Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham?

+27
Merlin
embee
taipan
ten years after
horace
Ross
GordoninPortsmouth
lardbucket
eowyn
DJ_Smerk
PeterCS
redmondian
Chivalry Augustus
Paul Keating
freddled gruntbuggly
Basil
Zat
JGK
doremi
Hass
Henry
peterg
tac
Invader Zim
skully
JKLever
Red
31 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham? - Page 4 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham?

Post by embee Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:28

8s to 11s scoring tons
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham? - Page 4 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson to be the next I.T. Botham?

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:32

Saw an hour's version of his innings in the Foxy 2 hour highlights tonight. That was some knock. Clean striking of the highest order. Well done, him.

And I thought Nicholarse was gonna jizz in his pants.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:32

tac wrote:The other thing I like about Midge is his six hitting ability . . . it seems quite effortless . . . he could give Gillie's record a nudge in years to come . . .
He ought to be batting ahead of Haddin at the rate he's improving.
From what I've seen of him (on TV only), he has a good eye for the ball and picks it up early enough for him to align his chosen shot. But he does seem to be predominantly an on side player - and oppo bowlers will figure him out eventually.
But yeah, a serious threat in the next few months ... all we need now is a county to offer him a 2 month contract to sharpen him up to our conditions - job done! Rolling Eyes

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:37

To me the funny part s that the Aussie NSP has been looking to find/manufacture an all-rounder for donkey's years. Now they have fluked one.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:38

peterg wrote:tya,

In gneral I agree with your point concerning batting average qualification for great all round status.

In the case of Davidson, although not Benaud, you can offset the deficiency because he can be classified as an all time great bowler. He could more than bat a bit, and fielded superbly. I think he qualifies.

In Benaud's case, whilst a less fine bowler than Davidson, he had his exceptional captaincy and excellent fielding to bulk out the CV. I think he qualifies, too.

Captaincy and fielding complicate things a bit too much. Compare Mike Brearley with Botham - Brearley was an immeasurably better captain, as good a fielder and a significantly better batsman, Botham was an immeasurably better bowler. This would suggest that if Botham is a great all rounder then Brearley is too!

Lindwall would be considered by most an all time great bowler and his test batting average is not far below Davidson's but he is rarely described as an all rounder let alone a great one. I think a great test all rounder must have an average in the upper 20s at least no matter how good a bowler he is (Hadlee just sneaks in, Tate doesn't).

This is also a bit of a problem regarding Sobers' bowling. I'm only happy calling him a great all rounder because he was a test quality bowler for a significant part of the 60s. His overall bowling average and wickets per match is not very impressive.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:39

taipan wrote:To me the funny part s that the Aussie NSP has been looking to find/manufacture an all-rounder for donkey's years. Now they have fluked one.
Fair call, taips.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 08:50

skully wrote:
taipan wrote:To me the funny part s that the Aussie NSP has been looking to find/manufacture an all-rounder for donkey's years. Now they have fluked one.
Fair call, taips.

It's a nonsense call . . . the only options are to either manufacture one or pray one comes along by chance . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:11

Does 'manufactured' mean that an average player keeps getting selected until they eventually become good?

The nearest all rounder I can think of in this category would be Flintoff.

ten years after

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:14

ten years after wrote:

Does 'manufactured' mean that an average player keeps getting selected until they eventually become good?

The nearest all rounder I can think of in this category would be Flintoff.

Well Watson never became good. Maybe he will now.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:16

Phurt. Shane "Pollywaffle" Watson will never make a Test allrounder.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:16

The pollywaffle . . . I like it . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:27

If Midge ever bats at 6 I'll hand back my baggy green.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:33

tac wrote:The pollywaffle . . . I like it . . .
Erm, it was yours, tweren't it?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:33

Invader Zim wrote:If Midge ever bats at 6 I'll hand back my baggy green.
You forget how stoopid the NSP is.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:43

skully wrote:
tac wrote:The pollywaffle . . . I like it . . .
Erm, it was yours, tweren't it?

Was it? I've been so busy, I honestly don't remember . . I like it regardless . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:45

I think OP or Nath said he was marshmallow on the inside and kit kats on the outside, and I thought you then came in with "so he's basically a Pollywaffle?"

Laugh, I nearly PMS. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:50

tya

Are you seriously suggesting Brearley was a better batsman than Botham?

It was , as you will recall, argued by Brearley that captaincy ability should be considered a separate discipline, akin to wicketkeeping.
Accordingly, he could be considered an all rounder, but his batting is a weak aspect of his claim.

peterg

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:12

peterg wrote:tya

Are you seriously suggesting Brearley was a better batsman than Botham?

It was , as you will recall, argued by Brearley that captaincy ability should be considered a separate discipline, akin to wicketkeeping.
Accordingly, he could be considered an all rounder, but his batting is a weak aspect of his claim.

Err no i suppose not, that is a definite flaw in my argument.

Substitute Davidson for Botham and it works better Very Happy

ten years after

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:48

skully wrote:I think OP or Nath said he was marshmallow on the inside and kit kats on the outside, and I thought you then came in with "so he's basically a Pollywaffle?"

Laugh, I nearly PMS. Cool
Indeed . . . I remember now . . . thought it sounded familiar . . . Laughing
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:00

Have another sake.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:00

ffs?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:01

freddie fries sausages?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:03

No. Think about your previous post.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:06

PeterCS wrote:No. Think about your previous post.
scratch

This is a cricket forum, not a Mensa get-together. columbo
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:06

FFS, indeed . . . . you can be a simple qunt at times, skull . . .

Last edited by tac on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:07; edited 1 time in total
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next