Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes)

+16
G.Wood
Gary 111
horace
Allan D
skully
JGK
taipan
embee
mynah
lardbucket
WideWally
Brass Monkey
WR Hammond
Bradman
tricycle
PeterCS
20 posters

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next

Go down

Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes) Empty Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes)

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:02

(For example:) What's the linking factor between these dates?:

(1939 only)

Clue if needed:

Spoiler:

Last edited by PeterCS on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:13; edited 2 times in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes) Empty Re: Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes)

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:11

More testing perhaps is this:

Can you explain the origin of the following cricket terms?

(1-4 meaning the fielding positions, of course!)

1. "point"
2. "slip"
3. "cover"
4. "third man"

5. "the crease"
6. "the popping crease"
7. "the wicket"
8. "cricket"

Bonus: "Nelson"

(Answers in due course - but you can chase them all up via google if you prefer not to wait!)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes) Empty Re: Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes)

Post by tricycle Sat 05 Jan 2013, 03:39

Spoiler:

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:11

Not sure if to bother with the Spoiler, but anyway ....

Spoiler:
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:14

PeterCS wrote:(For example:) What's the linking factor between these dates?:

(1939 only)

Clue if needed:

Spoiler:

Dates when balls per over were changed in some way? Don't know what way.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:16

Nelson
Spoiler:
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:19

The ballsy question ....

Yes, that's it!

Spoiler:
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:21

Nelson - that's true to an extent (not for 444, 333, 555 though), but the question is rather, where does it come from.

It's not a patriotic celebration of the Battle of Trafalgar! Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:23

Have to get to bed. Answers to the remaining bits another time (or google ...!).
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:44

PeterCS wrote:Nelson - that's true to an extent (not for 444, 333, 555 though), but the question is rather, where does it come from.

Spoiler:

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 05 Jan 2013, 04:46

PeterCS wrote:Nelson - that's true to an extent (not for 444, 333, 555 though), but the question is rather, where does it come from.

He only had one arm, one leg and one eye. Not sure about his balls, you'd have to ask Lady Emma.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 13:06

Aye, that's it. Including that it was erroneous. His legs were fine. Middle leg too, probably.

Which reminds me: ...................................................

Can you explain the origin of the following cricket terms?

1. "point"

6. "the popping crease"
7. "the wicket"
8. "cricket"
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by WR Hammond Sat 05 Jan 2013, 13:25

Point = "At the point of the bat", originally a very close fielding position on the off side, popularised, I believe, by EM Grace
WR Hammond
WR Hammond

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-07-28
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 13:51

Exactly. Often close in, slightly forward of square. To cramp where the batsman would tend to guide offside shots (rather than straight driving).

For slow bowling only.

Nyren (1833) for example:

"THE POINT OF THE BAT (SLOW BOWLING)
He should place himself within three yards and a half of the batsman, directly opposite to the popping crease. This is nearer than is generally recommended. (... But) I have more frequently played at three yards than at three yards and a half from the batsman, and yet never received an injury from the ball. (....)

Independently of the [catching] advantage to be derived from playing so near, I never knew a batsman like to have the point moving in at every ball he blocked."

However, he does go on to concede, wisely:

... In fast bowling, the station of the point should be least seven yards from the batsman, and rather behind the popping crease. Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 15:19

Bumble was on about 'the popping crease' during the WI Tests. I still don't quite get it. Well, I do, sort of, but would like a physical demonstration - something about batsmen having to put their bat in a hole for a run to count in days gone by. Weird.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sat 05 Jan 2013, 16:19

Buckled and searched the origin of the term cricket. I'm still satisfied with insect...

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 17:54

Brass Monkey wrote:Bumble was on about 'the popping crease' during the WI Tests. I still don't quite get it. Well, I do, sort of, but would like a physical demonstration - something about batsmen having to put their bat in a hole for a run to count in days gone by. Weird.

My source puts it this way:

Under the early rules of cricket, to complete a 'notch', sometimes also called a 'run', the batsman had to place the end of his bat in a 'popping hole' that was cut into the turf. In order to get the batsman out, the fielding team had to put the ball in this hole before the batsman could reach it with his bat. However, this rule led to serious hand injuries, and came to be superseded by the batsman having to touch a stick held by the umpire. Eventually, the original 'popping hole' was represented symbolically by a line (which came to be called the popping crease) to signify the proper completion of a run.

