Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus?

+14
THICKEDGE
Henry
Batman
Geoffrey Trueman
mynah
Winkle Spinner
eowyn
holcs
Merlin
Chivalry Augustus
WideWally
Brass Monkey
JKLever
Lara Lara Laughs
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus? Empty Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus?

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:13

Thoughts?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus? Empty Re: Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus?

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:15

No.

But he's better than Roger Daltrey...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus? Empty Re: Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus?

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:15

Jesus had a beard. WTF has the Wonderstuff got?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:16

He's not better than Jesus? Why not?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:31

He's not even better than Frank...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:33

Yes, but Ryan Sidebottom has the advantage of being taught by his father.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9698
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:35

Oh yeah Wally? Reckon Arnie was better?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:38

Brass Monkey wrote:Oh yeah Wally? Reckon Arnie was better?

Huh?
I'm sure Arnie taught Ryan the basics of bowling. What did Jesus learn off his father?
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9698
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Tue 18 Mar 2008, 15:40

The Resurrection Shuffle?
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:16

The interesting thing about Sidebottom is the surprise that people showed when he was re-called. There was a lot of "FFS. He's just like Jon Lewis - a medium paced county trundler" from people on here.

However, he was actually a very good prospect in his younger days. He won the Dennis Compton award for most promising cricketer in CC two years in a row off the back of great seasons in CC. He consistently produced seasons where he took plenty of wickets at averages under 20 (in his best season he averaged 12.5) and has been excellent throughout his domestic career.

As for his debut - I looked it up. He had had his 12.5 season in the CC and was called up against an excellent Pakistan team that included Yousuf Youhana (MoYo), Younis Khan, Inzi and Saeed Anwar. He was then given just 11 overs in the first innings (mainly because Gough and Caddick were on fire) and 9 overs in his second. He took 0-38 and 0-26. Hardly the worst performance in the world. It was completely unfair to drop him after one average Test like that.

He should have been recalled far sooner than he was as he continued to be one of the best quicks around in CC and it shouldn't have been a surprise when he finally was recalled after 6 years away. Perhaps he would have been recalled earlier if Harmy/Hoggy/Jones and Fred hadn't been so brilliant. He is now finally getting the recognition and caps that he deserved.

If you look at his series' so far:

vs Windies - 16 wickets at 19.68.

vs India - 8 wickets at 37.87

vs Sri Lanka - 5 wickets at 63.6

vs NZ - 16 wickets at 17.5

The Indian and Sri Lanka series' are misleading. He had 8 catches dropped vs Sri Lanka (mainly by Prior) and 2 against India. Without those drops:

vs India - 10 wickets at 30.3

vs Sri Lanka - 13 wickets at 24

His overall record without those drops would be 55 wickets at 23 in 12 Tests. That's phenomenal. What a class act. That's why he's better than Jesus.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:20

Brass Monkey wrote:Jesus had a beard. WTF has the Wonderstuff got?

Five 5 fers ... so beat that.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:24

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:The interesting thing about Sidebottom is the surprise that people showed when he was re-called. There was a lot of "FFS. He's just like Jon Lewis - a medium paced county trundler" from people on here.

However, he was actually a very good prospect in his younger days. He won the Dennis Compton award for most promising cricketer in CC two years in a row off the back of great seasons in CC. He consistently produced seasons where he took plenty of wickets at averages under 20 (in his best season he averaged 12.5) and has been excellent throughout his domestic career.

As for his debut - I looked it up. He had had his 12.5 season in the CC and was called up against an excellent Pakistan team that included Yousuf Youhana (MoYo), Younis Khan, Inzi and Saeed Anwar. He was then given just 11 overs in the first innings (mainly because Gough and Caddick were on fire) and 9 overs in his second. He took 0-38 and 0-26. Hardly the worst performance in the world. It was completely unfair to drop him after one average Test like that.

Those of us who said that have always admitted such. If I recall he had a bit of a crap ODI tour of Zimbabwe after he played that test and his performances for Yorkshire didn't live up to the early promise. It wasn't until he joined Notts that he 'found' his game.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:26

You were on one of those "Is Sidebottom going to be the new FFS" people if memory serves, JKL.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:29

JKLever wrote:

Those of us who said that have always admitted such. If I recall he had a bit of a crap ODI tour of Zimbabwe after he played that test and his performances for Yorkshire didn't live up to the early promise. It wasn't until he joined Notts that he 'found' his game.

Really? He didn't join Notts until 2003. He averaged 12.5 in the 2000 season. 26.28 in 2001 and 29.02 in 2002.

Not bad returns and all before he joined Notts.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:30

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:You were on one of those "Is Sidebottom going to be the new FFS" people if memory serves, JKL.

Absolutely. Thought he was a top notch county performer but short of test class...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:32

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Really? He didn't join Notts until 2003. He averaged 12.5 in the 2000 season. 26.28 in 2001 and 29.02 in 2002.

I vaguely remember him being out of favour at Yorks during those seasons, and his performances were not too hot despite those stats.

I'm not sure but I dont think Yorks would renew his contract hence he moved to Notts?

But then this is my memory so I could be very wrong.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:33

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Figures don't suggest it do they? But watching county cricket during his last years at Yorks you would have seen there was no way he was ousting a line up of Caddick/Gough/Cork at that time.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:36

He only played 6 games in 2000 but he played 9 in 2001 and 13 in 2002.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:51

holcs wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
JKLever wrote:

I vaguely remember him being out of favour at Yorks during those seasons, and his performances were not too hot despite those stats.

I'm not sure but I dont think Yorks would renew his contract hence he moved to Notts?

I remember it that way too, Charlie.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 16:59

eowyn wrote:
holcs wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
JKLever wrote:

I remember it that way too, Charlie.

Hurrah.. My brain isn't too addled then!!!!

If a Yorkie says it then it must be fact! They are odd, but at least they know their Yorks County Cricket Club stuff!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Tue 18 Mar 2008, 17:07

Check out the new website.

Link

It's got the Kaiser Cheifs for background music! And Mynahs in miners helmets for some bizarre reason.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Tue 18 Mar 2008, 18:10

I can just picture Ryan Sidebottom in a few years getting photographed sniffing cocaine from the belly of a hilariously overweight Korean transvestite with an expression of mingled horror and tumescent lust on his wide, honest face.

You'll all regret comparing him to Jesus then.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 18 Mar 2008, 18:16

Did you edit? Or am I high? I'm sure that said "calling him Jesus" a minute ago. I was just about to berate you for not reading the thread title properly.

Anyway, Jesus would have been more interesting if he'd done coke and whores. A rock 'n roll prophet.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Tue 18 Mar 2008, 18:20

Sidebottom's been excellent as a Twenty20 and ODI player too, and his batting has been surprisingly good from time to time.

A four-dimensional England player, who would have thought it?
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Is Ryan Sidebottom better than Jesus? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Mar 2008, 18:22

Augustus wrote: and his batting has been surprisingly good from time to time.

It's only a matter of time before Beefy says he should bat higher up the order (a la Monty)
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next