Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corona Virus

+15
WideWally
Lost Wombat
Growler
tricycle
Blackadder
Big Dog
Bradman
lardbucket
embee
PeterCS
Basil
horace
Red
Nath
JGK
19 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Corona Virus - Page 3 Empty Re: Corona Virus

Post by lardbucket Thu 12 Mar 2020, 10:40

Big Dog wrote:Tom Hanks & his Mrs have contracted it on the Gold Coast.

"Life is like a box of chocolates ... you never know what you're going to get".

"You're going to get COVID-19".

Wonder how many hands he's shaken and autographs he's provided.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38086
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 12 Mar 2020, 11:34

horace wrote:Interesting Pete mentioned Malthus. I suspect my views on population growth are Malthusian.

There are far too many humans than is healthy for the species or the planet. I think many folk share the view but it is the elephant in the room, it is rarely talked about.

Population control measures are considered abhorrent. There remains disdain for China's one child policy and  few  complain how the USA limits foreign aid to countries with abortion rights.

In most advanced capitalist economies fertility control has been commodified as a debate between personal choice (women's right to choose) v religions.

There is no debate here about the rights of people to breed or to have as many kids as they wish.  There should be.

Fifteen years ago, through a partner i met a very nice woman who was 41 at the time. She had no kids but was now pregnant. She went off and had all the tests to check the status of the foetus, saying she would have a termination if there were problems.

Saw her a few months after the tests and she was in full prepping for parenthood mode. It transpired the Tests had shown there were considerable abnormalities and she had decided against termination. Here rationale was chilling:
* she had a right to be a parent
* her child had a right to happy life and would be loved
* besides community and government would take financial care for the child.

For thirty+ years I have had intermittent contact with disability issues and public policy debates. I have watched public policy move from denial of the sexuality of people with cognitive disability (with sterilisations on the quiet in institutions) to recognition of sexuality but also rights to procreate.

The roulette wheel of genetic structure increases probability that problems will be passed on. It is sort of a reversal of chucking the baby out with the bathwater.

At a bit after 5.30am I am waiting for the coffee to kick in. I worry my views owe to early 20thC eugenics and dystopian imagination.

Et tu, Horatie?

I think I did say "worse than Malthus", in fact. (Or was that somewhere else?) - - I'm not aware Malthus saluted at any particular pandemic sweeping around & passing his muster.

But I didn't expect the Spanish Flu ... or to see you hanging (albeit non-commitally, ditheringly) around the big Frankie Galton tent.

I'd have thought of you as more as a Baron de Montesquieu man - with bits of Tom Paine, Robespierre, the two Marquis (de Condorcet & de Sade) & Lautréamont thrown in at the sides.

Or, in a grumpy, browned-off, withdrawn philosophical mood, perhaps Flaming Bails' answer to Montaigne. There seems quite a Venn diagram overlap in terms of general outlook, at least:

Corona Virus - Page 3 Montai10
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 12 Mar 2020, 11:57

horace wrote:Interesting Pete mentioned Malthus. I suspect my views on population growth are Malthusian.

There are far too many humans than is healthy for the species or the planet. I think many folk share the view but it is the elephant in the room, it is rarely talked about.

Population control measures are considered abhorrent. There remains disdain for China's one child policy and  few  complain how the USA limits foreign aid to countries with abortion rights.

In most advanced capitalist economies fertility control has been commodified as a debate between personal choice (women's right to choose) v religions.

There is no debate here about the rights of people to breed or to have as many kids as they wish.  There should be.

Fifteen years ago, through a partner i met a very nice woman who was 41 at the time. She had no kids but was now pregnant. She went off and had all the tests to check the status of the foetus, saying she would have a termination if there were problems.

Saw her a few months after the tests and she was in full prepping for parenthood mode. It transpired the Tests had shown there were considerable abnormalities and she had decided against termination. Here rationale was chilling:

For thirty+ years I have had intermittent contact with disability issues and public policy debates. I have watched public policy move from denial of the sexuality of people with cognitive disability (with sterilisations on the quiet in institutions) to recognition of sexuality but also rights to procreate.

The roulette wheel of genetic structure increases probability that problems will be passed on. It is sort of a reversal of chucking the baby out with the bathwater.

At a bit after 5.30am I am waiting for the coffee to kick in. I worry my views owe to early 20thC eugenics and dystopian imagination.

Agree with you, too little focus on population control.

It always becomes an economic argument rather than the sustainability of the planet.

We could start by removing payments to families. If you want a child, pay for it.

Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 12 Mar 2020, 20:15

Red wrote:We could start by removing payments to families. If you want a child, pay for it.

Incentives for infertility, penalties for big families? Doesn't sound very Red ...

The ALP vote plummets, and stocks in orphanages are rising ...

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Thu 12 Mar 2020, 22:05

Jim Wilson
@JimWilsonTV
Standing by @CricketAus
announcement that no crowds for One Dayers today and Sunday @scg
@7NewsSydney
#coronavirus

Blackadder

Corona Virus - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 12 Mar 2020, 23:16

Grand Prix belatedly cancelled - Govt had already directed there could not be a crowd. The F1 Organisers make the ICC look competent.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 12 Mar 2020, 23:21

uurrkkhh... booked me and the fave ex Mrs B52 into a Patti Smith concert in late April. That will prolly be cancelled.

