Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

5 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:25

PeterCS wrote:S7) Who was appointed captain of the defeated team for the return series?

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105888
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:29

PeterCS wrote:S8)

a) Who's this cheeky chap relaxing on the ship en route to the return series?

Oh, and:

b) What's the name of the ship?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 B07_q010

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:33

PeterCS wrote:S9) The victorious team in this series would award two new Test caps in the return series (played very soon after it - this team pic is from that series).

Can you locate those two debutants in the picture, and name them?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 B08_q010

Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:50

PeterCS wrote:S10) Again: by this stage (if you didn't know them already ...), you should be familiar with some of the names and faces.

a) How many of these hopeful but already jaded-looking travellers can you name?
b) Between which cities is the train (seen in the background) stopping off for a break ... & a photo?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 B09_q110
Spoiler:
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 22 Apr 2020, 13:18

Great pic quiz Peter but it looks like skully has cleaned up

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 13:39

Done an excellent job. But not quite cleaned up!

I'm busy today unfortunately, and rather than just give feedback on one or two questions - frustrating for setter and answerer - I'll have a longer go at it tomorrow with any luck.

Please feel free, anyone else, to try the questions. Skully has answered quite large bits of the quiz correctly, but there are gaps and a few errors. So, pit your wits.

I'd like then to post up a whole (extra/new) thread with answers. Why? Neater than piecemeal and unsystematic bits-and-pieces back-and-forth "responses to responses" here ...

But also: I have lots more pics, and some more info. And then finally there's a bit point of discussion I'd like to raise at the end of it.

So I'll ask Skulls to possess his soul in patience and hold his horses, cool his jets or whatever it is, I'll get back to you and the quiz/answers "in dew coarse" ...
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 14:19

Thanks Peter. Great quiz. It got me in and I couldn't let go. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:26

Right then ...

What I'll do is put up some sparse answers (where Skully got it right) or comments, maybe clues (where not) ... then at the end of that, make a list of the "gaps" that still exist (unanswered questions or incorrect answers so far), in case Skully or - hey - anyone else would like another/a crack at it.

Because there's life in this old quiz yet. Far from "cleaned up" - there's quite a lot of "dirt" still lying around.

In the next few days I'll then make a separate thread, with a complete unbroken, systematic list of answers with fuller info, some extra images - and as I threatened/promised, a point of discussion at the end.

"But why bother?" you might ask. "Quiz has been done, dusted, what's left to say?"

Well:

a) Skully & I can't be the only ones that find this stuff not completely lacking in interest. As I said previously, "bringing the dead to life", in a sense. (If you see what I mean, that's not a ghoulish thought. Bringing human appearances, visual shape & form, to what might otherwise be dead data, left forgotten in obscure tables.)

And:

b) Come on! Because Skully's had a thorough go at it, doesn't mean there's nowt left to see here, to consider & mull over, galvanise the brain in a couple of different areas, even (Lord help us) find out a bit of this and that about the past, about aspects of the history of cricket - and maybe, in places, aspects of society, societies. The SPOILERS are there for a reason, after all, not just for fancy ornament. The tablecloth I offer you may be dowdy, but there's a fair bit of stuff on the table. And not just cutlery.

Have a go. See how you get on. No need to write anything on here, if you prefer not. But have a look & think, pit your wits. Cheaper than buying stuff on Amazon or wherever.

But, if you're snoozing already ... I take your point. Why (do I) bother indeed! Very Happy

Why bother ... with anything, except beer and procreation? Wink
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:40

Picking up with the bare-bones feedback/answers. (Feedback on Skully's answers to QQ 1 & 2 can be found above, on page2) ...

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:3) Can you:

a) locate & name the two oldest players in Squad A?
b) (ditto), in Team B?

(You can obviously websearch for exact answers, or guesstimate on the basis of knowledge and/or appearance.)
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q3):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 13:03

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:4)

a) How many in Squad A were less than 30 years old at the beginning of the series?
b) (ditto), of Team B?
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q4):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 13:27

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:5) What did these two chaps have to do with the series in question?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 03_q0510
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q5):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 13:45

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:6) The whole undertaking began ominously for Squad A.

a) Name this ship?

b) Can you point out at least one thing that went wrong for Squad A in connection with a)?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 04_q0610

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q6):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 23 Apr 2020, 13:54

Sorry Pete.  I picked the original photo almost instantly helped by your repeated references to a " return tour".  Started to reread the chapters in the book I mentioned previously on the two tours, content that anyone else interested would be scrambling.  Settled in and skulls was in the process of laying it bare.  Any clarification of where we're at would be appreciated
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:03

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:7) Oh, NO - not again?!?! ...

a) What the hell's happening here?
b) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 05_q0710

c) What are the guys in the last of the pics below doing with their precious time?

(Bonus points for any successful player IDs ... remember: you check back to Q1 if it helps!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 06_q0710
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q7):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:17

Bradman wrote:Sorry Pete.  I picked the original photo almost instantly helped by your repeated references to a " return tour".  Started to reread the chapters in the book I mentioned previously on the two tours, content that anyone else interested would be scrambling.  Settled in and skulls was in the process of laying it bare.  Any clarification of where we're at would be appreciated

As explained above, Bradders

- see the heavily italicised and much-bolded post above, before I started to pick up from where I'd left off the other day (I'd already dealt with QQ1 & 2), by giving (22 + 10) SPOILERED Feedbacks to Skully's answers -

What I decided I had best do in the circs (since Skully had attempted the lot and nobody else had had a go) was:

> > Continue (always under SPOILERS) an in-sequence set of Feedbacks to Skully's answers. (That's what I've paused here, to give you this stopgap reply!)

