Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK politics thread (II)

+13
Dello
lardbucket
Ronnie Sawyer
Big Dog
embee
beamer
JGK
taipan
Bradman
Growler
Basil
horace
skully
17 posters

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next

Go down

UK politics thread (II) Empty UK politics thread (II)

Post by skully Sat 16 Mar 2019, 01:05

[Points finger at Jo'burg]
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

UK politics thread (II) Empty Re: UK politics thread (II)

Post by horace Sat 16 Mar 2019, 03:42

skully wrote:Just did a members search for "vilkrang" - "Sorry, but no such poster exists".

Looks like our old mate vilky has had enough and has had his account removed. That's very sad.

On the other hand, whitburn still exists.

I too am upset about Vilky's departure. Hopefully if anyone has his non FB details they can get in touch and wish him well from all of us. (well most of us anyway)
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 20 Mar 2019, 10:58

Another week, yet more BREXIT chaos. Before it grants an extension, the EU looks to be demanding the Brits have an election or another referendum.

After the Speaker indicated that he won't accept a third consideration of the Maybot Bill, the numbers of headless chooks running around the HoC barnyard has increased. Could the Tories end up splitting?
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 20 Mar 2019, 19:29

The EU offer of an extension to the deadline is conditional on May's deal being approved in the H of C next week. There's 50% of bugger all chance of that happening.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 20 Mar 2019, 21:06

Basil wrote:The EU offer of an extension to the deadline is conditional on May's deal being approved in the H of C next week. There's 50% of bugger all chance of that happening.

Aye Basil. Boris and the Moggies will be licking their lips.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 20 Mar 2019, 22:00

I'm done with May and that rabble she leads. And no, I'm not joining the Corbyn fan club. A plague on both their houses.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 20 Mar 2019, 23:28

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:The EU offer of an extension to the deadline is conditional on May's deal being approved in the H of C next week. There's 50% of bugger all chance of that happening.

Aye Basil. Boris and the Moggies will  be licking their lips.

And you know the supreme irony of it, horrie?

It'll be the Remainers responsible for it.

May's deal is crap - but it *is* better than no deal - and what's more, it's the best offer we're going to get from the EU.

Mrs May has given 'em two chances to get no-deal binned, by voting for *the* deal. The extreme Brexiteers on their own couldn't vote it down if they voted every day 'til the end of time - there aren't enough of them. The extreme Remainers are the ones responsible for the impasse now. They can break it - but they'd rather play political games than do the right thing.
Growler
Growler

UK politics thread (II) MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 20 Mar 2019, 23:32

Growler wrote:
horace wrote:

Aye Basil. Boris and the Moggies will  be licking their lips.

And you know the supreme irony of it, horrie?

It'll be the Remainers responsible for it.

May's deal is crap - but it *is* better than no deal - and what's more, it's the best offer we're going to get from the EU.

Mrs May has given 'em two chances to get no-deal binned, by voting for *the* deal. The extreme Brexiteers on their own couldn't vote it down if they voted every day 'til the end of time - there aren't enough of them. The extreme Remainers are the ones responsible for the impasse now. They can break it - but they'd rather play political games than do the right thing.

Isn't this the nub of this whole debacle?? The House thumbing their collective noses at May is achieving absolutely nothing and will leave the UK in a right royal mess.

But the nay-voters now have to continue saving face or look like the dolts they are if they pass a deal that hasn't changed since they twice voted it down.

Or is bringing down May more important to these qunts than securing some sort of trade security with the EU?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 20 Mar 2019, 23:38

Basil wrote:I'm done with May and that rabble she leads. And no, I'm not joining the Corbyn fan club. A plague on both their houses.

Indeed Bas - Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron .... no difference between any of them. Red and Blue have morphed into washed-out pale Pink.
Same policies - illegal wars, higher debt, unmanaged *illegal* immigration without addressing the subsequent social consequenses (and I don't blame the immigrants themselves), collapsing public services, lip service to issues like climate change.

I've been spoiling my ballot paper for years now, because I can't vote for these arse-clowns.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 20 Mar 2019, 23:47

skully - yes indeed.

Here's the thing though - the extreme Brexiteers (whatever people think of them, or their stance on the issue) are acting with honour - in so far as they always said no deal is better than a bad deal ... they believe that Mrs May's deal is a bad one.

