Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dravid resigns as India captain

+16
Josh Carney
tac
filosofee
Batman
JayPatel
Ash
Gary 111
please don't yell
LeFromage
The One
*Buckaroo*
HH_pink
Henry
doremi
SG
Henry Nolonga
20 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 6 Empty Re: Dravid resigns as India captain

Post by doremi Tue 18 Sep 2007, 11:05

Gary 111 wrote:Surprised that S Sree Sreesanth hasn't had a few more supporters.

I'd love to see him be captain.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 6 Empty Re: Dravid resigns as India captain

Post by Josh Carney Wed 19 Sep 2007, 06:39

BCCI has done it again, talk about setting somebody for failure. Dhoni has question marks on his keeping and his batting abilities against good attacks. What do they do ? They make him Captain and give a team with 3 ex-Captains / prima donnas one fat so called pacer who cannot bowl more than 4 overs, several fielding liabilities and all that against Australia. If Dhoni's greatest detractror was asked to script something he could not have done it better.

So this man has to keep, lead and manage this team full of ageing carcasses against the Aussies. Ah and there is the pressure of the crazed home towm expectations.

Dhoni Saab get ready for the Aussie experience, the targeted mental disintegration etc. Captaincy is no glamour job. It needs a tough breed particularly in India. In India whacking sixes quite often gets the nod as for Captaincy material.

As always Indian Cricket will go around in many circular routes to arrive at some destination / conlusion that could have been arrived at with some incisive/objective clear thinking a lot earlier.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Wed 19 Sep 2007, 09:57

Manjrekar's take on the captaincy

How is keeping long hair and whacking sixes mutually exclusive from being from a "tough breed"?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by Aathma Wed 19 Sep 2007, 21:31

Josh Carney wrote:one fat so called pacer who cannot bowl more than 4 overs

Who?
Aathma
Aathma

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Wed 19 Sep 2007, 22:58

Aathma wrote:
Josh Carney wrote:one fat so called pacer who cannot bowl more than 4 overs

Who?
I was referring to Irfan Pathan.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Wed 19 Sep 2007, 23:08

"How is keeping long hair and whacking sixes mutually exclusive from being from a "tough breed"?"

- Not sure where the long hair bit came from. Hitting sixes and being a "tough breed" are not mutually exclusive. But in India the general trend is to get carried away by flashy batsmen and extrapolate their capabilities on all fronts. Captain does not have to be the best or flashiest player. He has to get the best out the team, front up to the pressure and lead from the front on and off the field, whilst chipping in with his contributions. The best Captains to me are the ones who are not self centred ie. looking for personal attention all the time and are never mentally defeated. I am not sure we have seen enough evidence of this yet from Dhoni as yet. I am not even fully convinced that he should be our test wicket keeper.

One aspect that pleases me on the Dhoni appointment is the fact that the moulded thinking that national Captians were restricted to Bomay / Delhi / Bangalore / Calcutta / Madras players has been broken.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sun 30 Sep 2007, 03:31

So who next for India's test captaincy?
HH_pink
HH_pink

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 6 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sun 30 Sep 2007, 03:32

Josh Carney wrote:"How is keeping long hair and whacking sixes mutually exclusive from being from a "tough breed"?"

- Not sure where the long hair bit came from. Hitting sixes and being a "tough breed" are not mutually exclusive. But in India the general trend is to get carried away by flashy batsmen and extrapolate their capabilities on all fronts. Captain does not have to be the best or flashiest player. He has to get the best out the team, front up to the pressure and lead from the front on and off the field, whilst chipping in with his contributions. The best Captains to me are the ones who are not self centred ie. looking for personal attention all the time and are never mentally defeated. I am not sure we have seen enough evidence of this yet from Dhoni as yet. I am not even fully convinced that he should be our test wicket keeper.

One aspect that pleases me on the Dhoni appointment is the fact that the moulded thinking that national Captians were restricted to Bomay / Delhi / Bangalore / Calcutta / Madras players has been broken.

Hyd? Azhar? Wink
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sun 30 Sep 2007, 03:39

An amazingly well-written article on the issue of the next captain: http://dailycric.blogspot.com/2007/09/indias-next-captain.html

I agree with the writer. I would like to see the captaincy given to Laxman not only because he seems to be the best option at present, but because that might just be the sort of catalyst he needs to take his game to the next level, free of all the place-pressures and insecurities he's had to suffer from all these years through no fault of his own. And it would be justive well served.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sun 30 Sep 2007, 08:16

HH_pink wrote:
Josh Carney wrote:"How is keeping long hair and whacking sixes mutually exclusive from being from a "tough breed"?"

Hyd? Azhar? Wink

india's first test captain born in a metro was its 11th captain, pankaj roy. its first test captain born in bombay was wadekar, its 16th test captain. its 1st from madras its 17th - venkat. out of its 29 test captains, before dhoni becomes one, 9 were born in bombay/delhi/calcutta/bangalore/madras with a further 5-6 who either played for one of these teams before/after they became captains

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 01 Oct 2007, 04:28

They make him Captain and give a team with 3 ex-Captains / prima donnas
Josh,

Is being an ex-captain is equivalent to being a prima donna? Or is it other way round?

Does becoming a captain fills you with prima donnaism?

Is there any written rule which states that no ex-captain would play in a cricket team? By applying your logic no cricketer should play cricket after resigning/being sacked from captaincy. They should straightaway retire from the game.

And I haven't yet mentioned about the current performance of all those prima donnas, which factually is far better than most of 'young guns'.

SG

Number of posts : 12806

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 01 Oct 2007, 04:37

dravid, at least, is not a prima donna....i cannot imagine he would overstay his welcome and form in the team
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Mon 01 Oct 2007, 19:19

Nor would TENDULKAR, FFS!!
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Mon 01 Oct 2007, 19:22

SG wrote:
They make him Captain and give a team with 3 ex-Captains / prima donnas
Josh,

Is being an ex-captain is equivalent to being a prima donna? Or is it other way round?

Does becoming a captain fills you with prima donnaism?

Is there any written rule which states that no ex-captain would play in a cricket team? By applying your logic no cricketer should play cricket after resigning/being sacked from captaincy. They should straightaway retire from the game.

And I haven't yet mentioned about the current performance of all those prima donnas, which factually is far better than most of 'young guns'.

Performances, and facts, don't matter. They're 'prima donnas' (hate the word, btw - pretentious to the core) by definition. Probably astrologically, which is the only logic I can think of for why someone would go on beating their chest over this particular topic.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 02 Oct 2007, 01:15

Did not say all of them were prima donnas, the "/" between the two words may have been misleading. Dravid is not a PD in my book and Ganguly, whilst not quite a PD does appear to have a fetish to establish his hierarchy.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Tue 02 Oct 2007, 01:37

so basically you're saying sachin is a "prima donna". why not just say that? lol
Ash
Ash

Dravid resigns as India captain - Page 6 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 02 Oct 2007, 02:15

Ash wrote:so basically you're saying sachin is a "prima donna". why not just say that? lol
Wink

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 02 Oct 2007, 02:41

shrug
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6