(Geoff Tibballs, No-Balls & Googlies. A Cricket Companion)

A few thoughts:

1. "However, this rule led to serious hand injuries ..." Very Happy

2. It sounds very like reaching a base in baseball .... I wonder if in the past, a baseball batter used to have to touch the base with his bat? (As with TDs (which involve no touching-down) in American Football, the evolution from bat contact to getting a foot or any part of your body on the base (before you can be "thrown out", as used to happen with the ball in the "popping hole" in cricket) seems very plausible.)

3. And we thought WE were sex-obsessed. The description of the old procedures above ("popping it in", getting ends of bats or balls in holes, touching the umpire's stick, etc.) sounds like a load of Margaret-Mead-meets-Morris-dancing-and-Monty-Python-type fertility rituals!

4. So whose stick would the non-striker get to touch, according to that amended law of proper run completion? Did the umpires stand at both wickets? Or was the run deemed duly completed if only the striker got home?

5. The popping hole and the umpire's stick must have been early cricket history, because the 1744 Laws already talk of "ye popping crease".
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 17:56

tricycle wrote:Buckled and searched the origin of the term cricket. I'm still satisfied with insect...

You should enter for "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here".

Okay, still awaiting explanations for "wicket" and (insect-unrelated) "cricket" ..... .....
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 17:57

Btw: "Umpire" also has an interesting origin ...

Anyone?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Sat 05 Jan 2013, 18:33

Um - An expression of indecision
Pyre - A pile or heap of wood or other combustible material used for burning the dead body of the dirty cheating bastard who gave you out.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 19:00

Marty's response to that might be an interesting read ....

(Or Rachel's ... wherever she might be.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 05 Jan 2013, 21:15

PeterCS wrote:
tricycle wrote:Buckled and searched the origin of the term cricket. I'm still satisfied with insect...

You should enter for "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here".

Both to do with sheep and shepherds?

Okay, still awaiting explanations for "wicket" and (insect-unrelated) "cricket" ..... .....
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 05 Jan 2013, 21:31

The UK edition of "Celebrity" (which I admit I've never watched beyond sneaky trailers, but it's difficult to avoid all mediafaffle) features undesirable "tasks" in the Aussie bush, such as necking all sorts of bush tucker. The creepy-crawlier the better, it seems.

I was suggesting (jokily) Trike has an insect fetish.

Or was yours only an answer to where the term "cricket" came from, bradders? *confused of Pomgolia*
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 09:32

A wicket is like a little gate thingy, or that attachment to a gate - a bit like a 'style'. It's what they used to bowl underarm at when it was just a yeoman pasttime. Stumps obviously comes from when they were bowling at a tree.

Cricket is a funny one - I've read that really it's undefined. There're theories that it's some sort of Flemmish word, but I remain unconvinced.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:04

Yes that's what a wicket was. Originally "wicket gate".

A small gate, originally composed of wooden laths, later also of metal bars, sometimes part of a larger door or gate for individual access - Andrew Mitchell style.

Trivia & Quizzia 2013 (an occasional series, by whoever wishes) Cat13_gatewick

Cricket is, as Dan and Trike have said, still disputed.

The majority opinion has something to do with Old Norse words leading to "crooked" (like a shepherd's crook, a bishop's crook or crosier, a crutch for walking, a croquet stick which gave that more sedate sport its name, crochet as a form of knitting with a hooked or bent needle .....)

Of the various "stick and ball" games which have existed for donkey's ears and aeons, cricket conspicuously used a bent or hooked stick - it used to look more like a (field) hockey stick does these days (though "hockey" < "hooky" also seems obvious).

Incidentally re: "crooked": as Derek Bierley's two great books on cricket history make clear, the association of cricket with betting, cheating, corruption goes back pretty much to the origins of the game - aristocrats trying to make money as well as sport, and others betting and pulling fast ones on the side - and ran through the 19th century that is sometimes naively upheld to be a pristine age, cricket's Eden.

Not to say that corruption should not be resisted - and there is no place in AT World XIs for cheaters, clearly - but cricket was never an innocent pastime. John Major and his ilk take note.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next