Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dravid resigns as India captain

+16
Josh Carney
tac
filosofee
Batman
JayPatel
Ash
Gary 111
please don't yell
LeFromage
The One
*Buckaroo*
HH_pink
Henry
doremi
SG
Henry Nolonga
20 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 5 Empty Re: Dravid resigns as India captain

Post by The One Mon 17 Sep 2007, 14:26

well he wanted to quit after the world cup according to most indications. only thing he didnt want to quit as a loser so this england series provided a perfect opportunity

with him so closely tied into the 'chappel way' it was only a matter of time. after the world cup it seems a lot of his power would have been taken away anyways

they need either sachin or sourav till the end of the aus tour and should identify the successor right NOW and that should be told to everyone involved

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 5 Empty Re: Dravid resigns as India captain

Post by doremi Mon 17 Sep 2007, 18:53

Saw the NDTV special program today. Sidhu was attention grabbing as always but extremely funny.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 17 Sep 2007, 19:03

The One wrote:no point just harping on the same point. if all these people very knowledgeable people keep picking him there must be a reason. see the respective records of the other indian pacers. maybe you'll get your answer

this may have been true in the late 90s/early 2000s but right now i can think of at least 6 pace bowlers who should be ahead of agarkar. the guy makes srinath look like the steve waugh of bowlers in terms of mental toughness. his continued presence in the side is a complete and utter joke
Ash
Ash

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 5 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aathma Mon 17 Sep 2007, 21:28

It's pretty obvious why Dravid gave up the captaincy, because he had simply had enough. To me it seemed as if as long as Dravid was captain he wanted to better Indian cricket.

He saw Chappel's way as the correct way and wanted to go ahead with that but I don't think all or some of the other players thought process was the same. And the ongoing Ganguly saga was embarrassing and definetly didn't help.

Then there was Dravid's form with the bat which had dramatically declined and with Dravid entering the final years of his career his batting is more important.

Also without a coach the burden on him is even greater as if captaining India isn't too great already. I don't know what the cricket manager does but having Ravi Shastri around was an excellent idea but Borde isn't upto answering questions from the media.

And finally there is the Indian media which the majority are complete idiots. At press conferences he would be asked ridiculous questions and you could see from his reactions that he probrably wanted to hurl abuse at the one that asked the question. You just had to watch NDTV's(which is far more sedate than Star News) coverage of his resignation, which was covered the same as 9/11. Conspiracies coming from left and right, the media and public outside Dravid's talking to Dravid's father to get answers. It seemed as if he had commited mass murder and not resigned as captain of a cricket team. Why not just respect his decision and wait for him to give his reasoning to why he resigned.

I have limitless respect for Dravid and am glad that he has resigned as captain. And hope that he regains his form with the bat.

And with Dravid sill in the team he can help and pass on advice to the next captain.
Aathma
Aathma

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Mon 17 Sep 2007, 22:45

Regional agendas, hero worshipping, unprofessional administration, old boys network, outdated cricketers limping on one leg. lots of money, senior mafias --- Nothing new, Simply Business as usual in Indian Cricket.

ICL must be watching this drama unfold with uncontrollable glee.

Until a fundamental paradigm shift take place with the administration and the fan mind sets, where most of it is currently driven by hero worshipping or regional agendas, I am afraid that these dramas will get enacted in Indian Cricket over and over. The band aid victories we stitch up will no longer be good enough to cover up this mess.

People are getting used to choice. ICL is crystallising. The Soccer, Hockey and Tennis scenes are going through a sort of revival with sponsor backing. F1 racing will be on in 2010, so will be the Commonwealth games. Indian Cricket better watch out, sponsors and fans have other options out there. Reform and survive or perish through a slow death.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:01

ffs josh change the record Sleep
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:09

Ash wrote:ffs josh change the record Sleep
Would love to Ash, but if things don't change not sure what else I can do. I had stopped posting my "typical posts" for quite a while and only did so after this Dravid fiasco.

More than ever I feel that Indian Cricket (BCCI) in particular is at a cross roads now. NO question in mind on that. They can choose to reform and survive or become irrelavant in due course.

Leaving the administration and politics aside, from a team perspective I want to see some gutsy calls with the future in mind and not be hamstrung by narrow petty agendas. I am still hopeful things will change Ash being the eternal optimist.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:11

Dinesh Mongia vs Sachin Tendulkar. Yeah, they must be delirious with joy.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:14

doremi wrote:

Dinesh Mongia vs Sachin Tendulkar. Yeah, they must be delirious with joy.
Does losing the plot mean anything to you ?