> > Then, at the end of that full series of feedbacks, to give a full update, listing which questions still needed partial or complete correct answers.

(And later, when the dust has settled, then to set up an intact thread of fuller, more illustrated answers, for any interested, FWIW!)

If you can possess your soul in patience and wait till I've got the the end of these 22 + 10 specific-answer feedbacks, I can then give you a full update of what is still not correctly answered, or answered at all.

I hope that clarifies "where we are"!

(It's a pity in retrospect I was not able to set the whole quiz in some sort of aspic or amber, so it could be complete and intact, before anyone could lay into it. This is not a criticism of Skully, just lamenting the rather disjointed bits-and-pieces way it's gone, which I'm trying to mend as best I can with this procedure. But this is the Bails, after all. Ramshackle is its middle name..)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:26

Hey no problem with the process of the triv, well done.  Skulls was hopping all over the place but it should be relatively simple to follow up on unanswered/incorrect stuff one by one.

Starting with the photos and clues might hav been a mistake but as some of the questions are pretty deep, not a biggie.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:28

Oh and does anyone know where the spoiler symbol is on a Nokia 2.2?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:28

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:8.) Who the hell is practising for the series here - with that strange right-leg kick?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 06_q0811
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q8):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:34

>>>

b) TyphUS rather than typhOID, I believe. (If there are any doctors in the house, they may confirm that this is the potentially lethal insect-borne affliction (ticks or fleas), not the potentially fatal food poisoning.

<<<

TYPHUS: A nasty rickettsial illness, mortality up to 40-50% in epidemics, transmitted mostly by human body lice not fleas, common in trenches, POW and refugee camps, wars generally, and in overcrowded ships. The infected lice crap on you and you rub the infected crap into your skin to get infected when you scratch ...

TYPHOID: Occasionally (!) transmitted by super-spreaders called Mary, this is a a bacterial illness (Salmonella typhi) transmitted via the delightful faecal-oral route, which can cause a lethal diarrhoea or be less impressive, as it was in Mary, who was almost asymptomatic, but probably passed her disease to dozens, maybe hundreds. The organism can sometimes be sequestered in the gall bladder of an asymptomatic person for years, emerging periodically to be transmitted to new unsuspecting recipients of that faecal-oral route. This is therefore the disease above all others, perhaps, that makes you hope the chef has washed his hands after his latest trip to the loo.

<<<

(not my area of interest, but that will do as a potted version ... aren't infections terrifying when you get up close?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:42

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:9)

a) Who are these two guys?
b) What's the occasion?
c) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 07_q0910

CLUE ...:
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q9):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:46

lardbucket wrote:>>>

b) TyphUS rather than typhOID, I believe. (If there are any doctors in the house, they may confirm that this is the potentially lethal insect-borne affliction (ticks or fleas), not the potentially fatal food poisoning.

<<<

TYPHUS: A nasty rickettsial illness, mortality up to 40-50% in epidemics, transmitted mostly by human body lice not fleas, common in trenches, POW and refugee camps, wars generally, and in overcrowded ships. The infected lice crap on you and you rub the infected crap into your skin to get infected when you scratch ...

TYPHOID: Occasionally (!) transmitted by super-spreaders called Mary, this is a a bacterial illness (Salmonella typhi) transmitted via the delightful faecal-oral route, which can cause a lethal diarrhoea or be less impressive, as it was in Mary, who was almost asymptomatic, but probably passed her disease to dozens, maybe hundreds. The organism can sometimes be sequestered in the gall bladder of an asymptomatic person for years, emerging periodically to be transmitted to new unsuspecting recipients of that faecal-oral route. This is therefore the disease above all others, perhaps, that makes you hope the chef has washed his hands after his latest trip to the loo.

<<<

(not my area of interest, but that will do as a potted version ... aren't infections terrifying when you get up close?)

Combined LOL!, UGH!! and EWWW!, and INDEED.

Also, thanks for the clarification, Your Lardship.

And/but why is so much stuff I've been posting on here lately epidemic-or-similar-related?? We "had" the Spanish flu on the Trivia thread, now this bunch of lovelies.

Plague is everywhere.

Bring out your answers!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 14:54

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:10)

a) Who's this dashing young Test debutant?
b) How old was he at the time of his 1st Test?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 09_q1011
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q10):

Last edited by PeterCS on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:05; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:03

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:
skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:2) An eccentric early twist to this quiz ...
(if you prefer the more conventional questions, just move on to Q3) etc.!)

a) Locate in the photos above, & name:

One colonel, & two cricket-unrelated captains!

b) Can you name "A back4"? (= the gent not decked out in cricket togs!)

(Bonus point?Smile

c) Can you name who 3 months later became b)'s exact counterpart in the opposing team? (He's not pictured!)
Spoiler:

Response to Skully's A2):

Spoiler:

Second Feedback on Skully's second answer to Q2, part a):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:24

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:11) Three significant moments here, in three successive Tests.

a) What's the (two-part) common factor? (one part of the common factor is very visible, the other not)
b) Can you name the three unhappy batsmen? (NB: apologies for picture quality - use visual clues!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 10_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 11_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 12_q1110
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q11):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:42

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:12)

a) What's going on here?
b) Who are the two players in the centre of the action?
c) What relation was the cartoonist to the bowler?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 4 13_q1211
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q12):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next