Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker

+7
lardbucket
skully
horace
Henry
LeFromage
Brass Monkey
beamer
11 posters

Go down

Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker Empty Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker

Post by beamer Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:27

Across all formats of international cricket, overtaking one I.T. Botham. Who would have predicted that a few years ago?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker Empty Re: Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:28

beamer wrote:Who would have predicted that a few years ago?

Jimmy Anderson.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker Empty Re: Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker

Post by LeFromage Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:43

How many years is a few years? I probably wouldn't have predicted it before he was born.

Although I think Trev did.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:46

When the terms "Anderson Cycle" and "bage" were all the rage on here. '08/'09 perhaps?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:47

Rubbish. He's still a good bowler/playing/alive, isn't he?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:52

Henry wrote:He's still a good bowler/playing/alive, isn't he?

Erm, yeah. I think he's probably all of these.

Was that the question? I've lost track of this thread already...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:57

The question is- Is Matt Coles ready to step up and lead the English attack when Jimmy retires?

I say yes.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:58

He's only gone and ruined it. We were all just going to talk about how nice Jimmy's hair is.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:04

I think people probably predicted Jammy would break some records - if he stayed fit (which he mostly has) - back in the day merely by virtue of starting out in the national team so young. 19 or 20 or whatever he was.

Just sheer longevity tends to wipe out most of the old records, so often does the modern cricketer play.

Ian Bell, for example, has more Test runs than Adam Gilchrist, Martin Crowe, Jack Hobbs, Doug Walters, Chappelli and Bill Lawry, among others.

What a travesty for them.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:06

His test strike rate and average remains inferior to the likes of Gough and Fraser. Even Dean Headley. I'd imagine him and Caddick have similar test stats? (and sex appeal)
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:11

Henry wrote:His test strike rate and average remains inferior to the likes of Gough and Fraser. Even Dean Headley. I'd imagine him and Caddick have similar test stats? (and sex appeal)

Caddy: 62 matches, 234 wickets, @ 29.91, econ 3.09, s/r 57.9

Janderson: 77 matches, 288 wickets, @ 30.39, econ 3.10, s/r 58.8

I don't know how to measure their respective sex appeals. I guess if you're into ears, one shades it over the other.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:16

Caddick averaged more wickets per game and more wickets per innings.

In retrospect, he was a very underrated bowler.

Partially due to him being a bit of a frostylocks who the fans never liked anywhere near as much as Goughy, but mainly due to the number of times games were seemingly set up for Caddy to steam in and win England the Test only for him to go AWOL.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:30

We've not had too many "likeable" fast bowlers in my time following England. They seem to be generally moody, inconsistent, petulant and sometimes arrogant characters... the only ones easy to take to as a supporter have been the honest hard working sorts with the talent to go with it, e.g. Gough, Fraser and Hoggard.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 18 Feb 2013, 04:18

as i mentioned on another thread the big mahmoo (aka saj the wonderhorse) was a favourite
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 18 Feb 2013, 05:07

Jimm-eh will tear us a new arsehole between June and October this year, and then probably tear it again next summer.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105943
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 18 Feb 2013, 06:39

Dello wrote:How many years is a few years? I probably wouldn't have predicted it before he was born.

Although I think Trev did.

Turn it up. If Trev had predicted it, it wouldn't have happened. Have you no regard for his powers?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38098
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 18 Feb 2013, 06:43

Trev predicted Beefy would be pomgolia's leading wicket taker forever... just as Mr Anderson's condom broke
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26209
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:17

Very Happy
Growler
Growler

Jimmy Anderson - England's record wicket taker MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:31

beamer wrote:We've not had too many "likeable" fast bowlers in my time following England. They seem to be generally moody, inconsistent, petulant and sometimes arrogant characters... the only ones easy to take to as a supporter have been the honest hard working sorts with the talent to go with it, e.g. Gough, Fraser and Hoggard.

Jimmy has certainly earned my respect over the last four years or so. When he started out, he seemed to be as meek as a mouse and to pre-occupied with his image to make it as an international cricketer, but these days he's a hardened fast bowler who always puts in and has good body language.

I'd say he's a tad overrated compared to some other England bowlers of the last 10 years, but his record since 2008 is very impressive.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 13:21

Henry wrote:
beamer wrote:We've not had too many "likeable" fast bowlers in my time following England. They seem to be generally moody, inconsistent, petulant and sometimes arrogant characters... the only ones easy to take to as a supporter have been the honest hard working sorts with the talent to go with it, e.g. Gough, Fraser and Hoggard.

Jimmy has certainly earned my respect over the last four years or so. When he started out, he seemed to be as meek as a mouse and to pre-occupied with his image to make it as an international cricketer, but these days he's a hardened fast bowler who always puts in and has good body language.

I'd say he's a tad overrated compared to some other England bowlers of the last 10 years, but his record since 2008 is very impressive.

Nice Post Mel.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 18 Feb 2013, 13:41

Got to give Jimmy rispeck... Since the start of 2009 he's taken 180 wickets @ 27.5.

Only the top two pace-playing teams have hacked him and even then he hasn't been awful.

Business enough, 46 Tests.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 18 Feb 2013, 13:42

2003- Jimmy's ace!!! Laughing loveisintheair

I'm not sure about cricket but it looked like he did well today! cheers

Keep it up Jimmy!!!! lol lol loveisintheair applause

2012- You're all despicable and I just came on here to say that I'm a confident woman now, and I'm never posting here again. howl
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 18 Feb 2013, 16:36

Have you been consorting with tac?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down