Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Anderson return for Manchester?

+7
Growler
beamer
lardbucket
Basil
skully
Nath
Ronnie Sawyer
11 posters

Go down

Should Anderson return for Manchester? Empty Should Anderson return for Manchester?

Post by Ronnie Sawyer Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:09 pm

One wicket from 20 overs against Durham's second 11?
Doesn't sound ready to face Smith and co to me.

Ronnie Sawyer

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2019-06-12
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Should Anderson return for Manchester? Empty Re: Should Anderson return for Manchester?

Post by Nath Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 pm

yes, as long as he breaks down again
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 12117
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Should Anderson return for Manchester? Empty Re: Should Anderson return for Manchester?

Post by skully Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:20 pm

Doesn't this belong in the 4th Test thread?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106401
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Why on earth are we even considering picking a bowler with 575 test wickets and 30 first class wickets this season at a tad over 9 per wicket?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15994
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:45 pm

I don't know, I think we should see how he goes in a T20 first.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38454

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:27 am

He’s definitely part of our best XI, though I would worry about him breaking down again and leaving us a bowler short... he’s 37, been injured twice this season, and without a lot of recent bowling behind him. But I guess it’s a gamble we have to take.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 am

beamer wrote:He’s definitely part of our best XI, though I would worry about him breaking down again and leaving us a bowler short... he’s 37, been injured twice this season, and without a lot of recent bowling behind him. But I guess it’s a gamble we have to take.

Well it'll make a change beams, and add some balance to the team.

After all, we've played the last dozen or more tests with between one and four batsmen short ....
Growler
Growler

Should Anderson return for Manchester? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-14
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 am

Growler wrote:
beamer wrote:He’s definitely part of our best XI, though I would worry about him breaking down again and leaving us a bowler short... he’s 37, been injured twice this season, and without a lot of recent bowling behind him. But I guess it’s a gamble we have to take.

After all, we've played the last dozen or more tests with between one and four batsmen short ....
We could play Curran (or retain Woakes) instead of Roy as extra insurance for Jimmy’s fitness, given they would get more runs anyway.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:59 am

Quite.

It's an interesting question, from Ronnie even.

It may seem obvious to rush Jim back into the fray. And average figures in a Second XI are neither here nor there. It's a fitness test.

But:

Only one Second XI match, is more the point.

And after the fiasco in the First Test, fitness must be proved, not hoped-for, precarious.

The other dimension is that IIRC - strangely - Anderson's "home ground" is not one of his happiest Test arenas.

Nevertheless, PROVIDED properly tested and proved (genuinely, certainly) fit this time, it's hard to argue against his inclusion.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:06 am

And can we afford to be cautious when there’s a series to win? Hopefully he passes the test and is potentially in line for a glorious finale at the Oval (though NZ, SA and 600 may yet tempt him on).

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:21 am

beamer wrote:
Growler wrote:

We could play Curran (or retain Woakes) instead of Roy as extra insurance for Jimmy’s fitness, given they would get more runs anyway.
Isn't Woakes nursing a knee injury? Not only that, this batch if Readers is not swinging as much as last year's, so you would have to think that Curran would be easy prey for the Aussie batsmen.

Seeing it's Old Trafford, 2 spinners anyone?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15994

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Well, Moeen smashed a few in a T20 last week, so will probably be recalled anyway.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 pm

skully wrote:Doesn't this belong in the 4th Test thread?

Well, yes and no.

It's a time-dishonoured tradition on Bails to pick out a specific subtopic for discussion on another thread.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:27 pm

To each their own.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:18 pm

He’s crocked, apparently.

I wonder if Edgbaston might remain as his last hurrah.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38454

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:22 pm

May just be the case.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm

So it appears that Jimmy has done his calf again. Think he has played his last Ashes test.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17098
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dello Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:38 pm

On reflection, having held off opinion until all the facts were in, I think he shouldn't return for Manchester.

Dello

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2017-02-28
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:36 am

Well, better it happens now than during the match I suppose.

If this is the end of the road, then thanks, Jimmy... one of the greats of English cricket by any measure. Shame he didn’t get a 150th Test in front of a home crowd.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:34 am

For City maybe
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:41 am

United are more in need... they’ve just let a veteran member of their strike force go.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down