Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telegraph reporting Andy Flower's resigned.

+16
Fred Nerk
Neil D
lardbucket
skully
eowyn
beamer
furriner
Henry Nolonga
Red
taipan
Brass Monkey
PeterCS
embee
holcs
Henry
LeFromage
20 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Telegraph reporting Andy Flower's resigned. - Page 4 Empty Re: Telegraph reporting Andy Flower's resigned.

Post by PeterCS Fri 31 Jan 2014, 23:17

It is.

And it is.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Telegraph reporting Andy Flower's resigned. - Page 4 Empty Re: Telegraph reporting Andy Flower's resigned.

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Feb 2014, 00:33

Stephen Brenkley, in The Independent (London), strongly suggests Downton did not push Flower.

He also writes:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashley-giles-favourite-as-andy-flower-quits-over-split-role-and-awful-ashes-9100489.html

So who now? Candidates for top job

The easy option would be for Downton, who does not officially start until Monday, to appoint Ashley Giles as Flower’s successor. Giles has an early chance to impress in the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh in March but he has had almost as wretched a time of it in Australia as Flower, losing both the one-day international and Twenty20 series.

Their capitulation by eight wickets yesterday with 5.1 of the 20 overs still left at Australia’s disposal was as embarrassing as anything they have suffered all winter.

(...)
There are few obvious candidates for the job from outside. None of those mentioned in the bookmakers’ odds have overwhelming credentials. Gary Kirsten, who has enjoyed huge success with both India and South Africa, resigned last year because he wanted to spend more time with his family. He is not the sort of chap to be lured thousands of miles from his home with the prospect of more world travel simply by a heap of money.

Other names mentioned include another former South Africa coach, Graham Ford, who recently agreed to join Surrey after working with Sri Lanka. Ford was an early mentor of Kevin Pietersen, which may work in his favour but equally may not.

Tom Moody, Dav Whatmore and Mickey Arthur formed a list of usual suspects and the appearance of the former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming in the bookies’ shortlist seemed the wildest of left-field candidates since his coaching has been limited so far to the Indian Premier League.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 01 Feb 2014, 00:43

Michael Vaughan?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Feb 2014, 00:49

Flem would be an interesting choice.

Is Moody free? I assumed not. But he has a good cricketing brain and approach.

Kirsten: bit of a maestro, but Brenkley's point might well be on the nail.

The best-case scenario, for me, is a wise head on old shoulders, with definite active ideas, who can encourage and energise the best skills without suffering fools. And knows what to delegate effectively, what not to give away. (A Boof, in shorthand.)

With Colly to be given some significant role to give him more experience and test him out, and his effectiveness.

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Feb 2014, 00:50

lardbucket wrote:Michael Vaughan?

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP AND WATER.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 01 Feb 2014, 02:04

lardbucket wrote:Michael Vaughan?

I believe he's counted himself out.

Mick Newell wants the job.

In the "anyone but Gilo" category, rather than a potential appointment of real ambition.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 01 Feb 2014, 02:34

Hard to imagine that Kirsten would embark on the job given that he resigned the SA job due to a desire to spend more time at home with his young family.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 01 Feb 2014, 03:03

PeterCS wrote:Flem would be an interesting choice.

Is Moody free? I assumed not. But he has a good cricketing brain and approach.

Kirsten: bit of a maestro, but Brenkley's point might well be on the nail.

The best-case scenario, for me, is a wise head on old shoulders, with definite active ideas, who can encourage and energise the best skills without suffering fools. And knows what to delegate effectively, what not to give away. (A Boof, in shorthand.)

With Colly to be given some significant role to give him more experience and test him out, and his effectiveness.

Doubt it will be Kirsten for a few days ago he gave this response to an Indian journo (Kirsten was visiting India) regarding the prospect of coaching again.
Are you open to coaching India again?

Not at this stage in my life. It's not appropriate right now because international coaching takes you away from home for long. Whatever I am into currently (with an IPL team) does not take much of my time. So it suits my needs and my family's needs. I don't want to be away from home too much. My priority at the moment is to at least have 70% of the year at home.

Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Feb 2014, 03:18

Red: You misread what Brenkley wrote, and which I took as a valid point..

He said  exactly the opposite of how you grasped him (and my agreement) - that is, precisely the point you have since restated.

Which I will now repeat in BOLD RED (so it's finally clear! Very Happy) >

PeterCS wrote:Stephen Brenkley, in The Independent (London), strongly suggests Downton did not push Flower.

He also writes:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashley-giles-favourite-as-andy-flower-quits-over-split-role-and-awful-ashes-9100489.html

The easy option would be for Downton, who does not officially start until Monday, to appoint Ashley Giles as Flower’s successor. Giles has an early chance to impress in the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh in March but he has had almost as wretched a time of it in Australia as Flower, losing both the one-day international and Twenty20 series.

Their capitulation by eight wickets yesterday with 5.1 of the 20 overs still left at Australia’s disposal was as embarrassing as anything they have suffered all winter.

(...)
There are few obvious candidates for the job from outside. None of those mentioned in the bookmakers’ odds have overwhelming credentials. Gary Kirsten, who has enjoyed huge success with both India and South Africa, resigned last year because he wanted to spend more time with his family. He is not the sort of chap to be lured thousands of miles from his home with the prospect of more world travel simply by a heap of money.

Other names mentioned include another former South Africa coach, Graham Ford, who recently agreed to join Surrey after working with Sri Lanka. Ford was an early mentor of Kevin Pietersen, which may work in his favour but equally may not.

