Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day

+17
Gary 111
taipan
PeterCS
Growler
krikri
Merlin
Allan D
Bradman
buckSH
JGK
Henry
tac
doremi
JKLever
The One
skully
PlanetPakistan
21 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day - Page 4 Empty Re: Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day

Post by doremi Mon 13 Sep 2010, 02:19

Having grown up where I have, I know there is nothing as effective as blind faith and religion in bringing down the red mist, to destroy any shred of humanity and decency, to turn normal decent human beings into inhuman merciless killers. Religion does turn good men into crazed bloodthirsty killers capable of anything, however depraved.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day - Page 4 Empty Re: Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day

Post by doremi Mon 13 Sep 2010, 02:25

AD has got to be joking. He's like a really bad parody of an extreme right wing person.

As for the mosque, or whatever they're making, it's a non-issue. It should be built there and people who oppose it are just being communal/racist fundoos.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Sep 2010, 11:43

Growler wrote:Vilks

Para 1 ..... thank you, and I'll forgive your ignorance this time Smile . Hence my dig about you being obtuse - it really did seem as though you were deliberately missing the point.

It's pretty well documented that the Russian Orthodox Church was a huge institution before the revolution. The Communist regime separated church and state, thus reducing its power and influence. Whilst religion was never expressly outlawed, church property was confiscated or destroyed, and believers were harassed, persecuted, imprisoned or indeed executed. Under Stalin, the number of churches fell from 29,000+ to fewer than 500. Whilst it's true that he did "revive" the church following the Nazi invasion of 1941, this was simply a matter of political expediency. He understood that it would probably encourage greater patriotic support for the war effort - since it was revived in name only and was never granted any real influence.

Para 2 ...... we all make sweeping statements, no worries. As for the teaching of creationism hindering youngsters trust and enthusiasm in science, I can't agree. I don't think it put people off in the past, when RE was a central part of the school curriculum. Now, its generally only faith schools which teach "old-style" RE. Whilst it's true enough that science courses have lost a degree in popularity in recent years, I suggest that's down to students having far greater choice of subject (especially at university), many of which are far less taxing on the brain, and far easier to attain a pass in. As religion seems to be declining in popularity I can't really see that as a reason for fewer people going into science.

Para 3 ..... I'm flattered that you credit me with some degree of intelligence, but I have to say you're wrong again ..... I am a creationist. When you concede that science and religion can co-exist to an extent, I believe the extent is much greater than you think. Forgive me for plagiarising a few lines from something I read last week, but it explains what I'm trying to say better than I ever could in my own words ...... ( he's an Oxford Professor of Maths, so far cleverer than I )

Quite simply, it's not a choice between the two. Many people confuse law with agency. God and his creation, or the laws of nature? By the same token .... Sir Frank Whittle, or the laws of physics? It's a confusion of category, since while the laws of physics explain how the jet engine works, somebody had to create the thing - build it, fuel it, and fire it up - laws themselves couldn't do that. Although he needed knowledge of the laws of physics, the task of actually bringing the jet engine into being needed the genius of Sir Frank as its agent. You can see what I'm getting at ?

To me, the universe was built to a rational, intelligent design. You may disagree, but to me, faith in a divine creator makes perfect scientific sense - I just can't imagine that the univeral laws of nature are a result of random lucky co-incidences.

Para 4 ....... Touche, I guess I deserved that.

I know I can be a sarky bugger at times - please don't let it put you off sparring with me. There are few enough of us prepared to spout bollox on here, so I'd hate for you to avoid me. You seem pretty well read in comparison with many of your age group I know, and you're certainly not stupid.

Your whole post looks like an olive branch - one which I'll gladly accept.
It is my understanding that creationism is a belief that the world is only 6000 years old and also a rejection of evolution. is this where you stand on the issue? Because I don't see how that belief can possibly be reconciled with science. Perhaps I have misunderstood what creationism means.

And on your last point, no worries Very Happy .

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Sep 2010, 11:58

doremi wrote:Having grown up where I have, I know there is nothing as effective as blind faith and religion in bringing down the red mist, to destroy any shred of humanity and decency, to turn normal decent human beings into inhuman merciless killers. Religion does turn good men into crazed bloodthirsty killers capable of anything, however depraved.
And you know they were initially "good men" just how exactly ... indeed, what made them good in the first place ...? Where did the "blind faith" originate - and why, as free thinking people in an alleged democracy, was that "blind faith" not questioned?!
Or were you just assuming/taking for granted that they were born 'good' men in order to make a point that religion, after all, contrived to make them bad!

I'm no religious freak, nor do I profess to be anything or follow any set piece for or against any form of religion for that matter, but the pontifications in some of the posts on here, mainly through assumptions and interpretations, are nothing short of hilarious!