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:22

There must be a plot to begin with. Why should they be happy that Dravid gave up the captaincy?
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:24

Josh Carney wrote:
Would love to Ash, but if things don't change not sure what else I can do. I had stopped posting my "typical posts" for quite a while and only did so after this Dravid fiasco.

what fiasco, he obviously culdnt hack the pressure so he quit. if sachin gets the role its not cos iof a senior mumbai mafia, its because theres no other alternatives. it would be a stop gap. you probably want kaif as captain but honestly mate, hes not good enough to be in the side atm.

btw, according to cricinfo dhoni will be odi captain and probably sachin (if he accepts) as test skipper for the time being
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:25

What are you looking for, an FBI investigation to expose the regional agendas of Indian Cricket.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:28

Ash wrote:
Josh Carney wrote:

what fiasco, he obviously culdnt hack the pressure so he quit. if sachin gets the role its not cos iof a senior mumbai mafia, its because theres no other alternatives. it would be a stop gap. you probably want kaif as captain but honestly mate, hes not good enough to be in the side atm.

btw, according to cricinfo dhoni will be odi captain and probably sachin (if he accepts) as test skipper for the time being
Mate there is lot more to this which will surface in the near future. And yes Kaif would be my choice.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:30

Josh Carney wrote:What are you looking for, an FBI investigation to expose the regional agendas of Indian Cricket.

presumably by regional agendas you mean the mumbai lobby. afaik theres only 2 mumbai players in the team right now, and only 1 in the 20-20 XI. rohit sharma cant get a game despite the alleged mumbai lobby influence

past captains: dravid, bangalore. azhar, hyderabad. ganguly, kolkata. just cant see the evidence
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:31

Josh Carney wrote: Mate there is lot more to this which will surface in the near future. And yes Kaif would be my choice.

maybe but it doesnt take a genius to see dravid was struggling with the pressure. his interaction with the media and his batting form both point to that. it was coming
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:32

I'd have made Dhoni captain of both. Might as well blood him now when he's got Dravid, SRT, Ganguly, Kumble, etc., backing him, instead of 1 and 1/2 or 2 years later when a couple of them will retire.

Problem with the SRT situation is, I don't think swapping Dravid and Tendulkar would make any difference.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:35

doremi wrote:

I'd have made Dhoni captain of both. Might as well blood him now when he's got Dravid, SRT, Ganguly, Kumble, etc., backing him, instead of 1 and 1/2 or 2 years later when a couple of them will retire.

Problem with the SRT situation is, I don't think swapping Dravid and Tendulkar would make any difference.

theres still a question mark over dhoni in tests though. i have a feeling SRT might turn out to be an inspired choice, might just spur him on too. and of course he commands respect.
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:38

But, he resigned once before because of the pressure, and it has increased ten-fold since then. Can't see how this time would be different.

He could be tempted, being the Indian captain is something you fantasise about.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 18 Sep 2007, 00:15

Ash wrote:
Josh Carney wrote: Mate there is lot more to this which will surface in the near future. And yes Kaif would be my choice.

maybe but it doesnt take a genius to see dravid was struggling with the pressure. his interaction with the media and his batting form both point to that. it was coming
Mate, I was never for Dravid being made the Captain you know that. I have been on the Kaif bandwagon even before Ganguly got dethroned.

On the Bombay lobby its influence is now increased because of the Powar power play. Was under control duing Dalmiya's regime. With Powar at the helm and Vengsarkar getting the nod for Chief of selectors the old cancer is showing up again.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Tue 18 Sep 2007, 00:57

because you say so right. compelling argument
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 18 Sep 2007, 01:06

You don't have to agree. Not many Indian fans agree with me I am used to that Very Happy

If you can draw your conclusions that it was all about "pressure" that drove Dravid to this decision can I not draw my conclusions on what "forces" played a role in accentuating that pressure ?

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 18 Sep 2007, 04:40

On Tendular's previous captaincy stints, one thing is quite clear that he hardly ever got the team he wanted. If you take players like Devang Gandhi, M S K Prasad and Vijay Bhardwaj on a tour to Australia, you can only expect a 3-0 drubbing.

I'm not saying that he was tactical genius and all that, far from it, but its crystal clear that India's dire record under him in both forms of the game wasn't all due to him.

Its credit to Ganguly (as well as Dalmiya) that he got more or less the same players he wanted.

PS: I still hope that Tendulkar won't accept the captaincy in either form of the game.

SG

Number of posts : 12806

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:51

NDTV India say Dhoni declared captain.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:58

24*7 confirm it. DHoni will lead us against the Aussies.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:59

Surprised that S Sree Sreesanth hasn't had a few more supporters.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next