Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vikas is now writing for cricinfo

+9
skully
The One
Merlin
SG
G.Wood
taipan
Brass Monkey
Zat
lardbucket
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vikas is now writing for cricinfo - Page 3 Empty Re: Vikas is now writing for cricinfo

Post by The One Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:42

when was the last time a non-australian team whitewashed another away from home? probably the windies of the 80s i guess. thats an extremely rare event, so more akin to winning 3 consecutive world cup wins rather than a single one

but again, for me no single test series win, no matter against who and in what manner, is more important than the last world cup win. the feeling was absolutely magical and the joy on everyone's faces for at least a week after that was palpable

i guess its also more so since it was at home and i had never seen my team win a world cup. probably will be nowhere near the same if we win the next one

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Vikas is now writing for cricinfo - Page 3 Empty Re: Vikas is now writing for cricinfo

Post by lardbucket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:11

The One wrote:but again, for me no single test series win, no matter against who and in what manner, is more important than the last world cup win

That is an extraordinarily different view to mine - none of Australia's World Cup wins mean anywhere near that much to me. Even the first one was very much ho-hum compared to the Ashes series win that followed a year or so later. I am hard pushed to remember more than a few details of the WC wins we have had, but Test wins (and losses) are engraved on the memory. They matter.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:15

cool

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:23

when was the last time a non-australian team whitewashed another away from home? probably the windies of the 80s i guess. thats an extremely rare event, so more akin to winning 3 consecutive world cup wins rather than a single one
Thats the thing and hence this achievement (against a gun team) would be far more dearer to me than a WC win.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:24

probably will be nowhere near the same if we win the next one
True.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 07 Nov 2011, 13:36

Some funny sh!t on this thread.

Seriously what a dross article, that 8-0 tour drubbing must really and I mean really have hurt the Indian psyche particularly as there were lots of comments post Ashes about how Australia were one thing, the world numbr 1 test side was a different matter altogether. If a 5-0 result against a middle ranked ODI side makes up in any way for the most humiliating defence of number 1 status ever seen then India have got problems.

WC over a test series? Only a WI, Bangla or Zim one. Gimmie a 4-0 beating of SA, AUS or IND anyday.

Personally I also think being test no.1 is a lot harder. You have to be consistent over a long period, whereas in the WC everyone is basically guaranteed to make the QF and you need to win 3 games from there...

Australia have beaten England 12-2 in the ODI's in the last two ashes series. Think they really care about that?

JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 13:53

You do speak the truth, Lever, as I said though it's a horrible teri maaki to have on the back - the WC thing - everyone knows we turn up and play gash. Just once I'd like to win it. It'd mean something.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 17:56

JKLever wrote:Some funny sh!t on this thread.

Seriously what a dross article, that 8-0 tour drubbing must really and I mean really have hurt the Indian psyche particularly as there were lots of comments post Ashes about how Australia were one thing, the world numbr 1 test side was a different matter altogether. If a 5-0 result against a middle ranked ODI side makes up in any way for the most humiliating defence of number 1 status ever seen then India have got problems.

Australia have beaten England 12-2 in the ODI's in the last two ashes series. Think they really care about that?

This sums up perfectly the bemusement of English posters on here about the reaction in India over the ODI series.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:05

Is it the reaction in India though? I mean, I'd hate for an Indian to take some utter know-nothing cum-guzzler like Sean Custis as the typical English reaction to us thrashing India. I've seen some Indian journos giving it the 'WGAF shrug' about the 5-niller.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:09

Judging from the comments on that article I would suggest it is the reaction.

Just read the article again, do you think the author was actually taking the piss out of Indians over-reacting to a JAMODI series?

Big case of NSR on our part if that is the case....

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:21

vilkrang wrote:Judging from the comments on that article I would suggest it is the reaction.

Just read the article again, do you think the author was actually taking the piss out of Indians over-reacting to a JAMODI series?

