Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

+21
Basil
Merlin
Paul Keating
Henry
G.Wood
lardbucket
PeterCS
Anthony_Gonzales
The One
JGK
Lara Lara Laughs
Big Dog
tricycle
taipan
horace
embee
Brass Monkey
furriner
spangler
skully
LeFromage
25 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

OT: Favourite Current Television Programme? - Page 13 Empty Re: OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

Post by Guest Sat 26 Sep 2015, 13:57

Okay, I don't think it's going to be as good as the first season of Heroes but so far it seems a bit tighter than the later seasons. 

Still plenty of time to f*ck it up/get awesome though.

Back to top Go down

OT: Favourite Current Television Programme? - Page 13 Empty Re: OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

Post by LeFromage Sat 26 Sep 2015, 19:48

vilkrang wrote:New Heroes anyone? Special effects are as shite as always. I'm also bored already without any of the old good heroes showing up yet (apart from Gordon Freeman).

Thought about d/l it, but wasn't sure I could be arsed.

Who the hell is Gordon Freeman? From Half Life? I don't remember him in Heroes.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Sep 2015, 20:38

Dello wrote:
vilkrang wrote:New Heroes anyone? Special effects are as shite as always. I'm also bored already without any of the old good heroes showing up yet (apart from Gordon Freeman).

I think he looks a bit like Noah. Just me?

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 26 Sep 2015, 20:44

What happened to the test card? Fecking awesome that was.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 26 Sep 2015, 23:33

vilkrang wrote:Only two episodes have been released so far, I'm just starting the second one. 

If you liked the original then you'll definitely like this, if you had problems with the original (i.e. most people) then I don't think it's a total lost cause yet. Just about to watch episode two, I'll let you know my thoughts after that, it's just about holding my attention so far.

Plus Matt Parkman is only in one episode apparently (not yet though). I hate that guy. Suresh is in a few though...

It seems like it's only going to be Gordon Freeman who is in every episode but he was one of the better characters so that's not really a bad thing. I'd prefer more Hiro and would have been nice for a Spock cameo but it's not a complete disaster (yet).

Cheers. I really liked Heroes in S1 & S2 but it subsequently became ridiculously convoluted, what with all the forward and reverse time travel.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 27 Sep 2015, 01:52

vilkrang wrote:
Dello wrote:

I think he looks a bit like Noah. Just me?

Well, he wears glasses...

So does Dame Edna Everage, though.

Gordon Freeman has a goatee.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2015, 09:50

I guess it's the glasses. Anyone with glasses is like Gordon Freeman if they also shoot people and beat people up.

I don't think Gordon Freeman beats people up actually. I think he wants to though. He's also a scientist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 00:37

Gordon Freeman doesn't beat people up, he dances round them while smashing their face in with a crowbar. Much more cultured.

Classic game.

They do look similar except the beard thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 28 Sep 2015, 02:39

Bit of Half Life trivia for yous all: J.J. Abrams (Star Trek/Wars/Sintheireyes) has the rights to make a HL movie. Or TV series. Or nothing.

LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 03:07

Much as I like Half-Life, hopefully the latter. I've yet to come across a film based on a game that isn't bad. Wing Commander, anyone? You'd struggle to make a worse film even if the subject was Tetris, the actors were all corpses and the budget was whatever you could beg from the local tramps.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 28 Sep 2015, 16:53

I saw the Super Mario Bros movie at the cinema. Paid for a ticket.

In my defence, I was only about 12. But even then, I knew after about two minutes that I'd made a huge mistake.

As video games become more cinematic, I think the potential for cross over films becomes more likely. But, as you say, all efforts thus far have been shocking.

Bioshock could've been a quality movie, but director Gore Verbinski couldn't get the funding for it unless he toned down the horror and violence for a more a family-friendly audience, so he abandoned the project.

It's an old game, but I've always thought Grim Fandango could be made into a feature length animation and it would be awesome. For many years there have been rumours of Tim Burton trying to get something started.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 28 Sep 2015, 17:42

Dello wrote:I saw the Super Mario Bros movie at the cinema. Paid for a ticket.

In my defence, I was only about 12. But even then, I knew after about two minutes that I'd made a huge mistake.

As video games become more cinematic, I think the potential for cross over films becomes more likely. But, as you say, all efforts thus far have been shocking.

Bioshock could've been a quality movie, but director Gore Verbinski couldn't get the funding for it unless he toned down the horror and violence for a more a family-friendly audience, so he abandoned the project.

It's an old game, but I've always thought Grim Fandango could be made into a feature length animation and it would be awesome. For many years there have been rumours of Tim Burton trying to get something started.

