Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit?

+11
JKLever
JGK
Yorkie Jill
beamer
eowyn
horace
Bradman
skully
Growler
Basil
taipan
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit? Empty So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit?

Post by taipan Wed 13 Mar 2019, 18:15

A personal call.

For:
Merlin
Angela
Demelza
JKL
Whitburn
Rob S
Rob I

Against:
Peter
Basil
Vilks
Dello
Jillie
Danny
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit? Empty Re: So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit?

Post by Basil Wed 13 Mar 2019, 18:28

I think Growler is in the pro-Brexit camp.

Beamer - Remainer?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit? Empty Re: So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit?

Post by Growler Thu 14 Mar 2019, 00:01

Yes Basil, whilst EU membership has undoubtedly been beneficial in many ways - I've always felt it was a mistake to join - and would like to see us leave. However ...

... the referendum was a mistake in both conception and implementation. The campaign was nothing less than a tissue of half-truths, wild exaggerations and downright lies on both sides, with plenty of personal smears thrown around. I don't believe any - and I do mean *any* of the major players on either side has acted with any honour whatsoever.

There were strong arguments on both sides, and neither camp made any effort to make them.

The low point for me was the murder of Jo Cox MP by a person with a documented history of long term mental illness. That was appalling - but the implication by some leading remain campaigners that he was representative of most leave voters was shameful and absolutely disgusting.

That alone has hardened many leavers attitudes - and I wouldn't pin my hopes on a different result if the plebiscite were to be run a second time. There are plenty who voted remain who accepted that they lost, and I have spoken to many who are not happy (as a matter of principle) that the - let's call them "ultra" remainers - are playing political games as part of a wrecking mission.

MP's are taking the voting public for mugs here. Virtually every one stood at the last election to deliver the referendum result. Theresa May is the only one who can honestly claim to be trying to do that. She is surrounded by a cabinet and party of snakes, rats and weasels. As for the opposition (many of whom represent leave areas) - they are, on the whole even more unsavoury creatures. I have nothing but utter contempt for them.
Growler
Growler

So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 14 Mar 2019, 03:00

Growler wrote:... the referendum was a mistake in both conception and implementation. The campaign was nothing less than a tissue of half-truths, wild exaggerations and downright lies on both sides, with plenty of personal smears thrown around. I don't believe any - and I do mean *any* of the major players on either side has acted with any honour whatsoever.

I bet our old mate, the absent whitburn (has he been banned?), marched around with placards demanding "Brexit NOW - banish the evil Musi cultists NOW!!"
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105883
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 14 Mar 2019, 06:13

Aye Growls, May has tried her best. It is difficult to believe that any other leader could have achieved more.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 07:46

I always thought remain because you can't become unpregnant. But now I think they should get out and get out properly.
May, like anyone in her position would have been, was thoroughly screwed by EU and local qunts.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 14 Mar 2019, 08:21

I feel sorry for May. She seems to have genuinely worked her arse off to get a solution only to have the fat useless H o' Commoners (including those from her own party) thumb their noses at her.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105883
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 08:27

Maybe a bit of brinkmanship from the start and a FU attitude, but that would have required a governing body not composed of invertebrates.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:24

Growler wrote:Yes Basil, whilst EU membership has undoubtedly been beneficial in many ways - I've always felt it was a mistake to join - and would like to see us leave. However ...

... the referendum was a mistake in both conception and implementation. The campaign was nothing less than a tissue of half-truths, wild exaggerations and downright lies on both sides, with plenty of personal smears thrown around. I don't believe any - and I do mean *any* of the major players on either side has acted with any honour whatsoever.

There were strong arguments on both sides, and neither camp made any effort to make them.

The low point for me was the murder of Jo Cox MP by a person with a documented history of long term mental illness. That was appalling - but the implication by some leading remain campaigners that he was representative of most leave voters was shameful and absolutely disgusting.

That alone has hardened many leavers attitudes - and I wouldn't pin my hopes on a different result if the plebiscite were to be run a second time. There are plenty who voted remain who accepted that they lost, and I have spoken to many who are not happy (as a matter of principle) that the - let's call them "ultra" remainers - are playing political games as part of a wrecking mission.

MP's are taking the voting public for mugs here. Virtually every one stood at the last election to deliver the referendum result. Theresa May is the only one who can honestly claim to be trying to do that. She is surrounded by a cabinet and party of snakes, rats and weasels. As for the opposition (many of whom represent leave areas) - they are, on the whole even more unsavoury creatures. I have nothing but utter contempt for them.

That seems a pretty fair summation of the political parties and their senior figures. I note Moggie and co are distinguishing themselves by lobbying EU members to refuse any UK request for an extension of time, thereby forcing the hard BREXIT they want.

I have been reading a bit about the implications of hard and soft BREXIT for the Republic and Nthn Ireland. It is apparent the implications were not clear at the time of the Referendum and preceding campaign.

As it turned out the North voted remain. A recent Irish Times poll done in the North found overwhelming support for Remain. Support for the DUP is in the cellar.

The border issue is not simply about trade. Health and even foster care arrangements traverse the border and have deepened since the Good Friday agreement. These arrangements work for people, North and South. It is clear people there are as worried about the loss of all these terrific gains as they are about trade and jobs. People are understandably worried about a hard and heavily policed border.

