Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ?

+11
spangler
SG
Gary 111
Brass Monkey
Henry
Chandan
doremi
Migara
PearlJ
Nath
Josh Carney
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ?

Post by The One Mon 15 Oct 2007, 16:59

but pathan was never a test level bowler. i dont get this talk of him coming 'back' at the test level

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ?

Post by Henry Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:10

By 'coming back' at test level, i mean, he'll be picked in the test side again pretty soon. He's still only 23. He's shown glimpses of what he is capable of in all forms of cricket. No, he's not the next Wasim Akram (Which was what he was hyped up to be when he started) but he does have the potential to take 200+ wickets at an average of around 30, imo. Plus his batting will also be an advantage for him as it strengthens India's tail, and the guys he is competing with for a test spot- Munaf, RP Singh, and Sreesanth, are poor with the bat and in the field.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:22

what potential do you see? he cant move the red ball after 10 overs, which is a fact. he doesnt have speed in the air and he hardly seams it around. fact is there are at least 5-6 bowlers ahead of him, and thats discounting any young potential bowlers who have not yet played for india

no indian pace bowler has taken 200 wickets at 30 except kapil and srinath (and both of them just barely). to expect pathan to do so would be wishful thinking

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:36

He's capable of reverse swing, and he swung it around a lot at Sydney in 2004 right through Australia's innings. I seem to remember him cleaning up Damien Martyn with a ripper of an inswinger right before the close of play during that match.

RP Singh is a more naturally gifted bowler, but Pathan has a good cricket brain and is a hard worker, which will count for something in the long run. And lets not forget that all but about 2 of his tests have been played on low and slow pitches in the Sub Continent. He hasnt had the advantages of bowling in England, South Africa, or New Zealand yet.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:38

He could be picked in the test 'squad', be surprised to see him picked in the test 'XI'. As I said before, pick your bowlers for their bowling, not their batting.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:39

Yeah, I always thought Pathan was an over-hyped, pumped-up Jessie.

However, Zaheer, Sree, Munaf and finally RP have all impressed me greatly. I'd actually call that a potentially 'damn fine' attack.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:40

Actually it Was Gilchrist who he cleaned up, not Damien Martyn.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:48

Henry wrote:He's capable of reverse swing, and he swung it around a lot at Sydney in 2004 right through Australia's innings. I seem to remember him cleaning up Damien Martyn with a ripper of an inswinger right before the close of play during that match.

RP Singh is a more naturally gifted bowler, but Pathan has a good cricket brain and is a hard worker, which will count for something in the long run. And lets not forget that all but about 2 of his tests have been played on low and slow pitches in the Sub Continent. He hasnt had the advantages of bowling in England, South Africa, or New Zealand yet.

he still went at 4 an over and averaged over 50 in australia. one wonder delivery does not make a bowler. i havent seem him reverse it in tests since his 1st test

when i see a bowler i see what skills he possesses, not always their early performances, and to tell the truth i dont see pathan having any skills that will help in test cricket on decent pitches against proper teams

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:49

And Gilchrist is such a nice chap he probably even walked off without waiting for the umpire's finger.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Oct 2007, 17:58

He lingered round like a big eared bad smell. He 'Prince Charlesed' it, if you will.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Migara Mon 15 Oct 2007, 18:55

Pathan has lot of potential. He should have a talk to Vaas or Pollock and ask how to do it bowling around 130k. If he becomes a very accurate bowler, he would be better tha Vaas as a left arm seamer. Beating Wasim would be in Irfan's wildest of dreams.

Migara

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 15 Oct 2007, 19:07

pathan will get another run in the test team sooner or later especially if we play 5 bowlers. atm id rank him behind zaheer, sreesanth, RP singh and munaf in that order. in fact we have 4-5 options in the spin side of things too....for once our bowling reserves are better than our batting reserves
Ash
Ash

Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 16 Oct 2007, 04:08

Pathan is anyday better than Agarkar in any form of the game in all disciplines apart from may be throwing from deep.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 16 Oct 2007, 06:44

even though their bowling records are remarkably similar in both forms when you take out the minnows. they both are good odi bowlers, but just not good enough for tests

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Tue 16 Oct 2007, 19:19

difference is agarkar cant even do it against the minnows.
Ash
Ash

Is Irfan Pathan India's answer to NZ's Chris Harris ? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2