Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

5 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 03:47

PeterCS wrote:8.) Who the hell is practising for the series here - with that strange right-leg kick?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 06_q0811
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105888
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 03:52

PeterCS wrote:7) Oh, NO - not again?!?! ...

a) What the hell's happening here?
b) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 05_q0710

c) What are the guys in the last of the pics below doing with their precious time?

(Bonus points for any successful player IDs ... remember: you check back to Q1 if it helps!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 06_q0710
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 03:57

PeterCS wrote:9)

a) Who are these two guys?
b) What's the occasion?
c) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 07_q0910

CLUE ...:
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 04:26

PeterCS wrote:10)

a) Who's this dashing young Test debutant?
b) How old was he at the time of his 1st Test?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 09_q1011
Spoiler:

skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 04:46

PeterCS wrote:
skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:2) An eccentric early twist to this quiz ...
(if you prefer the more conventional questions, just move on to Q3) etc.!)

a) Locate in the photos above, & name:

One colonel, & two cricket-unrelated captains!

b) Can you name "A back4"? (= the gent not decked out in cricket togs!)

(Bonus point?Smile

c) Can you name who 3 months later became b)'s exact counterpart in the opposing team? (He's not pictured!)
Spoiler:

Response to Skully's A2):

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 05:10

PeterCS wrote:11) Three significant moments here, in three successive Tests.

a) What's the (two-part) common factor? (one part of the common factor is very visible, the other not)
b) Can you name the three unhappy batsmen? (NB: apologies for picture quality - use visual clues!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 10_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 11_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 12_q1110
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 05:16

PeterCS wrote:12)

a) What's going on here?
b) Who are the two players in the centre of the action?
c) What relation was the cartoonist to the bowler?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 13_q1211
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 05:28

PeterCS wrote:13) In the 2nd Test of the series:

a) Who's the batsman living up to his nickname here?
b) Which normally safe pair of hands is in this instance the "oaf" at 3rd slip?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 14_q1311
Spoiler:

Last edited by skully on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 06:00; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 05:32

PeterCS wrote:14)

a) Name these two coming out to bat, after lunch on Day 2 of the same Test.
b) Why do they look so pleased? (Be as exact as you can!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 15_q1411
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 05:39

PeterCS wrote:15) Third Test. "And ... GOT 'IM! - NO!! ANOTHER SITTER GOES DOWN at 3rd slip!"

a) What Oval favourite is muffing this snick, off a leading all-rounder?
b) How did that spill prove particularly significant?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 16_q1510
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 07:15

PeterCS wrote:19)

a) Who's the dynamic slip catcher adroitly snapping up these two in the 5th Test?

b) Three bonus points for identifying the two batsmen (note: compare their respective statures!), and the keeper.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 20_q1910
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 07:46

PeterCS wrote:16) Two Tests after Q1, and if you look, "Team B" (Q1) has changed two of its players.

a) Locate (use same team photo ref. system? - e.g. "Back5", "Front2") and name those two new men?
b) Can you name the two men (from Q1) they replaced?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 17_q1610
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 07:50

PeterCS wrote:17) Only ONE member of "Team B"'s total 16 selections in this series - either to play or be 12th man - took no part in the return series immediately following it.

a) Can you name the unlucky man?
b) What was his (main) profession?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 18_q1710
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:09

PeterCS wrote:18) Here is the XII chosen from "Squad A" of Q1 to play a regional match at the very end of the tour.

a) Location (city) where the photo was taken?
b) What dubious Test distinction do the team members located at "back1" & "front2" share?
c) How did the player at "back2" just pip them both, in that same respect?

Bonus:
d) What did all three of the above have in common with "front1"?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 19_q1810
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:12

PeterCS wrote:20) How many (Test) debutants did the home side field in the 1st Test of this series?

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:22

PeterCS wrote:21) Who took the most wickets in the series:

a) for the home side?
b) for the visitors?

Bonus point each for the total number of wickets each of these bowlers took.
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:23

PeterCS wrote:22) What was unprecedented about the outcome of the series?

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:29

PeterCS wrote:Supplementary set of questions (if anyone is still game):

S1) By virtually universal consensus of the cricket journalists of the day (among them Clem Hill & Charlie Turner), this was the unluckiest bowler of the series.

Can you name him?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 B01_q010
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:33

PeterCS wrote:S2) The home team's leading wicket taker in the series played in the 2nd Test.

But did not bowl a single delivery.

Why not?

(There's one answer that by now may be obvious! But there's also a deeper reason.)
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:41

PeterCS wrote:S3) Still outstanding at the time of the series, and to this day regarded as one of his country's best ever, this batsman (the picture is from a few years earlier) played only in the 1st and 5th Tests of the series.

Why? (He wasn't injured - or considered too old.)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 B02_q010
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 22 Apr 2020, 09:13

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:22) What was unprecedented about the outcome of the series?

Spoiler:

Good times.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 09:27

Having a break for dinner but thanks to Peter, I have learned a hell of a lot about the 1920-21 series. Without any of the reference books Peter used, it's been a long day of Googling and reading between the lines on Test scorecards!!!

I'm not sure I have them all correct (probably not) and there are a few gaps to fill. I'll soldier on after dinner. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 09:59

PeterCS wrote:S4) Who are these apparently proud owners of a private motorised vehicle?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 B03_q010
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:11

PeterCS wrote:S5)

a) Who's this cat batting (until he was caught) in a cool hat? (4th Test)
b) Who's taking the blinding catch? (btw: Not the giant celebrating that acrobatic feat on his back!)
c) And the bowler?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 B04_q010
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:19

PeterCS wrote:S6) So reader, how well have you been taking note?

a) Who, for once, is shelling this (admittedly not easy) chance at slip?
b) Who's the imposing veteran with the bat, getting off lightly?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 3 B05_q010

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next