Whether you and TO are from India, or whether you guys are Hindus or not - I frankly don't GAF.
The bottom line is that the two of you willingly cast your own personal aspersions about other religions and their followers, of which you clearly have limited knowledge (other than perhaps what you've read or have been indoctrinated with from an early age) - and, as a consequence, I thought it necessary to make the point about religious fervour amid the 1 billion Indians who worship a whole host of varying gods and godesses of varying species and origins!

But let's stop short of burning the Kama Sutra (along with the Bible and Koran - as you proposed) ... this is a book worthy of the top shelf in WH Smith's alongside Men Only and Mayfair but without the pictures !

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:21

No, I'm not a creationist as you describe. It's plain that the world is millions rather than thousands of years old, and I don't dismiss evolution out of hand.

However, while accepting that various creatures have adapted over the millenia, I'm not totally convinced by every aspect of it. To give an example - if, as it's sometimes proposed - we humans evolved from apes, then why do we still see apes ? surely they should have died out, like every other evolved creatures predecessor?

I'm a creationist in as far as while having no reason to dismiss the big bang theory as to how the universe came into being, I see it as purely an explanation of the events. As I said above, the laws/theory couldn't have caused it to occurr.

I find it easier to accept that God "lit the blue touch paper" so to speak, than to imagine that at some distant point back in time - suddenly out of absolutely nothing came our universe, along with all the laws of nature working perfectly from the beginning.
Growler
Growler

Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day - Page 4 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:37

Seems like we have a stoopid farker in Aus as well. Can't find his clip on Youtube now (probably taken down) but he tore pages out of the Bible and the Koran and rolled them up and smoked them. The Qld University lecturer is now lamenting that he's probably cost himself his job.

Farkin copey dunt

"An Australian lawyer has inflamed the row over a U.S. pastor's plan to burn the Koran by allegedly smoking holy books and posting the videos on YouTube.

Brisbane-based lawyer Alex Stewart, a self-professed atheist, is seen smoking what appear to be marijuana joints made up of pages from the Koran and the Bible."

----------------------------------------------------------

Geez people can be pig-sh!t thick. Attention-whoring it up on Youtube and wonders why people get up in arms. What a deadsh!t.

skully
skully

Number of posts : 105941
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Sep 2010, 12:41

Growler wrote:No, I'm not a creationist as you describe. It's plain that the world is millions rather than thousands of years old, and I don't dismiss evolution out of hand.

However, while accepting that various creatures have adapted over the millenia, I'm not totally convinced by every aspect of it. To give an example - if, as it's sometimes proposed - we humans evolved from apes, then why do we still see apes ? surely they should have died out, like every other evolved creatures predecessor?

I'm a creationist in as far as while having no reason to dismiss the big bang theory as to how the universe came into being, I see it as purely an explanation of the events. As I said above, the laws/theory couldn't have caused it to occurr.

I find it easier to accept that God "lit the blue touch paper" so to speak, than to imagine that at some distant point back in time - suddenly out of absolutely nothing came our universe, along with all the laws of nature working perfectly from the beginning.
I think that the above is a reasonable viewpoint to have, it's not something I believe myself but I am glad you are not a creationist as I described.

However the example you give involving apes is actually easily explainable in evolutionary terms, essentially us and apes are all descended from a common ancestor and the common species split and took two separate evolutionary paths, hence the reason we still see apes today. We got smarter, they got stronger, both examples of evolution though clearly our species came out on top.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Sep 2010, 16:23

skully wrote:Seems like we have a stoopid farker in Aus as well. ....

Brisbane-based lawyer Alec Stewart, a self-professed atheist, is seen smoking what appear to be marijuana joints made up of pages from the Koran and the Bible."

A slag-tip from Slurrey ... who'da thought it!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 13 Sep 2010, 18:11

Merlin wrote:And you know they were initially "good men" just how exactly ... indeed, what made them good in the first place ...?

How do you know anyone is good? People with happy families, who haven't imagined they'd kill anyone until the point that they actually did, who'd never kill anyone unless punch drunk on religious hatred - I assume them to be 'good' until they're turned 'bad'. Even in day to day life, otherwise level-headed, respectable people spout the most bigoted filthy hateful stuff when it comes to a different religion.

Where did the "blind faith" originate - and why, as free thinking people in an alleged democracy, was that "blind faith" not questioned?!
Or were you just assuming/taking for granted that they were born 'good' men in order to make a point that religion, after all, contrived to make them bad!

The whole point about blind faith is that it isn't questioned. As for its origin - religion. And what has being a democracy got anything to do with anything.