Arsenal coach has tested positive. Looks like EPL will go into recess.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 13 Mar 2020, 00:00

Blackadder wrote:Jim Wilson
@JimWilsonTV
Standing by @CricketAus
@7NewsSydney
#coronavirus

hard to tell if that is corona virus or CGAFAJAMODI
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26203
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 13 Mar 2020, 01:29

embee wrote:
@JimWilsonTV
Standing by @CricketAus
@7NewsSydney
#coronavirus

lol
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 13 Mar 2020, 01:30

embee wrote:
@JimWilsonTV
Standing by @CricketAus
@7NewsSydney
#coronavirus

lol
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 13 Mar 2020, 04:58

PeterCS wrote:

Et tu, Horatie?

I think I did say "worse than Malthus", in fact. (Or was that somewhere else?) - - I'm not aware Malthus saluted at any particular pandemic sweeping around & passing his muster.

But I didn't expect the Spanish Flu ... or to see you hanging (albeit non-commitally, ditheringly) around the big Frankie Galton tent.

I'd have thought of you as more as a Baron de Montesquieu man - with bits of Tom Paine, Robespierre, the two Marquis (de Condorcet & de Sade) & Lautréamont thrown in at the sides.

Or, in a grumpy, browned-off, withdrawn philosophical mood, perhaps Flaming Bails' answer to Montaigne. There seems quite a Venn diagram overlap in terms of general outlook, at least:

Corona Virus - Page 3 Montai10

WTF did Paine come from when talking about horrie?

Sorry brain snap, I meant Robespierre.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 13 Mar 2020, 05:55

embee wrote:
@JimWilsonTV
Standing by @CricketAus
@7NewsSydney
#coronavirus

From what I understand, they had only sold about 5000 tickets so they weren't giving up much today. Would have had a bigger crowd on Sunday mind you.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 13 Mar 2020, 05:58

Weirdest day in history on the Aust market - market was down over 7% again (would have been the third time this week) but then totally flipped and ended up over 4%!

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 13 Mar 2020, 07:51

Was that on the news that Dutton had CV?

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 13 Mar 2020, 10:11

BTim.radman wrote:

WTF did Paine come from when talking about horrie?

Sorry brain snap, I meant Robespierre.

Tom, not Tim.

There's nobody on this whole world wide web forum to match Horrie's sea-green incorruptibility.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 13 Mar 2020, 10:13

JGK wrote:Weirdest day in history on the Aust market - market was down over 7% again (would have been the third time this week) but then totally flipped and ended up over 4%!

First law and Rule 101 of all financial & economic speculation: pounce like a sparrowhawk at the right moment. Hit 'em high, hit 'em low.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Fri 13 Mar 2020, 14:44

JGK wrote:Weirdest day in history on the Aust market - market was down over 7% again (would have been the third time this week) but then totally flipped and ended up over 4%!

Same with India. 10% down.... trading was suspended. Then 4% up at close.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Mar 2020, 00:29

Ferkin panic is more infectious then Covid-19.

Still no bog roll in the local Aldi. The pensioners and others queued up this morning and cleared every last square in under 10 mins. Dolts.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105922

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Sat 14 Mar 2020, 01:05

I'd venture that anyone needing 144 bog rolls for a two week quarantine should probably have seen their doctor several weeks ago skulls, wouldn't you agree?
Growler
Growler

Corona Virus - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 14 Mar 2020, 01:57

Maybe they use them as ID?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Mar 2020, 02:14

Growler wrote:I'd venture that anyone needing 144 bog rolls for a two week quarantine should probably have seen their doctor several weeks ago skulls, wouldn't you agree?

Perzackerly, Growls.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105922

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 15 Mar 2020, 01:11

This ol' Crony Virus can't be as bad as it's been cracked up to be.

I mean, as long as elite sport carries on pretty much untroubled worldwide, you can be sure that ...

Oh.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 15 Mar 2020, 01:17

Wait, wait ...

Dhaka Premier Division, 6th Match, at Cox's Bazar, Mar 16 2020

Mohammedan Sporting Club
vs
Shinepukur Cricket Club

seems to be going ahead as planned, barring further notice.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 15 Mar 2020, 01:21

skully wrote:Ferkin panic is more infectious then Covid-19.

Still no bog roll in the local Aldi. The pensioners and others queued up this morning and cleared every last square in under 10 mins. Dolts.

Well one can't get them here either. People find ways of cheating on the one packet limit by having different family members queue separately and then meet in the car-park to display their wares.

Loo paper is manufactured in oz and if everyone just kept buying normally there would be no need to panic.

Went to many supermarkets yesterday and the loo rolls shelves denuded in all.

Pasta sauce all gone too. Ditto pasta, rice most types of biscuits, much of the canned food staples, eggs etc.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sun 15 Mar 2020, 01:38

went to Woolworths this morning, and 99% of all the frozen veggies/chips cleared out
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11966
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next