Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England

+12
Merlin
JGK
Zat
Gary 111
beamer
PeterCS
Chivalry Augustus
furriner
The One
Basil
Lara Lara Laughs
JKLever
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England Empty Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:41 am

Great....
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/361423.html

ECB unveils new Twenty20 tournament

Cricinfo staff

July 16, 2008

The much-anticipated English Premier League will get underway in 2010, with two divisions made up of ten teams, after the ECB unveiled a radical shake-up of the domestic game following its board meeting at Lord's.

In a unanimous decision, the format that has been agreed upon will involve all 18 first-class counties, plus two overseas sides to make up the numbers. The current Pro40 competition will be scrapped to make way for the competition, and the matches will be played primarily on Friday nights in July and August.

"I am delighted that the board unanimously supported these creative proposals," said the ECB chairman, Giles Clarke. "I would like to congratulate everyone for their hard work and thank those who went to considerable time and trouble to produce documents for discussion.

"We have already received enormous broadcast and sponsor interest from around the world which was reported to the board by the chief executive David Collier."

The proposal that had been put forward by the MCC chief executive, Keith Bradshaw, and Surrey's chairman, David Stewart, for a nine-team league modelled on the Indian Premier League was rejected out of hand, although in a press release, Stewart threw his weight behind the new initiative. "These are extremely exciting and satisfying proposals for the future of domestic cricket in England and Wales," he said. "I am delighted to support them.

"They incorporate some excellent ideas and Keith Bradshaw and I were delighted to be able to submit our ideas as part of the decision making process and to build on the robust structure proposed by the ECB as a result of detailed consultations undertaken."

According to the ECB, the structure of the new league was decided upon following detailed market research in which spectators stated their desire to watch more Twenty20 cricket. Some of the funding ideas in Bradshaw and Stewart's plan were incorporated at the meeting.

The board also agreed the 2010 season would include a single 50-over competition and 16 County Championship matches in a two-division structure. "We looked at the Schofield Report, which stated that we should be playing competitions that mirror international competitions," Clarke told Sky Sports News.

"Spectators want to watch Twenty20 cricket on Friday nights, in the months of July, August and September, and the county championship in midweek. This is about giving the spectator what they want."
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England Empty Re: Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:47 am

Doesn't it have to be ICC sanctioned?

Do they mean 2 divisions with 10 in each or 2 divisions with a total of 10?

Are we talking 10 counties or 10 made up teams?

If we're talking 10 counties, which counties miss out?

If we're talking ten made up areas, how are they decided?

Will the 20/20 cup be scrapped?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England Empty Re: Oh look - the ECB have just voted in T20 overkill in England

Post by Basil Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:47 am

TBH, I'm breathing a sigh of relief - as recently as Saturday, Mark Newton briefed some of us who post on Worcs. messageboard to the effect that the three conference idea for the championship was still on the table - so, I'm glad that one got kicked int touch. As a bonus, the championship stays at 16 games.

It's not in the press release, but it looks as though each county will end up with 3 or 4 overseas players for the new 20/20 competition who will be contracted to the ECB, with at least two of them being Indian (TV rights and all that)

Last edited by Basil on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:48 am

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Doesn't it have to be ICC sanctioned?

18 counties plus two. The Daily Telegraph today talked about one side from the IPL and one sponsored by Staford also taking part.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:50 am

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Doesn't it have to be ICC sanctioned?

In effect we'll have 2 T20 comps - The EPL & the T20

The EPL is the moneymaker - with 2 divisions of 10 sides - 18 counties + 2 overseas teams
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 am

20 teams = too many matches

is it an up-down 2 divisions or more like the american conference system

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 am

Basil wrote:TBH, I'm breathing a sigh of relief - as recently as Saturday, Mark Newton briefed some of us who post on Worcs. messageboard to the effect that the three conference idea for the championship was still on the table - so, I'm glad that one got kicked int touch. As a bonus, the championship stays at 16 games.

Aye - tbh, if they had gone the 3 conference route i'd just about have given up.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 am

Ah, if it's the county sides and the Twenty/20 cup is being scrapped, I can't see a problem.

So it'll be County Championship, 50 over competition, EPL. That's fine by me.

All it is is getting rid of the strange and tired Pro40 competition to make room for more T20s.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

The One wrote:20 teams = too many matches

It'll be up and down.

So the majority of stars will be in div 1.

Of course 20 teams is too many though - we've been battling with that problem for years.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

JKLever wrote:
Basil wrote:TBH, I'm breathing a sigh of relief - as recently as Saturday, Mark Newton briefed some of us who post on Worcs. messageboard to the effect that the three conference idea for the championship was still on the table - so, I'm glad that one got kicked int touch. As a bonus, the championship stays at 16 games.

Aye - tbh, if they had gone the 3 conference route i'd just about have given up.

If MN had got his way, the C & G would have been given the boot too, and the pro40 would have been retained.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 am

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Ah, if it's the county sides and the Twenty/20 cup is being scrapped, I can't see a problem.

So it'll be County Championship, 50 over competition, EPL. That's fine by me.

All it is is getting rid of the strange and tired Pro40 competition to make room for more T20s.

No.

It's county championship, 50 overs, EPL AND T20

As I said - overkill
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 am

FFS. EPL and 20/20?! One or the other you dickheads, one or the other!! What's the f*cking point having both? If it's because of the champions league thing, surely they could give that to the winners of the EPL?

F*ck me. EPL, 20/20 cup, Stanford tournament, Champions league, IPL, International 20/20s. It's all too much. Talk about killing the goose.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 am

Trust me, it's both!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:01 am

Snigger.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:05 am

What surprises me, is that the decision was, according to the Beeb, unanimous. So are we to believe that the likes of Jim Cumbes who went into bat on behalf of the half-baked 9 side franchise plan, cheerfully fell into line, or has ther been a touch of nut twisting?
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 am

JKLever wrote:

It'll be up and down.

Of course 20 teams is too many though - we've been battling with that problem for years.

we had the same problem and it was impossible to change the ranji. the ipl gave a chance to reduce the teams. the ecb will have to tackle the problem some day

if you thought the ipl was too long...

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 am

JKLever wrote:

It'll be up and down.

You sure it won't be two equal divisions with the winner from each playing in a play-off for overall winner?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:10 am

will be interesting to see though if the player contracts are for 3 years and if it follows the ipl system of the team choosing the players and not the other way round. could lead to some stars playing in the 2nd div for all 3 years or at least 1-2

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:14 am

Is it home and away, i.e 20 games, or just 10? i hope the latter, otherwise the season will end at around about the same time as Rememberance Sunday!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 am

if its 10 teams in each div thats 45 games each and that too if its not home and away. h&a makes it 90 games in each division and a total of 180 games for the two divisions. add in the semis and finals and you are looking at 186 games in total. the 9 team idea was so much more sensible

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:23 am

The One wrote:if its 10 teams in each div thats 45 games each and that too if its not home and away. h&a makes it 90 games in each division and a total of 180 games for the two divisions. add in the semis and finals and you are looking at 186 games in total. the 9 team idea was so much more sensible

Read somewhere its 5 home games and 4 away games per side - nothing like the numbers you've thought of.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:25 am

so 45 games in each division. total of 90 plus semis and finals (if there are any). 90-96 games in total

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 am

just as comparison the ipl had a total of 59 games

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:29 am

The One wrote:just as comparison the ipl had a total of 59 games

Sure - I think 10 games will take place on 1 day though - not sure what the IPL did if i'm honest...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:32 am

10 matches a day? hmm. max 2 a day, at different time slots so that all matches can be seen in the ipl

how long is the epl supposed to run?

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next