Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder?

+12
SG
Red
HH_pink
Paul Keating
Zat
mynah
doremi
Winkle Spinner
Merlin
Lara Lara Laughs
The One
taipan
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder?

Post by doremi Tue 30 Dec 2008, 04:15

Sehwag has a great technique. And is probably better than Chanderpaul as a batsman.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder?

Post by Red Tue 30 Dec 2008, 04:16

Kallis is not a dynamic all-rounder in the mould of a Botham, Dev, or Imran etc. but the stats don't lie. His batting might mean that he's tended to save rather than win matches and he is not one to excite crowds or scorers with explosive rates but he's been the cornerstone of SA's batting for years and it's rare for someone who's scored roughly 10,000 runs to be capable of bowling first change, producing fast, swinging deliveries and bowling with such variation. People will point out the longevity factor but it's hard to see too many in the future ever coming close to his type of all-round record. And remember he's a very good slip fielder as well.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 30 Dec 2008, 04:18

Hyper Hippo,

Where did I say that technique is the deciding factor in rating batsmen?

All i said was batsman A is better than batsman B.

Doremi,

I'd take Chanders any day of the week

Last edited by Paul Keating on Tue 30 Dec 2008, 04:24; edited 1 time in total
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 30 Dec 2008, 04:18

doremi wrote:Sehwag has a great technique. And is probably better than Chanderpaul as a batsman.

No? But he's a genius, yes.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder? - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 30 Dec 2008, 04:19

Paul Keating wrote:Hyper Hippo,

Where did I say that technic is the deciding factor in rating batsmen?

All i said was batsman A is better than batsman B.

Doremi,

I'd take Chanders any day of the week

I know. I assumed that was the rationale. Makes sense.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 30 Dec 2008, 06:33

Zat wrote:Kallis is a decent batsman, and a bowler who can hold up an end, but he's no Botham, Sobers, Hadlee, Kapil Dev, etc...

True, maybe that's why he has better stats than them.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 30 Dec 2008, 06:35

Different era, different stats.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Wed 31 Dec 2008, 03:56

doremi wrote:Sehwag has a great technique. And is probably better than Chanderpaul as a batsman.

From cricinfo:

"I don't believe in technique, I believe in performance. If you are tough, whether you have technique or not, you'll survive."
The philosophy behind Virender Sehwag's batting
Dec 27, 2008
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 31 Dec 2008, 04:03

"I don't believe in technique, I believe in performance. If you are tough, whether you have technique or not, you'll survive."
Absolutely sage.

Its PERFORMANCE that matters.

To hell with technique and all that, had he bothered about it even a bit on the 4th day of Chennai test, India might've lost that series to Eng.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Wed 31 Dec 2008, 04:43

Kallis isn't as dynamic an allrounder as Imran, Botham, Hadlee, et al. But they were all primarily bowlers - and bowlers win you much more matches than batsmen.

Kallis is not in Imran, Hadlee or a young Botham's league as a bowler - but on the flip side none of these are close to being in Kallis' class as a batsman. As a batsman alone he would be right up there as one of the best of the modern era - only half a dozen or so - Lara, Tendulkar, Waugh, Ponting, etc. have been better than him.

There haven't been too many great batting all rounders - Sobers is the obvious one. But there are very few more you could name who would even rival Kallis.

The frustrating thing about Kallis is the feeling that he always holds something back. That he could have been the best cricketer of our age if he had more of a sense of adventure. He has all the shots - but rarely plays them, and definitely has not rested the initiative from the bowlers as often as he could. As a bowler he had the potential to be a bone fide class Test bowler - see his marvelous performance at Headingley in 2003 when he stepped up to the plate following injuries to other bowlers. But often he seemed happy to bowl well within himself, often a foot outside off stump.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 31 Dec 2008, 05:11

That he could have been the best cricketer of our age if he had more of a sense of adventure. He has all the shots - but rarely plays them, and definitely has not rested the initiative from the bowlers as often as he could.

That is my main criticism of JK.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Wed 31 Dec 2008, 06:10

SG wrote:To hell with technique and all that, had he bothered about it even a bit on the 4th day of Chennai test, India might've lost that series to Eng.

Not necessarily, technique is required every now and then when confronted with an express bowler on a green top. Or a strong technique is required to counter a spinner on a 5th day wicket.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Why does nobody consider Kallis to be a great all-rounder? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 31 Dec 2008, 06:15

Agreed, Salim. Technique is required but its not everything.

The track on which Sehwag played that astonishing innings was full of vagaries as well against a very good attack led by Flintoff.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 31 Dec 2008, 06:52

JGK wrote:
That he could have been the best cricketer of our age if he had more of a sense of adventure. He has all the shots - but rarely plays them, and definitely has not rested the initiative from the bowlers as often as he could.

That is my main criticism of JK.

At times he felt the whole weight of the team upon him. If he had been an Aussie, with the added quality of batting around him, I think you would have seen another batsman.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Dec 2008, 08:40

SG wrote:
The track on which Sehwag played that astonishing innings was full of vagaries as well against enabled by a very good pie-flinging Harami and Jimmy attack led by in which Flintoff was wasted as third seamer.

Fixed.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 22 Sep 2020, 21:57

It's a fair question. He was always round enough.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38101

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 15 May 2021, 05:31

Merlin wrote:batting = dependable (mostly), workmanlike (always) ...  occasional flashes of brilliance.

bowling = a trundler who needs "his" track to perform miracles ... otherwise would only rank him marginally better than Collingwood and his dibbly dobblers. A good partnership breaker though ... achieving wickets more through surprise (given his girth) than nous or brilliance.

Decent fielder ... though a lumbering ball chaser to the ropes (girth again)!.

'genius'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38101

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 15 May 2021, 17:23

I suppose we expect all-rounders to be “box-office” players who empty the bars, players whose intangibles and memorable one-off matchwinning performances outweigh their overall stats.

Kallis on the other hand was just a great accumulator of runs, who happened to be a pretty decent third or fourth seamer as well, particularly in early career. Can’t think of many others who have had that kind of role.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2