Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf Thread (I)

+27
taipan
Red
Big Dog
Hass
beamer
Chivalry Augustus
Fred Nerk
embee
LeFromage
holcs
WideWally
JKLever
Blackadder
DJ_Smerk
Basil
JGK
Henry
PeterCS
horace
lardbucket
Bradman
Zat
tac
Mick Sawyer
bodyline
G.Wood
skully
31 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

The Golf Thread (I) - Page 40 Empty Re: The Golf Thread (I)

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 13 Aug 2012, 23:12

JGK wrote:Wow, just read about Pettersen's 2 stroke penalty for a minor technical infringement.

Cost him $500k. Bugger.

It's an absolutely insane Rule. Brushing & moving a leaf on the backswing costs you a motza, brushing & moving it on the way down is OK. Inane!
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 14 Aug 2012, 00:15

Mick Sawyer wrote:
JGK wrote:Wow, just read about Pettersen's 2 stroke penalty for a minor technical infringement.

Cost him $500k. Bugger.

It's an absolutely insane Rule. Brushing & moving a leaf on the backswing costs you a motza, brushing & moving it on the way down is OK. Inane!

A bad week for P(i)ettersens......
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 14 Aug 2012, 00:19

Mick Sawyer wrote:

Cost him $500k. Bugger.

Sounds almost as stupid as the Harrington disqualification in Abu Dhabi.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 14 Aug 2012, 02:43

tricycle wrote:
Sounds almost as stupid as the Harrington disqualification in Abu Dhabi.

aye & the (self nominated) penalty by the pom in a playoff at Hilton Head a couple of years back.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 20 Aug 2012, 15:46

That was crazy.

Ryder Cup qualification climax at Gleneagles this week. 3 players still not named in the European team are playing there, Colsaerts, Lawrie and Cabrera Bello. Bit weird that Colsaerts isn't in the automatic qualification spot considering his season.

McGinley, Clarke and Bjorn have been named vice captains. Has the 2014 captain been named? These three would be the easiest choices.

Also just seen that the Bridgestone invitational has more prize money overall than the majors.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sat 25 Aug 2012, 15:15

And Jimenez is the fourth VC.

Lawrie's been looking very good this week.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 26 Aug 2012, 02:22

tricycle wrote:

Lawrie's been looking very good this week.

He must be close to career best form. It seems that his son beating him over 9 holes a year back has rekindled some pride in performance.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 26 Aug 2012, 03:09

The sons do the best things, Vaughan's got him to retire and Craig got Lawrie into form. But it has been been a great run for him in the past year and a half or so.

It will be tough for either him or Colsaerts to miss out on the Ryder cup spot. I'd say both have been better than some of the automatic picks this year.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 26 Aug 2012, 03:35

tricycle wrote:The sons do the best things, Vaughan's got him to retire and Craig got Lawrie into form. But it has been been a great run for him in the past year and a half or so.

It will be tough for either him or Colsaerts to miss out on the Ryder cup spot. I'd say both have been better than some of the automatic picks this year.

I'd love to see both of them play, they were the standouts at the World Matchplay in Spain.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 26 Aug 2012, 04:07

Aye, even more so than Westwood and Kaymer. Colsaerts wasn't bad there last year either, I think.

Just seen the ryder cup points and Lawrie is locked in with his European points. Three more to be announced and two are captain's picks, one of which will definitely be Poulter. So Colsaerts really should make it.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 26 Aug 2012, 19:56

Top win for Lawrie. Books his spot in the team.

Just when Westwood's season looked dead, he comes up with a decent tournament at the Fedex cup playoffs, which to me are the most ridiculous tournaments which basically undermine the whole of the first three quarters of the year.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Sun 26 Aug 2012, 20:41

Tiger in the horrors.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9700
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 28 Aug 2012, 01:56

Colsaerts and Poulter picked.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 28 Aug 2012, 03:12

tricycle wrote:Colsaerts and Poulter picked.

Sound choices. Can't wait.

European team:
Rory McIlroy (NIR), Justin Rose (ENG), Paul Lawrie (SCO), Graeme McDowell (NIR), Francesco Molinari (ITA), Luke Donald (ENG), Lee Westwood (ENG), Sergio Garcia (ESP), Peter Hanson (SWE), Martin Kaymer (GER), Ian Poulter (ENG), Nicolas Colsaerts (BEL)

Kaymer to be the form surprise of the event?
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 28 Aug 2012, 03:41

LYLE ON THE MEND

The fingers of the golfing world remain collectively crossed for Jarrod Lyle as he battles acute myeloid leukaemia for a second time, however all the signs remain positive. The bone-marrow transplant has been successful and he is no longer in hospital, though he and his wife Briony and little daughter Lusi Joy are living near the hospital in Melbourne, rather than their Shepparton home, because he still needs to be monitored every other day. His manager Tony Bouffler said: "Jarrod is going really well but obviously he is not out of the woods yet. He's ticked every box so far in the treatment results but there is no timetable to get back to golf."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/open-organisers-may-reflect-on-packers-decision-to-walk-away-20120825-24t5y.html#ixzz24nxbPCcR
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 28 Aug 2012, 03:44

The Sydney Morning Herald

Sport
Open organisers may reflect on Packer's decision to walk away
Date August 26, 2012 Read later Peter Stone
inShare Email article Print
Watching Howzat! last Sunday night with full knowledge of the ending tonight one could only wonder what might have happened in Australian golf and, in particularly, our national Open championship.
The Australian Open - on the federal government's anti-siphoning list of sports so must be on free-to-air TV - does not have a telecaster and its sponsorship portfolio is far from full.
But, the what-if is where would the Australian Open be if Kerry Packer had not walked away from his sponsorship and televising of the championship on his Nine Network in late 1978 after a four-year involvement, telling the then president of the old Australian Golf Union Dr Jim Dixon "you can go and get f---ed'' as he departed.
Packer wanted the Open to be played forever at The Australian club, the benefactor of his considerable largesse with yearly funding of about $400,000 and a complete redesign of the course by Jack Nicklaus. The big man envisaged an Augusta-like event shown to the world. The Open from 1975 to 1979 was under Packer's control and it revolutionised the telecasting of golf worldwide with all 18 holes covered. No one else did that in those days; they're all doing it now, and it was Packer and Nine who provided the model. The union was skint. With its charter to develop the game from the grassroots to the elite, it didn't have the funds. The Australian Sports Commission, and its generous funding of most sports, didn't exist.
So, all the union wanted from Packer was an extra 2.5 per cent of the gate receipts, which amounted to about $5000 a year. The union wouldn't budge on its demand; Packer would not budge from his refusal for the extra cash, no doubt because he didn't want another monumental stoush with officialdom as he had with the cricketing authorities that had cost him millions.
His argument with cricket was that players were grossly underpaid - and he won. Golfers these days are paid obscene money and those who collect the $1 million-plus winner's cheque barely blush.
But, what could have occurred had Packer not walked away from the game he loved more than cricket was that our national Open would surely have prospered almost beyond imagination. Nine has been unchallenged for the cricket rights since the World Series revolution and surely Nine would have been unchallenged as the official telecaster of our Open.
Yet just over three months out from the Open, Golf Australia (nee the union) is still searching for a network to cover it.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/open-organisers-may-reflect-on-packers-decision-to-walk-away-20120825-24t5y.html#ixzz24nxywYbd

-------

http://www.flamingbails.com/viewtopic.forum?t=13106
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40