I too saw Super Mario Bros at Le cine. I too was young and naive. I was so naive that I thought I might get to finger blast the girl I took to see it. Turns out it doesn't usually turn out like that. Oh no no. Bought popcorn AND a massive drink. That was money wasted that could've been spent at Zap Atax. 

As for Grim Fandango, I totally agree. It's a great concept with great design. They recently released an Android version... Stands up well. Same with Sam and Max. And Monkey Island.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 28 Sep 2015, 19:54

Dello wrote:I saw the Super Mario Bros movie at the cinema. Paid for a ticket.

I bought two tickets yesterday. Before the movie started they switched all the lights off and showed adverts. I don't think it's going to catch on.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:01

The Warcraft movie out next year has the best potential to be a decent film from any game/movie crossover there has been.

Blizzard spent a long long time getting the right people on board as they are renowned for not releasing anything unless they are absolutely happy with it. They have cancelled two games in the past (Warcraft Adventures and Starcraft Ghost) that were near completion because they weren't up to standard, they could quite easily have released a couple of sub par games and made a bit of money back on them but decided they didn't want to damage their name. Very few companies who would do that.

Duncan Jones is directing, I haven't actually seen any of his films but they have all been critically well received. 

Mortal Kombat is the closest any game/film crossover has come to being decent so the competition isn't particularly high and taking all of the above in to consideration I would be surprised if it wasn't at least the best game/film crossover there has been. 

And having played Warcraft games since Warcraft 2 in the mid 90s I'm practically creaming myself already at the prospect of the film.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 29 Sep 2015, 14:48

vilkrang wrote:
Duncan Jones is directing, I haven't actually seen any of his films but they have all been critically well received. 

Moon is terrific. Low-budget, old school sci-fi - less about explosions and monsters, more the human aspect. Great score by Clint Mansell.

Source Code is... uh, Moon in terrific. Actually, Source Code is a decent film in its own right.

And both are better than anything daddy Jones has put his stage name to in the last 30 years. So there's that.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 29 Sep 2015, 14:53

Brass Monkey wrote:
As for Grim Fandango, I totally agree. It's a great concept with great design. They recently released an Android version... Stands up well. Same with Sam and Max. And Monkey Island.

They've already made a Monkey Island movie. A bunch of them, in fact. But they're called Pirates of the Caribbean.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19443_7-classic-movies-you-didnt-know-were-rip-offs.html
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 29 Sep 2015, 14:56

Dello wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:

They've already made a Monkey Island movie. A bunch of them, in fact. But they're called Pirates of the Caribbean.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19443_7-classic-movies-you-didnt-know-were-rip-offs.html

Nahhhh - I recognise that both were inspired by some theme park ride - but I want Threepwood. I want LeChuck. I don't want some Keith Richards rip-off.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 29 Sep 2015, 16:13

Dello wrote:Bioshock could've been a quality movie, but director Gore Verbinski couldn't get the funding for it unless he toned down the horror and violence for a more a family-friendly audience, so he abandoned the project.
Now that would be a film worth watching. Even the sequel could be taken straight from the game with the big daddy perspective.

Shame I was so utterly shit at gaming that I had to give up on level 2.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 30 Sep 2015, 15:37

They're making a film of The Last of Us, which, I repeat, is a stunning game.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 20:51

I hear The Last of Us is a great game. I guess there won't be a PC port though.

I'm not sure such films will ever work. They're totally different media, it's not possible to replicate the depth that interactivity gives you. There will never be a film like Planescape: Torment. Games don't age well but I'll never forget that one (and its average gameplay).

It might work with an action game at some point but no one's made a Call of Duty film yet, so they must think it's a terrible idea or a massive risk. The length surely lends games a bit more to a TV series though. And by that I mean a British 6-8 episodes, not an American 28 show multi-season rambling monster (that gets canned). Unlikely to happen - you want to sell your licence for a CoD film, not a made for TV series that makes no money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 09:24

Mr. Robot? Anyone?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Fri 09 Oct 2015, 09:34

Brass Monkey wrote:Mr. Robot? Anyone?

Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:13

I was going to say I've heard good things about Mr Robot and The Leftovers. Was going to suggest Mr Robot for Dan (due to his work) and The Leftovers for Dello (his kind of thing). Not seen either but will be giving Mr Robot a go for sure.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 11:18

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I was going to say I've heard good things about Mr Robot and The Leftovers. Was going to suggest Mr Robot for Dan (due to his work) and The Leftovers for Dello (his kind of thing). Not seen either but will be giving Mr Robot a go for sure.

It's weird. It's sort of 80's style, but not. Christian Slater makes it even more 80's style. F*cking weird.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:10

Dreadful forumming, BD.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next