Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XV)

+14
Aditya
Fred Nerk
OP Tipping
Fromage
beamer
Blackadder
WideWally
Bradman
Red
taipan
JGK
embee
Big Dog
horace
18 posters

Page 16 of 37 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26 ... 37  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XV) - Page 16 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XV)

Post by Bradman Tue 09 Apr 2019, 06:59

Mrs Bignell by God's Own out of Regal Touch seeing we're talking about Kierkegaard and delusions of grandeur.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XV) - Page 16 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XV)

Post by skully Tue 09 Apr 2019, 07:10

Bradman wrote:You'd like Kierkegaard skulls.  Especially his attitude towards subjectivity and truth.

Seems a smidge high brow for me, Q.

I'm just a humble country boy who loves his cricket and hates his Pinkos. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 09 Apr 2019, 07:17

Fark me Mrs Bignell placed too. Odds nothing to right home about doublings your money is doubling your money.

Alright country boy, humble and cricket.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 14:35

skully wrote:
Bradman wrote:You'd like Kierkegaard skulls.  Especially his attitude towards subjectivity and truth.

Seems a smidge high brow for me, Q.

I'm just a humble country boy who loves his cricket and hates his Pinkos. Cool

Rubbish Skully. Given the world, arthritis and Shane Watson's bottom lip is your fault you have nothing to be humble about (tho an apology would not go astray).

I reckon you would have a bit of fun reading a bit of philosophy. I find anything that gives me pause for thought, beyond why is it I constantly need reminding to do up my fly, is great.

Skully, if you have Netflix I strongly recommend Babylon Berlin (qmy would like it too). It is rare I re-watch any show but still being banged up I have just had a binge.  

Among other things the show illustrates some of the politics in Germany in the late 20's:
* on the reds side there are 3 main varieties - Stalinists, Trotskyists and good old Comms
* the radishes are German Social Democrats - who the military and the right blamed for loss of the war and the left consider sell-outs
* the tories are an amalgam of the Catholic right and other wing nuts eg German Nationals. Their quasi leader von Hindenburg was Pres of the Weimar Republic - many of these folk actually opposed democracy and wanted restoration of the Kaiser (see Skully - it is always important to lop the heads of the royals)
* the military are major political players - always on the right
* Nazis

Watching the politics you get a sense of some of the philosophies underpinning different positions. You also get a sense of the grinding poverty exacerbated by the Treaty of Versailles. Above all the show is a ripping procedural with wonderful acting, including Liv Lisa Fries. 

It is rare that I wish I was younger. However Ms Fries makes me wish I was 30, intelligent, fluent in at least four languages (inc Mandarin as well as German), talented, witty and at least passably attractive. If those wishes were realised, I would be on the next flight to Berlin with a couple of film scripts.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 09 Apr 2019, 14:45

Enoch Powell knew 12 languages and was fluent in 8
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 15:14

taipan wrote:Enoch Powell knew 12 languages and was fluent in 8

Meh, my Godmother is fluent in 9 or 10. I lost count. Worked for the French as a high level interpreter in German and Russian. She was born in China and pretty much became trilingual as a little kid.

Even at 92 she looks how you might imagine Ingrid Bergman would look at that age. While becoming physically frailer her mental faculties inc ability as a linguist remain sharp.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 15:16

We are way off topic here Nigel, but you would enjoy Babylon Berlin as well.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 09 Apr 2019, 15:23

Mrsq still claims fluency in six (though that would require more practise than watching foreign movies) and can definately get by in another three or four.

Always wished I had the ear for them they were always a struggle. Though actually that might have been more to do with being chronically lazy.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 15:48

Bradman wrote:Mrsq still claims fluency in six (though that would require more practise than watching foreign movies) and can definately get by in another three or four.  

Always wished I had the ear for them they were always a struggle.  Though actually that might have been more to do with being chronically lazy.

I am hopeless. The fave ex-Mrs H did a short stint in Timor, had a month's prep and ended up being able to chat and deliver and write speeches in Tetum. It is like a super hero skill as far as I am concerned.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 09 Apr 2019, 16:07

I could always cope out of necessity. But mainly in the local bastardised versions of European languages I at least had some familiarity with. Funnily enough I could read French and even translate French legal documents quite well but would have been hard pressed to follow a conversation in a Parisian bar.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 16:17

Bradman wrote:I could always cope out of necessity.  But mainly in the local bastardised versions of European languages I at least had some familiarity with.  Funnily enough I could read French and even translate French legal documents quite well but would have been hard pressed to follow a conversation in a Parisian bar.