Laughing Nah.. he must be serious, he's just a dick that doesn't deserve a job / exposure at Cricinfo. A horredous 'article'. Possibly one of the most accidentally unhumourous I've ever read. I blame the internet. It would never have made print.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:44

I think this bit is the 'richest':

"Oh, don't worry. You guys are doing well in other sports such as rugb... footba... baske... hock... darts. In darts you have virtually no opposition..."

Rankings...

Sport

England

India

Rugby

5th

74th

Football

7th

160th

Basketball

43rd

58th

Hockey

5th

10th

Test Cricket

1st

3rd

T20 Cricket

1st

6th
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:47

You forgot darts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:52

They don't do team world rankings, but England have at least four of the top 10 over three federations.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:11

Technique 1

Approach an Indian friend in a social gathering and use this knock knock joke:

You: Knock knock!
English friend: Who's there?
Ashfaque Saye.
Ashfaque Saye who?
Sorry, Ashfaque Saye was knocked out in the first round. This is now Rohit Rabadia.
Rohit Rabadia who?
Too late. He didn't even qualify.

Play this game as long as your Indian friend will.

Technique 2

As is usual after such a drubbing, Indian fans will act as if they do not remember the last darts tournament. This is an old trick. Help them remember with this easy mnemonic:

How many letters in the word Darts?
How many sandwiches are left in the shop after Phil Taylor has visited it?
So what is the scoreline of the series?
Darts is a tournament game, you retard.
Simple.

Technique 3

One of my favourite techniques is to console distraught Indian fans.

Indian fan: "I am so upset about the darts..."
English fan (you): "Oh, don't worry. You guys are doing well in other sports such as rugb... footba... baske... hock...tenni...gol....Formul...Athlet... Corruption. In corruption you have virtually no opposition..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:15

Ouch vilks, they've cut you deep haven't they Very Happy;)
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:19

If I'm brutally honest, I probably do care more about the ODI series than Indians care about their performances at darts. But only just.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:33

Laughing Me too... I'm wondering if maybe I'm so apathetic because we're shite, but it's not, I just can't GAF... who would, really? As I've banged on about, every non WC ODI is tantamount to a friendly in football.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 07 Nov 2011, 20:52

It's humourous Indians slating the performance of other English/British sporting teams. Whilst we're not sporting facists by any means, an Indian dissing English sporting performance in F1 & Athletics.... WTF?

After all England/Britain have won the RWcup in 2003, Had 2 F1 world champions in the last few years, came 4th in the last olympics medal table with 20 golds etc, don't we have or had the no.1 ranked player in golf? Have world class athletes, rowers etc...etc...etc

i don't get it, I mean I really don't. Its bad enough Aussies droning on about 'lack of sporting success' but farquin Indians? I mean wtf else do they do in the world of sport?

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 20:57

JKLever wrote:It's humourous Indians slating the performance of other English/British sporting teams. Whilst we're not sporting facists by any means, an Indian dissing English sporting performance in F1 & Athletics.... WTF?

After all England/Britain have won the RWcup in 2003, Had 2 F1 world champions in the last few years, came 4th in the last olympics medal table with 20 golds etc, don't we have or had the no.1 ranked player in golf? Have world class athletes, rowers etc...etc...etc

i don't get it, I mean I really don't. Its bad enough Aussies droning on about 'lack of sporting success' but farquin Indians? I mean wtf else do they do in the world of sport?

Oh dear Lever Laughing .

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 07 Nov 2011, 21:29

Have I been NSR'd ?
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 21:47

No, but you might want to read the article again, particularly the bit where it mentions different sports.

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 07 Nov 2011, 22:00

Vilky do you tire of teaching your bretheren comprehension skills?
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 07 Nov 2011, 22:02

vilkrang wrote:No, but you might want to read the article again, particularly the bit where it mentions different sports.

Reading whole articles is soooooo 2010....
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 07 Nov 2011, 22:04

vilkrang wrote:Just read the article again, do you think the author was actually taking the piss out of Indians over-reacting to a JAMODI series?

You could make a case for it being a pisstake but his 5 techniques are too banal to make you think he has the sophistication necessary.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next