Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

+24
lardbucket
Ross
Josh Carney
Zat
ojitarian
Blackadder_
Brass Monkey
Fred Nerk
please don't yell
G.Wood
doremi
Geoffrey Trueman
tac
bodyline
skully
horace
LeFromage
Henry
embee
PearlJ
Mick Sawyer
Basil
JGK
DJ_Smerk
28 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. Empty Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:19

His bowling does not look like he'll be in the greats. He may have a Geoff Lawson or McDermott sort of career, but he will not be as good as McGrath or even Lee IMO.

what do you lot think?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by JGK Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:21

He could be both.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:24

An Overrated Great?

Who is in that class at the moment?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:25

I would say he is a poor mans Chaminda Vaas with his Lefty action.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:32

I mean I would choose him over Tait, anyday, but the fact still remains, would he be the bowler you turn to in say the 2009 Ashes Series who will turn the game for you.

Or an equally equivalent series of importance.

If I were the ACB I'd see how he get's on, but even from his ODI career, I'd be a bit worried.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:34

Technically, I'm jumping the gun on all accounts. He could be fair dinkum in the Sri Lanka Test Series. But at the moment, I'm worried about Australias 3rd Seamer position. If Midge fails, bring in Milf.

Milf for Midge if Midge fails.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:36

DJ_Smerk wrote:Technically, I'm jumping the gun on all accounts. He could be fair dinkum in the Sri Lanka Test Series. But at the moment, I'm worried about Australias 3rd Seamer position. If Midge fails, bring in Milf.

Milf for Midge if Midge fails.

Are you a closet Aussie?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:38

I have been reading Steve Waughs Autobiography, which so far, is an absolutely Cracking Read.

But no, I just don't see Midge as Test Status yet.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:45

DJ_Smerk wrote:His bowling does not look like he'll be in the greats. He may have a Geoff Lawson or McDermott sort of career, but he will not be as good as McGrath or even Lee IMO.

what do you lot think?

Lee? You rate him above Lawson & McDermott?

TBH, I'm struggling with MJ's selection but have no trouble rating him more highly than the imposter.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:47

DJ_Smerk wrote:I would say he is a poor mans Chaminda Vaas with his Lefty action.

More like a poor man's Wasim Akram. 15 kph quicker than the admirable Chaminda.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 07 Nov 2007, 00:48

Henry and Dermott were better than Lee probably, but I think Lee will prosper more than Midge in later life. Even if he's bowled 9 no-balls since the free ball ruling has come into ODI Cricket.

But as I said, Midge hasn't even had a test match yet. He could pick up a 10fer, but im not holding my breath at the Gabba.

Stewie and Blee will probably pick up most Scalps with Magoo chipping in as the Lankans are no Amateurs, even on Aussie Pitches. I'm afraid they'll do better than England did.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:08

DJ_Smerk wrote:I have been reading Steve Waughs Autobiography, which so far, is an absolutely Cracking Read.

But no, I just don't see Midge as Test Status yet.

Hi5! Me too.

Johnson looks pretty good. If the pitch gives some assistance he could be very good.....
PearlJ
PearlJ

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:09

DJ_Smerk wrote:Henry and Dermott were better than Lee probably, but I think Lee will prosper more than Midge in later life. Even if he's bowled 9 no-balls since the free ball ruling has come into ODI Cricket.

But as I said, Midge hasn't even had a test match yet. He could pick up a 10fer, but im not holding my breath at the Gabba.

Stewie and Blee will probably pick up most Scalps with Magoo chipping in as the Lankans are no Amateurs, even on Aussie Pitches. I'm afraid they'll do better than England did.

So far the Lankan batsmen have struggled. No surprise as they come to grips with wickets that bounce. Expect Clarke to truly test them.

TBH I don't expect them to go as well as the poms (assuming no significant weather invention) - even without Warne & McGrath. Warne will still be the wicket record holder when the series has concluded.

Johnson? Yes, we'll know a lot more about him after 4 or 5 games. He'll have the happy advantage in his first series of bowling to a team with a fair number of left handers
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:20

Johnson has done well in ODIs so far. Yes it's only ODIs, but it is still international cricket and he has had Tendulkar out twice for low scores.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:22

"...im not holding my breath at the Gabba."

WTF Smerky....it's his home ground ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26185
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:25

Most youngish Australian players are overrated- Clarke, Lee, Johnson.... Ben Hilfenhaus is overrated by Aussie frummers. If you went by what was said on here you'd think he was the next Lillee and Mcgrath combined, whereas in truth he's a steady fast medium swing bowler who has to prove this year that he's no one season wonder.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:31

Yes Trev
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:31

Henry wrote:Most youngish Australian players are overrated- Clarke, Lee, Johnson.... Ben Hilfenhaus is overrated by Aussie frummers. If you went by what was said on here you'd think he was the next Lillee and Mcgrath combined, whereas in truth he's a steady fast medium swing bowler who has to prove this year that he's no one season wonder.

We can all be guilty of that - I daresay if you were sad enough to trawl through my contributions on here and C4 you would find examples of me (and others!) giving it large for Jimmy, Saj etc.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:34

embee wrote:Yes Trev

Glad you agree.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 07 Nov 2007, 01:35

Yes Trev
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 07 Nov 2007, 02:09

Re Midge - he hasn't proven anything in real cricket yet but if you just look at him bowl he clearly has the raw tools to be a fine quality bowler. Pace and bounce with some ability to swing. Being a lefty helps too. Add to that is the fact that he seems willing to learn and work on his game ie: he has a good brain unlike Bung.

His biggest problem will be stringing enough matches together without being injured.

My real worry with Midge is that he will play too much JAMODI stuff too early and not learn how to bowl a Test length. I think this has stuffed up Lee's career too.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 07 Nov 2007, 02:18

JGK wrote:Re Midge - he hasn't proven anything in real cricket yet but if you just look at him bowl he clearly has the raw tools to be a fine quality bowler. Pace and bounce with some ability to swing. Being a lefty helps too. Add to that is the fact that he seems willing to learn and work on his game ie: he has a good brain unlike Bung.

His biggest problem will be stringing enough matches together without being injured.

My real worry with Midge is that he will play too much JAMODI stuff too early and not learn how to bowl a Test length. I think this has stuffed up Lee's career too.

aye to all that. I've watched him live 3 or 4 times (PC games) & my honest feeling is that he just doesn't hurry better players enough. I've never felt "he's in for a bag here"
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 07 Nov 2007, 02:24

So we're all agreed - the best LFM in the world is, and always will be, Ryan Sidebottom.

Or Pedro Collins.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 07 Nov 2007, 02:25

with his height he could get a little more bounce with a higher action at the the point of delivery
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 07 Nov 2007, 03:03

I hope Midge does step up. A top class leftie with pace and swing could be a huge weapon for Aus.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next