Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pandemic

+21
doremi
taipan
Big_Bad_Bob
Mick Sawyer
Chivalry Augustus
The One
G.Wood
bodyline
PlanetPakistan
embee
Zat
LeFromage
DJ_Smerk
JGK
tac
Bradman
skully
Henry
PeterCS
WideWally
lardbucket
25 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pandemic - Page 4 Empty Re: Pandemic

Post by tac Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:51

come off it . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:51

PeterCS wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:She was joking, I'm sure.
you don't joke about these things.

I am not going to speak for Debbie - for all sorts of reasons - but she has expressed the view here before (as have zat?, bradman?, and buckaroo) that it is precisely the super-serious and horrendous topics you have to joke about to stay sane. i.e. no disrespect is intended. Or something of that sort.

then i guess you can add the "just joking" part after any nasty thing coming out of the mouth.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:51

tac wrote:
Zat wrote:Was that unironic or onanistic?

it seems only you, zatty, would confuse the two . . .

Or as the Sun might say:

"IRONY WOT IRONY?? IT'S WANKTASTIC!!" Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:52

PlanetPakistan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:She was joking, I'm sure.
you don't joke about these things.

I am not going to speak for Debbie - for all sorts of reasons - but she has expressed the view here before (as have zat?, bradman?, and buckaroo) that it is precisely the super-serious and horrendous topics you have to joke about to stay sane. i.e. no disrespect is intended. Or something of that sort.

then i guess you can add the "just joking" part after any nasty thing coming out of the mouth.

That's the Frankie Boyle school of thought.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:54

tac wrote:come off it . . .
I wasn't coming on it.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:58

Did someone make ANOTHER joke, which got wildly taken out of context... pig

Last edited by DJ_Smerk on Mon 27 Apr 2009, 07:00; edited 1 time in total
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:59

It may have been some wanktastic irony.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 27 Apr 2009, 07:00

Zat wrote:It may have been some wanktastic irony.

Wrong thread Zat, try the deepthroat one... Cool
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 27 Apr 2009, 07:02

DJ_Smerk wrote:
Zat wrote:It may have been some wanktastic irony.

Wrong thread Zat, try the deepthroat one... Cool
It's really time for me to leave when a Welshman starts giving me suggestions about stuff like that.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Apr 2009, 09:31

Won't someone think of the animals?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2009, 09:48

I wasn't completely joking. The world's population is rising - births have been outnumbering deaths for some time. In the past we've had The Black Death (14th C) and The Plague (17th C) and world wars (20th C) to keep the population down. My comment probably seemed harsh but it's a fact I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Apr 2009, 09:54

Don't be such a baby: get on the cart.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2009, 09:54

*cough*

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:09

Demelza's right, disease and what-not have always been ways of keeping the population down. The world is at critical mass at the moment, we've just been living in an impervious bubble under the notion that every life is sacred and blah blah. It is, unfortunately, about time nature did something about the human scourge. The six and a half billion folk who are slowly eating away at the planet are unsustainable. If that means a lot of people dying including myself then damn, but that's the way it's meant to be. A circle of life and death. We are, after all, only mortal. We've been lucky to miss out on a massive war or a huge pandemic in the last 60 years or so.

If 3 billion folk were to die and I were one of the survivors then all the more post-apocalyptic fun for me. Stalking down streets with my rifle, poking in ruined houses, dodging uzi fire from renegade chavs who are too high before dispatching them from fifty yards. Looting, forming street gangs, getting shot, killing folk, having government SWAT teams charging around re-establishing their authority. Anarchy and all that shit.

Last edited by Augustus on Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:12; edited 1 time in total
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Pandemic - Page 4 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:12

Sounds like a Wilderness Society wet dream.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:29

lardbucket wrote:Don't be such a baby: get on the cart.

chortle!
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 27 Apr 2009, 11:25

Demelza wrote:The world's population is rising - births have been outnumbering deaths for some time.

as it has been for 99.9999% of human existence

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 27 Apr 2009, 14:39

So ... was Malthus right?

I think Marx, for his sins, got a few things right, including about the cold calculus of necessary, "eternal" decimation in human populations.

"It was, of course, far more convenient [i.e. than investigating particular economic and social relations, examining the conditions of production or non-production of material goods, and considering the self-interested anarchy at the core of "capitalism"] - and much more in conformity with the interests of the ruling classes, whom Malthus adored like a true priest - to explain this “over-population” by the eternal laws of Nature."

If we do hold with Malthus, though, should we perhaps - by extension - call on Dello to use his own "Invisible Hand" and take out a tenth of the threads on this forum - so that the quality of the others may flourish? Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon 27 Apr 2009, 14:45

Augustus wrote:Demelza's right, disease and what-not have always been ways of keeping the population down. The world is at critical mass at the moment, we've just been living in an impervious bubble under the notion that every life is sacred and blah blah. It is, unfortunately, about time nature did something about the human scourge. The six and a half billion folk who are slowly eating away at the planet are unsustainable. If that means a lot of people dying including myself then damn, but that's the way it's meant to be. A circle of life and death. We are, after all, only mortal. We've been lucky to miss out on a massive war or a huge pandemic in the last 60 years or so.

If 3 billion folk were to die and I were one of the survivors then all the more post-apocalyptic fun for me. Stalking down streets with my rifle, poking in ruined houses, dodging uzi fire from renegade chavs who are too high before dispatching them from fifty yards. Looting, forming street gangs, getting shot, killing folk, having government SWAT teams charging around re-establishing their authority. Anarchy and all that shit.

Living in the no-man's land between Mansfield and Sutton will have prepared you well if it comes to that.

An unfair advantage some might call it.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Pandemic - Page 4 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 27 Apr 2009, 14:46

PeterCS wrote:So ... was Malthus right?

wasnt he proved wrong a few decades back?

world population will stabilise in a few decades, human birth rates have been falling dramatically everywhere

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 27 Apr 2009, 14:53

And Marx's point - partisan, it's true Very Happy - is that the supposed "limit" on production of food and other necessaries of life is a fiction. (That the earth does contain and allow enough resources, if properly used, to feed the numbers of children that parents are likely to want to have.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 27 Apr 2009, 14:54

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:
Augustus wrote:Demelza's right, disease and what-not have always been ways of keeping the population down. The world is at critical mass at the moment, we've just been living in an impervious bubble under the notion that every life is sacred and blah blah. It is, unfortunately, about time nature did something about the human scourge. The six and a half billion folk who are slowly eating away at the planet are unsustainable. If that means a lot of people dying including myself then damn, but that's the way it's meant to be. A circle of life and death. We are, after all, only mortal. We've been lucky to miss out on a massive war or a huge pandemic in the last 60 years or so.

Living in the no-man's land between Mansfield and Sutton will have prepared you well if it comes to that.

Nah. Perfect description of Danny's homeland, that is. The badlands of Wellingbro especially.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Mon 27 Apr 2009, 15:17

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:

Oh, I'm doubly prepared what with my army upbringing, my years in sea cadets and army cadets and now my spell in the apocalyptic deserts outside of Mansfield. I'll take to killing most of the folk around here very easily indeed. Then I'll be on my way down to West Bridgford to find me a nice pad.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Pandemic - Page 4 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon 27 Apr 2009, 16:28

We'll be waiting . . . Wink
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Pandemic - Page 4 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2009, 18:27

Talking about population, I thought this map was good. It's based on the country's population. See the bulging India and the very flat Australia?

Pandemic - Page 4 Pop_ma12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next