Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World?

+25
freddled gruntbuggly
Brass Monkey
Henry
lardbucket
Lara Lara Laughs
Merlin
Hass
Blackadder
Invader Zim
Basil
Red
doremi
tac
ten years after
PeterCS
JGK
skully
HH_pink
DJ_Smerk
JKLever
spangler
LeFromage
beamer
eowyn
Chivalry Augustus
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World?

Post by tac Sun 08 Mar 2009, 05:10

skully wrote:Let's hope he carries that form into the one that really matters deep down to us all. Cool

Hope the poms produce pitches with a bit in them . . . I can see KP the drama queen missing a couple of tests . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World?

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 08 Mar 2009, 05:11

skully wrote:Let's hope he carries that form into the one that really matters deep down to us all. Cool

I'm not sure theres another Series with India for a good few years now Skullz.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 08 Mar 2009, 09:55

Looks to have added a bit of pace (was already quite fast) to how he bowled in India, and perhaps in Aus recently as well.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 08 Mar 2009, 09:58

Johnson is getting better all the time but struggled in Australia when the pitch wasn't assisting. Would have been interesting to see if he could have extracted life in the first session on day one when the pitch seemed so slow. Yesterday and late day one, it was a different track it seemed.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Mar 2009, 10:02

What I've really liked about Midge is that he is comfortable leading the attack and taking responsibility for getting things moving for the bowlers - something Bung never could do.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 08 Mar 2009, 10:12

JGK wrote:What I've really liked about Midge is that he is comfortable leading the attack and taking responsibility for getting things moving for the bowlers - something Bung never could do.

Agree, Lee was all talk but not enough action.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Mar 2009, 10:13

Red wrote:
JGK wrote:What I've really liked about Midge is that he is comfortable leading the attack and taking responsibility for getting things moving for the bowlers - something Bung never could do.

That seemed to have been Liz's complaint.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 08 Mar 2009, 10:32

JGK wrote:
Red wrote:

That seemed to have been Liz's complaint.

Very Happy
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Mar 2009, 10:50

Aye. I was talking to my equally cricket mad brother tonight and he asked "what about Bung?". I said he won't be chosen for the England tour and will have to work his way back into the side next summer. Possibly played his last Test for Aus AFAIC.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 08 Mar 2009, 11:03

Johnson is the most improved test-match bowler doing the rounds, and will be a handful this Summer - almost certainly the best quick bowler bowler on either side.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:04

So Poms are now worried about Midge? Could have sworn there was derision about him 6 months ago...
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:05

Invader Zim wrote:So Poms are now worried about Midge? Could have sworn there was derision about him 6 months ago...

In fairness, there was derision from a lot of Aussie quarters six months ago. He did struggle with direction in the Windies.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:23

Maybe Troy Cooley is actually quite good (except with Bung).

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:33

Interesting with Cooley, a average state trundler turns around the English attack, and now seems to have turned Midge into a world class bowler. Shocked

Blackadder

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World? - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:43

Invader Zim wrote:So Poms are now worried about Midge? Could have sworn there was derision about him 6 months ago...

Mainly from Aussies.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:51

It's never a good idea to use the word never when "usually couldn't" would be more apt.

Lee did exactly what is quoted above in the 2007/8 series against India. He took responsibility and got things moving that summer. It was only one summer in an underperforming career, but he did do it.

Johnson is doing it at a younger age and doesn't have a history of failure behind him so hopefully it's a sign of good things to come. But just as you wouldn't judge Lee on one summer, neither should we give Johnson too much credit for his recent string of success.

That spell of bowling yesterday was the best and most threatening I've seen from an Australian bowler in years. The test will be to see if he can do it consistently. For the record, I think he can and will.

Hass

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:00

neither should we give Johnson too much credit for his recent string of success
FFS.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:24

Invader Zim wrote:
neither should we give Johnson too much credit for his recent string of success
FFS.

FFS straight back at you if you can't work out what something means in context.

The general consensus on this forum is that Brett Lee is crap. He had a a great sumer in 2007/8 and was duly praised (just as Johnson has been duly praised). But that also led many to say that Brett Lee had turned the corner, was capable of leading the attack well into the future.

A year later and Brett Lee is back on the scrapheap through a combination of injury and dreadful form.

Mitchell Johnson has also had a great summer. I'm very impressed. I have high hopes. I'm just sounding the warning not to get too carried away. He deserves plenty of credit for a great summer, but JGK was saying that he'd done something Bret Lee had never done. I think JGK was wrong and was giving Midge too much credit. FFS.

Hass

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:29

Fair point about Lee's 2007 which was outstanding (although he did have the experience and skill of Clark to back him up). But that was after 8 years of international cricket and as you say, it turned out to be an aberration.

But Midge looks like he actually enjoys the role and has had to do it with a stack of rookies even though he himself had only played a dozen or so tests.

Perhaps it is the speed of Midge's improvement as bowler and desire to step up that I really admire.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:39

No denying he's good, and his aggressive attitude helps ... BUT, he has had two cracking wickets these last 2 tests to enhance his style of bowling - something he won't get on tracks in England in what is expected to be a damp summer.

Let's just wait n see come September this year, before acclaiming him to be the "best seamer in the world".

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:40

Basil wrote:

Mainly from Aussies.

Exactly. Zim using the 'revised history' method of trolling.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:46

Definitely not - And yes, there's still "derision" about him.
The sighting of one swallow guaranteeing a summer comes to mind .... bottom line - he ain't proved bugger all yet.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:50

Merlin wrote:

Definitely not - And yes, there's still "derision" about him.
The sighting of one swallow guaranteeing a summer comes to mind .... bottom line - he ain't proved bugger all yet.

That's kind of what many Aussies thought about Freddie in early 2005.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:59

Merlin wrote: bottom line - he ain't proved bugger all yet.

Except he's closing on 100 test wickets @ 26.

About 8 runs less than anyone in our current 'attack'.

As far as I can recall the Aussie derision was because he was pretty much an up and down bowler not getting much movement.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Sun 08 Mar 2009, 14:05

And he's proved he can take wickets against two batting lineups that I think most would agree are markedly better than England's.
spangler
spangler

Mitchell Johnson - Best Seamer in the World? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next