The Remainers always said that no deal is the worst outcome, bar none. They are the ones most likely to bring about a no deal exit. They are dolts, and yes, toppling Mrs May is more important than securing trade security - even though she pledged months ago to leave office after we leave.

Tells you all you need to know, mate.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 21 Mar 2019, 00:00

May had a chance of getting a better deal than this. As soon as she lost her majority, she needed to reach out to Labour MPs in Leave constituencies to arrive at some sort of deal based on a customs union. But she blew it. Don't let the door smack you up the arse as you leave Number 10 Teresa.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 21 Mar 2019, 00:34

Still it must gall even remainers (amongst the general public not the unrepresentative swill) the arrogance of the EU, for want of a better word.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 21 Mar 2019, 01:40

Bradman wrote:Still it must gall even remainers (amongst the general public not the unrepresentative swill) the arrogance of the EU, for want of a better word.

It was hardly unexpected given the relationship between the EU and Britain. This goes back to De Gaulle in the 50's
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 21 Mar 2019, 01:55

ATM it looks like it's going back further. This is beginning to look like a good old fashioned get square against a much weakened and thoroughly infiltrated opponent.

Oh the many historical parallels. Europe was probably more functional with gunships at ten paces.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 21 Mar 2019, 03:29

Bradman wrote:Still it must gall even remainers (amongst the general public not the unrepresentative swill) the arrogance of the EU, for want of a better word.

Still, if you dump your missus, you can hardly expect her to cook you dinner before you leave.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 21 Mar 2019, 04:04

Yeah but if you,re on an out of control train you shouldn't be hassled trying to jump off especially when you,re expected to tip the guard to access the door.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 21 Mar 2019, 17:29

Growler wrote:
Basil wrote:I'm done with May and that rabble she leads. And no, I'm not joining the Corbyn fan club. A plague on both their houses.

Indeed Bas - Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron .... no difference between any of them. Red and Blue have morphed into washed-out pale Pink.
Same policies - illegal wars, higher debt, unmanaged *illegal* immigration without addressing the subsequent social consequenses (and I don't blame the immigrants themselves), collapsing public services, lip service to issues like climate change.

I've been spoiling my ballot paper for years now, because I can't vote for these arse-clowns.
I’d take Blair back in an instant now, with a free pass to invade the oil-rich state of his choice, and a referendum on joining the Euro Wink

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 21 Mar 2019, 18:28

beamer wrote:
Growler wrote:

I’d take Blair back in an instant now, with a free pass to invade the oil-rich state of his choice, and a referendum on joining the Euro Wink
Things have come to a pretty pass when we're sighing wistfully for the days of Blair.

Corking quote from She Who Does Not Listen: "I'm still ensuring that we can get a deal through parliament. The. Woman. Is . Delusional.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 21 Mar 2019, 23:37

Not sure if there’s ever been a good PM, just levels and varieties of crapness. Wars, strikes, recessions, destruction of communities, making the poor poorer - most have at least two of those on their CV.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 25 Mar 2019, 18:33

Maybe time for May to pull the plug. Let's see who has the balls to take the job on.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Mar 2019, 03:43

Wow! The HoC is trying to take over theprocess from May. Three more Ministers split from Cabinet. At least the Maybot has given her strongest indication that she is opposed to No Deal. She has angered DUP by saying No Deal would be disastrous for NI given the suspension of the Stormont. This suggests she has accepted the bleeding obvious that No Deal BREXIT would lead to a rise in tensions and more pressure on the Good Friday Agreement that has benefited the people of NI and the Republic.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 26 Mar 2019, 07:45

It is possible that, faced with prospect of a softer brexit or no brexit at all, the DUP and the ERG might just get in line behind May' s deal.

She would still probably need some Labour votes as well and that looks unlikely after her speech last week which ticked off most MP's.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Mar 2019, 08:09

Basil wrote:It is possible that, faced with prospect of a softer brexit or no brexit at all, the DUP and the ERG might just get in line behind May' s deal.

She would still probably need some Labour votes as well and that looks unlikely after her speech last week which ticked off most MP's.

There are hints today from the Moggies they are softening their hard line stance. Must have been impressed by the quality of the port at Checkers.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 26 Mar 2019, 18:34

It's still odds against but I've long given up on predicting anything as far as this veil of tears is concerned.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 30 Mar 2019, 08:17

So "no deal" now favourite?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next