It seems the Corbster, let alone Rees-Mogg do not give a rat's about this issue. May is probably an incompetent guinea pig but she is at least trying to deal with the issue. I also think the Republic has been incredibly responsible throughout the debacle.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:54

Chance for Ireland maybe.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:07

I voted remain.

Rarely post anymore but do read and couldn't let this pass, why would anyone think I'd vote leave???

This has been the singly most divisive thing to happen to this union of countries for decades and it happened because David Cameron was afraid of UKIP splitting the Tory party. He got his referendum, diminished UKIP but divided the country, lost his job and there are major divisions in the Tories that could still spit the party. Job well done...
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:31

Bradman wrote:Chance for Ireland maybe.

Not in the short term. Lots of pain for North and the Republic.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:34

eowyn wrote:I voted remain.

Rarely post anymore but do read and couldn't let this pass, why would anyone think I'd vote leave???

This has been the singly most divisive thing to happen to this union of countries for decades and it happened because David Cameron was afraid of UKIP splitting the Tory party. He got his referendum, diminished UKIP but divided the country, lost his job and there are major divisions in the Tories that could still spit the party. Job well done...

Well it got the post count up
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:48

Nice, succinct analysis of Cameron's role.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:56

Cameron has always been the whatsit in the woodpile as I mentioned a few months ago.

I trust history will deal more kindly with May than him
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 14 Mar 2019, 15:28

Whatever happens  over the coming months and years, in 50 years time historians who are not yet born will deliver the most damning, devastating verdict on Cameron as the man who destroyed 21st century Britain single-handedly with an act of such stupidity it's barely credible.

Here is what I wrote about it last November.

The Tories were on their arse from 1992 when John Major became PM. After 13 years of Labour trying to bankrupt the country, even considering the Grinning Liar taking us into the legally dubious Gulf War II, and the 2008 financial crash, they couldn't get a majority.

UKIP started winning a few MEP and looked to be getting some traction, and Cameron shat his dacks. He promised a referendum he had no intention of keeping.

Why ?

Because he never in a million years expected to get a majority in 2015. He was convinced that he'd be in coalition with the LibDems again, and they (being the most Pro-EU party in Britain) would never pass the legislation to call the referendum - and he's off the hook.

As you were, normal service resumed.

His biggest error was to underestimate the tolerance of the Great British Public. He forgot that the LibDems first act in government was to flush the student (and students parents) vote down the gurgler. Having campaigned on a guarantee of no increase to university tuition fees, they voted for a 3-fold increase, from £3,000 to £9,000.

That lie cost them close on 50 MP's, because the public had been taken for mugs once too often. Cameron had an unforseen, and unwanted majority and was then caught out by his rash promise - he had to call it.

The campaign was disgraceful by both sides. There were genuine cases to be made by both Leave and Remain, and neither side made them. Both exaggerated and overstated their case, misrepresented the other viewpoint, and failed utterly to act in good faith.

Remain should have had a vast majority - and probably would have had they not been so dismissive of genuine concerns on issues of all kinds. Whether those concerns were justified or not, a response along the lines of

"shut up and go away, you racist/sexist/homophobic/misogynistic/xenophobic ignorant little shit-kicker"

has never in history got someone to change their view. Nothing has changed. The bile and vitriol is just as strong as it's ever been. Both sides are still exaggerating at best, outright lying at worst.

Cameron, as we now know shat his dacks again and buggered off within days - leaving everyone splattered in it, and trying to clean up. People point the finger at Farage, but the bloke was never more than a bit-part actor playing the fool.

People are aiming at Farage, Boris, Gove, JRM and the like, whilst the person who really deserves the flak carries on untouched.

I'll stand by every word of that summary.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 16:55

Well I'd do more than just stand by it. Nice expansion of like views.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 14 Mar 2019, 17:46

forgive me Bradders, p'raps i'm having a bit of a senior moment here - but i'm not quite sure of what you're saying ...
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 14 Mar 2019, 17:58

Growler wrote:forgive me Bradders, p'raps i'm having a bit of a senior moment here - but i'm not quite sure of what you're saying ...

He's saying you called it right
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 22:03

Well I was going to say it should be published but I figured people would have accused me of alcohol driven sycophancy at three in the morning.

I like brevity that
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 14 Mar 2019, 22:09

Farking new hand held.
Well written brevity that breaks down complex issues is a gift that I haven't encountered enough.

Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 15 Mar 2019, 18:21

I might be wrong but Vilks appears to have de-registered.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 15 Mar 2019, 18:49

I was on the fence when it first came on the agenda, “don’t like the EU much but getting out would be messy and costly”. By the time of the vote I realised the EU was generally a force for good, and the latter part of my statement was definitely true.

After nearly three years of watching the incompetent, self-absorbed twats in the Commons try to progress it, I think I’d sign up for joining a United States of Europe right now.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Tue 02 Apr 2019, 03:01

Remain.

What a shitshow.

That Canadian passport is looking more tempting by the day.
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

So how would previous pommie posters voted on Brexit? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 02 Apr 2019, 03:13

Grab all three while you can. Apparently WTF the result current passport holders are off limits.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next