I'm no religious freak, nor do I profess to be anything or follow any set piece for or against any form of religion for that matter, but the pontifications in some of the posts on here, mainly through assumptions and interpretations, are nothing short of hilarious!

Time and again it's you making the assumptions really, most of them pointless, but that's something we've come to expect from you.

Whether you and TO are from India, or whether you guys are Hindus or not - I frankly don't GAF.
The bottom line is that the two of you willingly cast your own personal aspersions about other religions and their followers, of which you clearly have limited knowledge (other than perhaps what you've read or have been indoctrinated with from an early age) - and, as a consequence, I thought it necessary to make the point about religious fervour amid the 1 billion Indians who worship a whole host of varying gods and godesses of varying species and origins!

There are about 150mil Indians who are muslims, which is more than most muslim countries, 20mil+ Indians who are christians and millions of a thousand other religions. Your generalisation of all Indians as hindus and your defensive reflex of pointing out the 'features' of hinduism when two indian posters post their views about christianity and islam and their holy books, just lays bare your utter utter ignorance. The extent of your knowledge about India seems to be a few names of Indian dishes (vindaloo, popadom, chicken tikka masala) and yet you pontificate on the extent of knowledge I as an Indian would have on the subject. Your views on the whole host of 'indian' gods is so random, ignorant and pointless that it would have been annoying if anyone else had made the post.

The bottomline really is that you don't have a clue. My opinions on 'other' religions have nothing to do with me being an Indian. I am opposed to burning books of any kind, but IMO it wouldn't be any great loss, except as a historical record of mankinds stupidity and what to avoid like a plague in the future.

But let's stop short of burning the Kama Sutra (along with the Bible and Koran - as you proposed) ... this is a book worthy of the top shelf in WH Smith's alongside Men Only and Mayfair but without the pictures !

Ah the classic pointless pseudo joke to end.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Sep 2010, 18:30

Not my assumptions .... YOURS dough-boy.

But yeah, no worries, rant on with the pseudo-knocking of religions and burn all the Bibles you wish to .... it clearly makes you feel a lot better and reinforces the non-believers stance on religion poisoning the world ...

I'll continue reading the posts with much amusement.

PS - How do you know anyone is good?

It was a question I put to you ... viz., when did they start off being "good" - and when, in your esteemed knowledge and wisdom, did they then turn "bad".
Knock yourself out answering that one ....

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 13 Sep 2010, 18:39

I did answer it. Read the first paragraph FFS.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:10

So are we all at least agreed that the pope is a stupid old c*nt?
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:13

Was there ever any doubt? Shocked
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:20

At least with most other churches the nuttiness comes from the fundamentalist fringe, unfortunately with the Catholic church it comes right from the indisputed leader.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:34

As far as I'm concerned, the only religion is CRICKET. All that other tosh is...well...complete tosh.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:41

Eric Air Emu wrote:So are we all at least agreed that the pope is a stupid old c*nt?

A couple of billion (a fair few of them not on this forum certainly) would most probably disagree with you ...
but what the hell, it's a good soundbite !

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:47

A couple of a billion tykes (well probably closer to a billion). Meh, What would they know?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:49

Terry Jones- Burn the Quran day - Page 4 Pope

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:51

Maybe we should start slagging of the Koran. It might get traffic up a bit.

It might also get us fire-bombed. Shocked
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:00

skully wrote:Maybe we should start slagging of the Koran. It might get traffic up a bit.

It might also get us fire-bombed. Shocked

So you fear Muslims more than Catholics eh Skulls....... interesting!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:07

I fear all religious nuts, Merls. They're all stoopid irrational qunts.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Sep 2010, 23:19

Growler wrote:No, I'm not a creationist as you describe. It's plain that the world is millions rather than thousands of years old, and I don't dismiss evolution out of hand.

Actually I agree with your last sentence because it is possible that a god did set it all off.

But just because science can not currently explain something doesn't mean it must have been a god. Things that once were worshipped are now explained.

The most improbable part of evolution is the origin of life. But it only had to happen once on one of the billions of star systems.

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 14 Sep 2010, 00:40

Clamson wrote:
But just because science can not currently explain something doesn't mean it must have been a god. Things that once were worshipped are now explained.

Excellent point. I watched some nutty doco the other evening about Ancient Aliens. The loonies main premise was "science cannot explain how the ancients built the pyramids, Macchu Picchu, Nazca lines etc so they must have had help from aliens".

A somewhat familiar leap of faith
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 14 Sep 2010, 03:26

LIke woody believeing he'll get laid one day . . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 14 Sep 2010, 03:28

tac wrote:LIke woody believeing he'll get laid one day . . . .

Just proves that Ippy is inhabited by Aliens
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26208
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next