Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ?

+13
mynah
beamer
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
tac
Ash
Shoeshine
PearlJ
Basil
Jiffymix
JKLever
Makaveli
LeFromage
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? Empty Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ?

Post by LeFromage Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:19

During the build-up to the NFL game between the Giants and the Dolphins to be held at Wembley on Sunday...

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London. Or where London is. He continues: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? Empty Re: Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ?

Post by Makaveli Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:20

Roflmao
Makaveli
Makaveli

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? Empty Re: Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ?

Post by JKLever Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:23

Got to be a joke Shirley?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiffymix Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:25

wow, thats saddening.
Jiffymix
Jiffymix

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:26

There's more...

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries. I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that. I know London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

After these comments, he was reminded that Dolphins receiver Marvin Allen is from London. That's when Crowder asked, "He’s from London? I knew he was from over there because he talks funny. I was surprised (when they met) because - I don’t want to say he didn’t look the part because that’s a stereotype - but he didn’t look the part. I heard him talk, and I thought he had a recorder and was just mouthing."

Last edited by on Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:29; edited 1 time in total
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:28

Still think its a joke but anyone remember the classic Ian Rush line upon leaving Liverpool and joining Juventus?

Ask what it was like he said 'It's like being in a foreign country over here' Smile
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:32

Perhaps he's just a bit "special"?

Crowder was asked in August 2007 who might play him in a movie. His response: "There aren’t any actors out there, you know, fine enough. I don’t know. Got to be light-skinned. Got to be big. Got to be fine. Got to be like a sex symbol. But nobody’s got dreads, ain’t nobody sweet enough. Got to be animated. Like a Thundercat! Or a Transformer!"
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:35

Are they any more dim than your average gayball player?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtXCs0Wqs9Q (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZnIlJP-Js (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hy6O0IMLJ4 (Part 3)

An oldie, but a goodie.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri 26 Oct 2007, 19:37

American friends have hastened to tell me that this bloke is something of a joker and does this kind of thing a lot.

Still, it's backfired a bit, because whilst Americans might get the joke, in a country where no-one has ever heard of him it doesn't work as well. Oops.

Shoeshine

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Oct 2007, 21:42

And some folks have pondered why American's have never taken to Cricket. :bom:

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 26 Oct 2007, 21:58

I have this sinking feeling they will take to 20/20
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri 26 Oct 2007, 22:01

PearlJ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtXCs0Wqs9Q (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZnIlJP-Js (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hy6O0IMLJ4 (Part 3)

An oldie, but a goodie.

Laughing @ "im john howard"
Ash
Ash

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 27 Oct 2007, 00:32

(part 4) . . .poor Australia Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqrOY6x2eU
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 27 Oct 2007, 00:40

Classic.

Kim Jung Il has a new and bigger home to be ronerly in.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38101
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 27 Oct 2007, 00:56

Who says Americans are a bit thick?

Only that small minority of the human race who DON'T think Americans are very thick indeed.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8813
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 27 Oct 2007, 14:42

Sans Souci wrote:And some folks have pondered why American's have never taken to Cricket. :bom:
Yankball may appear to be organised chaos with all these big lumps in body armour just charging into each other - but it's actually very tactical and has plenty of complex rules. In that way it's not as far removed from cricket as some might think.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 27 Oct 2007, 17:31

I think Baseball's a little closer to cricket than Rubgy-on-steroids-in-crash-helmets.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sat 27 Oct 2007, 21:22

Dello wrote:During the build-up to the NFL game between the Giants and the Dolphins to be held at Wembley on Sunday...

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London. Or where London is. He continues: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."
It gets worse. Checked him out at Wikipedia, and it turns out he was Freshman of the Year at college. affraid
mynah
mynah

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 27 Oct 2007, 21:46

Dello wrote:I think Baseball's a little closer to cricket than Rubgy-on-steroids-in-crash-helmets.
In the obvious sense of "hitting a ball with a bat" perhaps... try looking below the surface a bit!

Don't know a great deal about baseball but it would appear the basic principle is "try and twat the ball out of the park". I can't pretend to know all the finer points of American football either but know there's a lot of thought and planning that goes into each individual play.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 28 Oct 2007, 01:56

beamer wrote:
Dello wrote:I think Baseball's a little closer to cricket than Rubgy-on-steroids-in-crash-helmets.
In the obvious sense of "hitting a ball with a bat" perhaps... try looking below the surface a bit!

Don't know a great deal about baseball but it would appear the basic principle is "try and twat the ball out of the park". I can't pretend to know all the finer points of American football either but know there's a lot of thought and planning that goes into each individual play.

Not by the players, though . . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sun 28 Oct 2007, 02:00

:laule:
HH_pink
HH_pink

Who says Americans are "a bit thick" ? APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Sun 28 Oct 2007, 02:54

[quote="beamer"]
Dello wrote:I think Baseball's a little Don't know a great deal about baseball but it would appear the basic principle is "try and twat the ball out of the park".

Absolutely wrong, my friend. The basic principle is to score a run by rounding the bases, and to reach base(s) is only at best a 30% probability in baseball. Even for an MLB power hitter like A-Rod or Ryan Howard or David Ortiz, a 50 homer season is a great achievement. On average a regular player have about 600 -650 plate apperences per season. It clearly shows that hiting the ball out of the park happens, on average, in 1 out of 12-15 appearences even for the best of power hitters.

As a diehard baseball fan, I feel the basic essence of the game is to try and work the count to your favor whether you are a pitcher or a hitter. On a good day a great pitcher rarely walks even the best of hitters and only allows no more than 4-5 hits per game. For a casual viewer, a tightly pitched game may be a little bit boring thing to watch but for a true baseball fan that's the ultimate fun game. To see your team trying to manufacture a run to win a ball game in the 8th or 9th innings by getting a walki, sacrificing a bunt or stealing a base is much more satisfactory than watching a grand slam home run against an ordinary pitcher in an one-sided game.

No two games are similar or even comparable. Each game has its own charm! Cricket and baseball are not even close to compare. The only similarity is that a round hard ball is hit with a wooden object call bat!

Forum Goat

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 28 Oct 2007, 02:57

[quote="Forum Goat"]
beamer wrote:
Dello wrote:I think Baseball's a little Don't know a great deal about baseball but it would appear the basic principle is "try and twat the ball out of the park".

Absolutely wrong, my friend. The basic principle is to score a run by rounding the bases, and to reach base(s) is only at best a 30% probability in baseball. Even for an MLB power hitter like A-Rod or Ryan Howard or David Ortiz, a 50 homer season is a great achievement. On average a regular player have about 600 -650 plate apperences per season. It clearly shows that hiting the ball out of the park happens, on average, in 1 out of 12-15 appearences even for the best of power hitters.

As a diehard baseball fan, I feel the basic essence of the game is to try and work the count to your favor whether you are a pitcher or a hitter. On a good day a great pitcher rarely walks even the best of hitters and only allows no more than 4-5 hits per game. For a casual viewer, a tightly pitched game may be a little bit boring thing to watch but for a true baseball fan that's the ultimate fun game. To see your team trying to manufacture a run to win a ball game in the 8th or 9th innings by getting a walki, sacrificing a bunt or stealing a base is much more satisfactory than watching a grand slam home run against an ordinary pitcher in an one-sided game.

No two games are similar or even comparable. Each game has its own charm! Cricket and baseball are not even close to compare. The only similarity is that a round hard ball is hit with a wooden object call bat!

You have chosen your name wisely.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Sun 28 Oct 2007, 03:04

Thank you. You are creative too in chosing your avatar!

Forum Goat

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next