Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK politics thread

+29
Ethics? The Gall!
WideWally
Red
Henry
Aditya
tricycle
PeterCS
Neil D
buckSH
Bradman
MoH
LeFromage
horace
beamer
Growler
Big Dog
Basil
skully
G.Wood
lardbucket
Brass Monkey
JGK
embee
bodyline
eowyn
Merlin
taipan
JKLever
Allan D
33 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

UK politics thread - Page 37 Empty Re: UK politics thread

Post by Basil Mon 18 Feb 2019, 18:50

7 MP's gone and I think there will be a steady trickle in weeks to come. The big question is, will any Tories follow suit? Anna Soubry maybe, possibly Heidi Allen as well, but I'm struggling to think of others.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 18 Feb 2019, 19:11

Basil wrote:7 MP's gone and I think there will be a steady trickle in weeks to come. The big question is, will any Tories follow suit? Anna Soubry maybe, possibly Heidi Allen as well, but I'm struggling to think of others.
Nick Boles is the obvious one being mentioned... and how about Ken Clarke to end his career with a final “f*ck Brexit” statement by joining them?

There’s seemingly a double figure number of ministers prepared to resign to stop no deal if it comes to it, so plenty of potential recruits there.

John Major and Tony Blair backing the same new party? It could yet happen Shocked

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 18 Feb 2019, 19:46

Personally I am hoping for a serious plunge in the pound to half its current value
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 18 Feb 2019, 20:21

It's an ill wind........
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2019, 21:25

Basil wrote:7 MP's gone and I think there will be a steady trickle in weeks to come. The big question is, will any Tories follow suit? Anna Soubry maybe, possibly Heidi Allen as well, but I'm struggling to think of others.
No chance of any Tories following suit. Absolutely no chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 15:00

It was only three Tory MPs, so I was basically right.

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 20 Feb 2019, 22:35

Good effort from Basil in tipping two of the three Tory defectors.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 23 Feb 2019, 02:01

Seems the no deal Brexiters are planning to really screw the Irish. Happily the EU is alert to this. The Republic will get through this and watch its prospects improve as Pomgolia's descend.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 24 Feb 2019, 09:16

horace wrote:Seems the no deal Brexiters are planning to really screw the Irish. Happily the EU is alert to this. The Republic will get through this and watch its prospects improve as Pomgolia's descend.
I can't see the EU throwing the Republic under the bus. I think they will tell May, it's their way or the highway. Oh what fun  Rolling Eyes
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 24 Feb 2019, 09:31

The hardliners still think Europe will blink at the last moment, when no deal is actually better for the EU than allowing us to have our cake and eat it.

Looks like a number of Cabinet ministers may rebel to try and end this game of chicken with jobs and lives shortly.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 24 Feb 2019, 09:48

The only certainty I think is that there is no majority in the H of C for No Deal, but that needs to be taken off the table asap.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn Sun 24 Feb 2019, 12:06

Sunday politics round up.
No deal would be best for us long term, but as usual people are too afraid to stand on their own two feet these days, something my father drummed into us from an early age. We won't get no deal of course, we will either get no Brexit or a version of May's deal, which is actually worse than remain, in many ways. I'd love to get no deal, but i can't see it with the spineless people who run our country scaremongering as they do.
Other than child benefit for my 3 kids i've never taken a single penny in welfare money and i doubt i ever will. I now earn very good money through study and hard graft.
Foreign aid should be halved immediately and the money put to helping our own people in crisis. Giving money in billions of pounds to places which hate us like Pakistan is crazy. We have ex-service people on the streets or in poverty, they and our own poor should come first, second and third. Let the billionaire Arab oil nations pay for poor Moslem countries like Pakistan and elsewhere. I notice the oil states won't take ANY Islamic refugees or asylum seekers. Even though same language and same ideology. No they all want to come here instead and fk us over. The rich oil nations know that the fakeugees are actually economic, political and religious colonists and they'd far rather they came to the west and continued the takeover ongoing for decades now.

whitburn

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 24 Feb 2019, 14:32

May announces that the meaningful vote will not take place until. 12th March. This really is taking the mickey. This will be 17 days away from Brexit day itself with no serious trade deals in place. You could not make this up.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 24 Feb 2019, 14:49

Well, it’s better than 28th March... but still, ridiculously close to the wire, and the MPs have to try and do something.

I’ve always thought that if we get into March and nothing is settled then I’ll start stocking up on extra essentials and favourite items... shortages are bound to occur ahead of the actual date, in some areas.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 24 Feb 2019, 15:14

And that's the way it will go, those who can will stock up, those who can't Will go short. This madness has to stop.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 25 Feb 2019, 00:32

Basil wrote:And that's the way it will go, those who can will stock up, those who can't Will go short. This madness has to stop.

This is becoming a classic Gordian knot. Rees-Mogg and no doubt Murdoch have sharpened their no deal swords.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 25 Feb 2019, 08:26

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:And that's the way it will go, those who can will stock up, those who can't Will go short. This madness has to stop.

This is becoming a classic Gordian knot. Rees-Mogg and no doubt Murdoch have sharpened their no deal swords.
No Deal might get taken off the table on Wednesday in the H of C. Some papers are suggesting a two month delay to Brexit to allow all the necessary legislation to be passed.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 25 Feb 2019, 08:30

Basil wrote:
horace wrote:

No Deal might get taken off the table on Wednesday in the H of C. Some papers are suggesting a two month delay to Brexit to allow all the necessary legislation to be passed.

Hope you are right and sense prevails.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 25 Feb 2019, 08:34

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:
horace wrote:

Hope you are right and sense prevails.
Sense left town on 23rd June 2016.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 25 Feb 2019, 08:44

Basil wrote:
horace wrote:

There still needs to be something to legislate on, though... May and her advisors are still out there unicorn-hunting.

A three month delay just means the no-deal precipice will return in the summer, then we rinse and repeat. Some are suggesting a kick back until 2021 if there’s nothing on the table, in which case surely we need a general election?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 25 Feb 2019, 09:00

beamer wrote:
Basil wrote:
horace wrote:

There still needs to be something to legislate on, though... May and her advisors are still out there unicorn-hunting.

A three month delay just means the no-deal precipice will return in the summer, then we rinse and repeat. Some are suggesting a kick back until 2021 if there’s nothing on the table, in which case surely we need a general election?
That would be the way to go: a general election, renegotiation and then a referendum.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 25 Feb 2019, 17:41

So the scumbag Corbyn is now supporting a second referendum to try and deter any further defections.

Doubtless Vilks will find some some virtue in this spineless piece of electioneering.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 25 Feb 2019, 17:49

Second referendum makes sense. Clearly there is more info around on the consequences.

Corbyn again will run dead in the campaign. That is what makes him untenable.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 25 Feb 2019, 17:52

horace wrote:Second referendum makes sense. Clearly there is more info around on the consequences.

Second referendum isn't my argument. Corbyn suddenly jumping tracks to protect his position is.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 25 Feb 2019, 17:58

taipan wrote:
horace wrote:Second referendum makes sense. Clearly there is more info around on the consequences.

Second referendum isn't my argument. Corbyn suddenly jumping tracks to protect his position is.
There may not be a majority for a second referendum. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think enough Tories will vote for it and a handful of Labour MP's will certainly vote against it.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next