Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official

+16
Zat
taipan
lardbucket
mynah
please don't yell
Basil
JKLever
Brass Monkey
embee
doctorspin
noelene
Fred Nerk
doremi
tac
JB
Henry
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official Empty Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/culture-shock/2007/10/26/1192941341403.html

You'd think that at least 1 Australian cricketer of Sub Continental background would have at least played state cricket in the last 20 years. FFS even New Zealand has had several cricketers of Sub Continental background play for them. I definetly think there is a culture of unacceptance in Australian cricket. Anyone who is a bit different, or doesnt come to the pub with his teammates because he has to attend prayers is seen as a loner who isnt trying to fit in. NSW rookie Usman Khawaja, who's family is from Pakistan, could well make his debut for NSW this season if he keeps up his good early season grade cricket form. In Melbourne, Indian born Kumar Sarna is talked about as one of the best young batting prospects in the country, so maybe things are starting to change. It's about time.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official Empty Re: Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official

Post by JB Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:12 pm

So, how many black, oriental, or white people do you see playing for subcontinental teams? I only see brown and there has to be people of other colours those countries.
JB
JB

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-09-17

Back to top Go down

Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official Empty Re: Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Australia is a first world country that has thousands of people from other countries arrive every year because of the increased opportunities it provides. This is the same with England, South Africa (To an extent) and New Zealand. Ardent cricket fans from overseas may not know that Australia has one of the most multi cultural populations in the world. Right up there with the USA and Britain. The Aussie cricket team doesnt represent Australia's multi cultural society at all.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 pm

When they are good enough they'll play.

As well detailed in the article you link to, playing sport is not top priority for immigrant families, so it might take an extra generation before these players start coming through.

Plenty of players of mediterranean descent (from those who immigrated in the 50s) playing leeeg, Aussie Rules and cricket.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:20 pm

JB wrote:So, how many black, oriental, or white people do you see playing for subcontinental teams? I only see brown and there has to be people of other colours those countries.

Since when has oriental been a colour?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Since 'Subi' became a nationality, I guess.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:30 pm

"I definetly think there is a culture of unacceptance in Australian cricket."

Eric, I DEFINITELY think you should learn to spell the words that already exist, before you start making up your own (eg 'unacceptance').

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8811
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Oh wow. Here's Fred Nerk arriving to be a smart arse. Who'd have thought? Got anything relevant to say? Didnt think so. Now go back to your cave.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by noelene Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:41 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/never-mind-the-curry-were-in-this-game-together/2007/10/19/1192301041975.html
If they are good enough,they will get a place.

noelene

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:48 pm

You lecturing about relevance is a bit thick, I must say.

In what way exactly, is any opinion you may or may not have (such as that piece of drivel of yours I quoted in my last post), 'relevant' to anything or anybody?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8811
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:51 pm

Well good on them. Like I said, things seem to have been changing in the last 5 years or so.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:54 pm

Fred Nerk wrote:You lecturing about relevance is a bit thick, I must say.

In what way exactly, is any opinion you may or may not have (such as that piece of drivel of yours I quoted in my last post), 'relevant' to anything or anybody?

Err, it's relevant to the subject of this thread, buddy. This isnt a spelling forum. Maybe if I had started a thread titled,"How do I spell xxxxxx?" your post would have been relevant.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:59 pm

It is a complicated area this. It doesn't of itself indicate racism within CA. It may (but does not necessarily) indicate racial problems within cricket in Oz, if only by the perception of the Aussie Subis.
It would seem to be analogous to the UK who have and have had no British Asians in the National Football team and precious few in football at any professional level. British Asians are well represented in many other UK sports, Cricket obviously, badminton, squash (I think) etc.

I am sure that if Aussie Asians were good enough, they would get into the national side. The question is whether there is something in Oz society that discourages them from taking up cricket seriously, or if they do, gets in the way of their progress at a lower level.
doctorspin
doctorspin

Australian cricket is not multicultural enough- CA official 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 pm

It would seem to be analogous to the UK who have and have had no British Asians in the National Football team and precious few in football at any professional level.