Fun language based trivia question

Who was denied entry to Australia because he could not write the Lord's Prayer in Gaelic (Scottish version)? This was after he has after he had passed tests in several European languages.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 09 Apr 2019, 16:41

I know there's a few quirkies like this one. Mannix at the request of the British govt?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 17:05

Bradman wrote:I know there's a few quirkies like this one.  Mannix at the request of the British govt?

nope but not that one .... here is a hint ... Menzies was A-G at the time.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 09 Apr 2019, 17:26

Ironic about Evatt's involvement.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Apr 2019, 18:32

Bradman wrote:Ironic about Evatt's involvement.

Yes. That was a bonus. Ming's reported comments 75 years ago are as pig ignorant as any of Spudhead, Hanson, ScuMo et al.

If Curtin had been better than a social democrat, Ming would have his neck stretched for the pig iron episode plus he was a public admirer of Hitler until late in the piece. Think he visited Germany in late 1938 and was impressed.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 10 Apr 2019, 03:23

Just realised that Santo Santoro was the lobbyist paid $10K to set up up the meeting between the Chinese guy and Minister Spudhead.

Spudhead might be a millionaire ex Qld copper but he is not thick. Santoro is venal and thick as a brick. Didn't know he was a lobbyist.

Aside from whether Spudhead copped a sling out of the meeting (to be proved) it was a serious lapse of judgement to have anything to do with Santo.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 10 Apr 2019, 04:00

I thought he was dead or doing time.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 10 Apr 2019, 06:27

Bradman wrote:I thought he was braindead orand doing a waste oftime.

EFA

Met Santo a few times. He was a power within the Libs/CLP for ages which helps explain how loopy and craven the outfit was at that time.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 10 Apr 2019, 06:52

Name always used to be in the news during the dying years of Joh and I was only home for a couple of days at a time. But he was all over the place in the noughties.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 10 Apr 2019, 06:54

Meanwhile Short Pants weighs in

"Bill Shorten described the Four Corners revelations as unhealthy.

“It is explosive and very surprising revelations on Four Corners last night about the conduct of the minister in charge, one of the ministers in charge of national security where it is cash for access and meeting people connected to the Chinese government.

“This is very unhealthy.”

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 10 Apr 2019, 06:58

When is someone gonna tell Turncoat to shut the fark up and just go away??

What an embarrassing human being he's become with his craving for petty revenge.

Meanwhile, AG Christian Porter has reminded Parliament of Bill Shorten's attendance at Huanf Xiangmo's daughter's wedding. Just for the uninitiated, Huang Xiangmo is the Chinese businessman and former ALP donor with links to the Chinese Communist Party, whose relationship with Sam Dastyari cost the latter his senate career.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 10 Apr 2019, 07:08

Bradman wrote:Name always used to be in the news during the dying years of Joh and I was only home for a couple of days at a time.  But he was all over the place in the noughties.

Dutton - the silly millionaire ex copper - was also instrumental in the Vasta clan being welcomed back into the CLP fold.

I really think the amalgamation has not been helpful for Tory politics in Qld. The moderates in the old Libs have effectively been purged. All the Banjo parties have a bad history of crazy pre-selections. Don't forget the Libs pre-selected Hanson at one stage. However the CLP now pre-selects loons as a matter of course.

People like George Christensen and Dutton for different reasons are throwbacks to the Joh era.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 10 Apr 2019, 07:13

Spudhead is our version of the Manchurian candidate. I am certain Joh, Russell Hinze and Terry Lewis would have been delighted in the Spud's elevation to PM.

Christensen's pious public offerings and authoritarianism would have found favour in the Joh era. His regular travel to Manila would never have been made public.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 10 Apr 2019, 07:21

skully wrote:When is someone gonna tell Turncoat to shut the fark up and just go away??

What an embarrassing human being he's become with his craving for petty revenge.

Meanwhile, AG Christian Porter has reminded Parliament of Bill Shorten's attendance at Huanf Xiangmo's daughter's wedding. Just for the uninitiated, Huang Xiangmo is the Chinese businessman and former ALP donor with links to the Chinese Communist Party, whose relationship with Sam Dastyari cost the latter his senate career.

If the Tories are making a quid out of this, Truffles is doing the right thing.

Christian Porter himself should be subject to an Inquiry into his behaviour in the hidden trial of the ASIS whistleblower and his lawyer. Of course Truffles himself was PM at the time and he, along with the Mad Monk, Gillard and Krudd should be subject to the same Inquiry.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 10 Apr 2019, 07:36

All this mudslinging will only turn the electorate off further. Can't help a party who desperately needs engagement.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 37 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26 ... 37  Next