Tom Moody, Dav Whatmore and Mickey Arthur formed a list of usual suspects and the appearance of the former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming in the bookies’ shortlist seemed the wildest of left-field candidates since his coaching has been limited so far to the Indian Premier League.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 01 Feb 2014, 04:32

PeterCS wrote:Red: You misread what Brenkley wrote, and which I took as a valid point..

He said  exactly the opposite of how you grasped him (and my agreement) - that is, precisely the point you have since restated.

Which I will now repeat in BOLD RED (so it's finally clear! Very Happy) >

PeterCS wrote:Stephen Brenkley, in The Independent (London), strongly suggests Downton did not push Flower.

He also writes:

(...)

Sorry I shouldn't have used your article, but having seen that interview with Kirsten I was more responding to others who had touted his name about as a possible. I saw his name and highlighted it. My apologies.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 01 Feb 2014, 07:27

I think Fleming would be a very good choice. It would be bold and brave, but his captaincy knowledge and creativeness would help Cook a lot (assuming they will stick with him as captain).

So what if Fleming only has experience as an IPL coach. It was the same with Lehmann before he got the top job (ok, well maybe he had one season with Queensland?)
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 01 Feb 2014, 08:02

If Boof did have only one season with Queensland (and my memory is he was there for a few years), it was one absolutely bloody outstanding one, that had even had the tissues down here in Melbourne recommending him for the Oz job over 12 months ago, at least six months before it was available.

If they don't pick Fleming, they should go for another 'outsider' of his vintage.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 01 Feb 2014, 08:35

Fred Nerk wrote:If Boof did have only one season with Queensland (and my memory is he was there for a few years), it was one absolutely bloody outstanding one, that had even had the tissues down here in Melbourne recommending him for the Oz job over 12 months ago, at least six months before it was available.

If they don't pick Fleming, they should go for another 'outsider' of his vintage.

Chris Harris.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:57

Harry Potter.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 01 Feb 2014, 11:04

Mark Richardson if we're going for Snoozers, surely he would promote a dynamic, positive style of play...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Feb 2014, 11:06

Harry Potter's lookalike. Luca.

Weave some magic.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 28 Feb 2014, 07:50

There we go - Vaughan's fallen in to line behind his best mate. He knows which way the wind's blowing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/10665422/West-Indies-v-England-Ashley-Giles-Paul-Collingwood-and-Graham-Thorpe-the-perfect-coaching-combination.html

But wait, you might think. Didn't Vaughan say a few weeks ago that Gary Kirsten was the perfect man for the job and it was too soon for Giles?

Yes. Yes he did. But that was then. It's not too soon now. Not with so much time having passed, and us all being that much older and wiser.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 28 Feb 2014, 13:02

I like what I'm hearing from Colly. The other day, he went as close as he possibly could to saying the ECB made a huge mistake by axing KP. Something like, "Yes, you need your team men...but you also need your match winners". 

Hell, we'd all rather Colly got the main job rather than Giles. I think the role of head coach these days is more about bringing a certain attitude and approach to the side, rather than anything technical. They have an army of ECB qualified coaches to do that. I reckon under Colly England would be enjoying themselves again and playing positive cricket.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 01 Mar 2014, 08:19

so ... is Colly Flower's successor?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 01 Mar 2014, 08:28

lardbucket wrote:so ... is Colly Flower's successor?

Not a chance. I can see him having some part-time input (he's still playing don't forget) but I think he's too close to the players having been their team mate until a couple of years ago.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 01 Mar 2014, 09:15

I really just wanted to say cauliflowers

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:05

Henry wrote:I like what I'm hearing from Colly. The other day, he went as close as he possibly could to saying the ECB made a huge mistake by axing KP. Something like, "Yes, you need your team men...but you also need your match winners". 

Hell, we'd all rather Colly got the main job rather than Giles. I think the role of head coach these days is more about bringing a certain attitude and approach to the side, rather than anything technical. They have an army of ECB qualified coaches to do that. I reckon under Colly England would be enjoying themselves again and playing positive cricket.
I said at the time that it was a bad decision by him to join at this point and he will be damaged goods, tainted by association with Giles and the remaining senior players whose careers will tail off over the next couple of years amid a flurry of whitewashes.

He'd have been better off waiting a couple of years and coming in under an ambitious Aussie or Yarpie head coach with a fresh young team.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 04 Mar 2014, 13:12

They're all falling into line. They've got the tip-off. Following on from Michael Vaughan's U-Turn on Ashley Giles, Swanny's now talking him up as the greatest coach since sliced bread.

"Gilo is the man to lead the England team forward," said Swann, who is working as a pundit for Test Match Special on England's limited-overs tour of West Indies. "He did a cracking job during the Champions Trophy. People seem to have forgotten that and seem to just tally him with the one-day series in Australia.

"He's a very good coach who had a sublime record at Warwickshire. He knows the system. He was brought in by Andy Flower to take over that one-day role and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't carry on.

"Obviously if the ECB decide to look elsewhere, someone might come in and change the whole system. There's always an argument for bringing in experts from outside, but maybe there's not that many people who want it at the minute."

He also said anyone criticising Alastair Cook's captaincy was "deluded".
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 04 Mar 2014, 13:16

Isn't Swanny satisfied with his earnings on TMS?

Doesn't he know Belly is first in line when the pants are down? There is no vacancy there.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 04 Mar 2014, 18:37

Now Swann's outside the setup, surely he doesn't have to say things like this? If you're going to quit then at least tell the truth and dish some dirt on people.

Looks like we're relying on KP to come out and say Giles is a muppet and we won't beat Bangladesh under him. Which would obviously ensure he got the job.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next