But football is nowhere near as popular as cricket in countries like India and Pakistan. It's understandable that the British Asian kids show more interest in the sport that is loved by their parents.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:08 pm

doctorspin wrote:It is a complicated area this. It doesn't of itself indicate racism within CA. It may (but does not necessarily) indicate racial problems within cricket in Oz, if only by the perception of the Aussie Subis.
It would seem to be analogous to the UK who have and have had no British Asians in the National Football team and precious few in football at any professional level. British Asians are well represented in many other UK sports, Cricket obviously, badminton, squash (I think) etc.

I am sure that if Aussie Asians were good enough, they would get into the national side. The question is whether there is something in Oz society that discourages them from taking up cricket seriously, or if they do, gets in the way of their progress at a lower level.

Again, it is a matter of priorities and how much time immigrant families (and in Oz your talking 1st generation) are prepared to give to sport as opposed to making a financial success of their lives. As mentioned above, Australian sport is full of players European/Mediterranean descent, give it another 20 years and I'm sure there will be a number of players of subi descent playing state cricket.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 pm

But why has it taken so long in Australian cricket? Like you said- AFL, Rugby league, and Rugby Union have all had players from ethnic backgrounds for a number of years now. Why is cricket only just starting to change from a predominantly white culture in the last 5 years?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:07 am

Henry wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/culture-shock/2007/10/26/1192941341403.html

You'd think that at least 1 Australian cricketer of Sub Continental background would have at least played state cricket in the last 20 years. FFS even New Zealand has had several cricketers of Sub Continental background play for them. I definetly think there is a culture of unacceptance in Australian cricket. Anyone who is a bit different, or doesnt come to the pub with his teammates because he has to attend prayers is seen as a loner who isnt trying to fit in. NSW rookie Usman Khawaja, who's family is from Pakistan, could well make his debut for NSW this season if he keeps up his good early season grade cricket form. In Melbourne, Indian born Kumar Sarna is talked about as one of the best young batting prospects in the country, so maybe things are starting to change. It's about time.

Mark Lavender ....
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26206
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:22 am

Henry wrote:But football is nowhere near as popular as cricket in countries like India and Pakistan. It's understandable that the British Asian kids show more interest in the sport that is loved by their parents.

I know sh!tloads of Brasians.... every single one likes footers.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:27 am

Really? Hmm. Then I guess there could be something there with football. But why would there perhaps be prejudice against British Asians but not English-Caribbean footballers?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 am

Henry wrote:Really? Hmm. Then I guess there could be something there with football. But why would there perhaps be prejudice against British Asians but not English-Caribbean footballers?

What the fark are you on about now?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:30 am

Henry wrote:Really? Hmm. Then I guess there could be something there with football. But why would there perhaps be prejudice against British Asians but not English-Caribbean footballers?

Not sure about there is prejudice. The best players get picked. A few of my Brasian mates were damn good at footie, there's just plenty of teams about with decent players.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:33 am

But not in the top leagues. I for one hope that young British Asians dont get lured towards football like the English- Caribbean kids have been. Thankfully we have guys like Monty and Owais Shah as role models for young British Asians.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:35 am

Henry wrote:But not in the top leagues. I for one hope that young British Asians dont get lured towards football like the English- Caribbean kids have been. Thankfully we have guys like Monty and Owais Shah as role models for young British Asians.

But you blame Australia for not luring Aussie Asians into cricket?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 am

Henry wrote:But not in the top leagues. I for one hope that young British Asians dont get lured towards football like the English- Caribbean kids have been. Thankfully we have guys like Monty and Owais Shah as role models for young British Asians.

Nah, just Michael Chopra. I can't really comment to generalise, but every single one lost the desire to be serious about the game about 15-16 when drinking*/smoking/shagging became a bigger priority and the hunger in their early 20's to play competatively at all. Bit like most lads, I reckon.

*The non-Muslim ones. Well most of them.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:47 am

But you blame Australia for not luring Aussie Asians into cricket?

Yes I do. Just like I hinted there might be prejudice within the FA in England for there not being any British Asians playing in the top leagues, im suggesting that the same thing happens with Australian Asians in cricket.

As an English cricket fan, I dont want English cricket to be deprived of an exciting source of talent because of the $$$$ lure of football.

In general, what sport is a young Indian or Pakistani living in Australia most likely to want to play, do you think?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next