Mar 2009, 06:09

Until the 1950's Australia produced a great all rounder at least once in every cricketing generation. Giffen, Noble, Armstrong, Gregory, Miller, Benaud, Davidson.

What went wrong with the conveyor belt?

Much less common also have been good batsmen who could bowl decently.
Benaud's team had Mackay, Simpson, O'Neill.
Chappell had himself and his brother, plus Walters.

peterg

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham?

Post by Henry Mon 02 Mar 2009, 06:17

Batting wise, MJ probably has the talent to be as good as Wasim Akram. Bowling wise, he's not even close and with that slingy action, he'll never consistently bring the ball back in to the right handers.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by redmondian Sun 22 Mar 2009, 17:49

So have Australia finally found the all-rounder they were looking for? He seems to be quite a bit better than the other contenders with that label being bandied about...
redmondian
redmondian

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 22 Mar 2009, 17:50

The next Keith Miller?

All he needs is a Messerschmitt.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 22 Mar 2009, 17:52

Please play him as the allrounder at 6. Please!!!!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 22 Mar 2009, 17:54

The GiP Rule means MJ can only play as one of four bowlers.

So stop your pleading you Pommie drongo :o

Last edited by PeterCS on Sun 22 Mar 2009, 18:00; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Mar 2009, 17:59

Good on Johnson today! First thing I thought was 'here's another Davo'. Or maybe another Wasim Akram instead.

He hit out well in a no-win situation. Clearly he has talent. I think #8 is pobably right for him at the moment. I want to see Son of Chris start hitting like that (when the pressure is on).

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 22 Mar 2009, 18:02

Let's not woof him too early. Remember when Aus prescribed Shane Watson for All-round greatness, now look at him, he's as fragile as a ming vase in a Karate Competition.

I agree Midge is amazing, he's certainly Australia's newest Stand out performer of the moment. I'm hoping he'll do a Warney down the order in the Ashes and score valuable run's whilst doing an equally efficient job with the ball and keeping that average ticking below 30.

He could really light up the Series if his Form continues!
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 22 Mar 2009, 18:43

He's a perfect number eight all the ways it's possible to be a perfect number eight.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 22 Mar 2009, 18:44

I thought he was a Perfect 10?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:34

Henry wrote:Amazing how quick the Aussies are to jerk off over their own players.

Henry, The only one 'jerking off' is 'Red'. Most Australians on this thread think 'Red' is talking bollocks out of his arsehole.

peterg forgets Reiffel, who was 45 runs shy of the 1000 runs - 100 wickets double, deprived by selectors obsessed with what Lee might (and never did) become.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:39

... and Pontoon, Lee will never play for Australia again.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:43

This last game has settled Australia's spin bowling position for the Ashes. It will be shared by North, Clarke, and Katich. Haddin will bat at 7 (at least to start with; he may be replaced by Wade). Four MF bowlers, including Johnson at 8, complete the team. These four should be Johnson, Siddle, Clark, and Hilfenhaus; with Bracken the bowler to come in if there is an injury.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:48

Have you occupied the NSP HQ, lardy? Smile

(Did you remember the kalashnikov?)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:48

Mitch is lovely, some of you can't see the wood for the trees.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:52

I think the 'wood' is in the pants of those suggesting that M Johnson might be the next Botham ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GordoninPortsmouth Sun 22 Mar 2009, 19:56

lardbucket wrote:... and Pontoon, Lee will never play for Australia again.

I'd like to think you were right...but I'd wager you're not.

GordoninPortsmouth

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 22 Mar 2009, 20:02

He'll have to play his brown paper bag to get an Ashes tour.

He's had no recent games, he's always been shit in England, he's yet to recover from his injury, he's always been shit in England, he has exhibited marked mental and physical fragility over the last two years, he's always been shit in England, there are at least 8 better bowlers in Australia, and he's always been shit in England.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GordoninPortsmouth Sun 22 Mar 2009, 20:04

lardbucket wrote:He'll have to play his brown paper bag to get an Ashes tour.

He's had no recent games, he's always been shit in England, he's yet to recover from his injury, he's always been shit in England, he has exhibited marked mental and physical fragility over the last two years, he's always been shit in England, there are at least 8 better bowlers in Australia, and he's always been shit in England.

And he's purdy...you may be in denial lards but he'll be there.

GordoninPortsmouth

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 22 Mar 2009, 20:04

According to Lardy he's always been Shit in England...
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Mar 2009, 20:09

He's a bit goofy. Sir Ian has never been goofy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Sun 22 Mar 2009, 22:39

If Midge keeps it up he could bat at seven and we could select a 'keeper instead of a backstop.
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 22 Mar 2009, 23:10

[quote="Ross"]If Midge keeps it up he could bat at seven and we could select a 'keeper instead of a backstopAunt Sally.[/quote

fixed...haddin is the worst keeper that I can remember
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 22 Mar 2009, 23:11

great knock from midge and ably supported by macca...pity the middle order only seem to fire when we are not in trouble
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 23 Mar 2009, 00:24

Johnson's batting is probably on a par with Shaun Pollock's, and South Africa kept him at 8 for most of his career.

Most of Johnson's significant test scores have come where Aus have been pretty much down and out and there is nothing to lose. I've seen him get out pretty tamely in several tight situations where Aus have needed someone to step up. He clearly has a good eye and a natural ability to time a cricket ball, but imo Aus would be taking a big risk promoting him to number 7.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next