Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying?

+10
spangler
krikri
Geoffrey Trueman
Basil
PeterCS
eowyn
PearlJ
JKLever
JGK
DJ_Smerk
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying?

Post by PearlJ Sun 08 Jun 2008, 00:41

DJ_Smerk wrote:Where has Ian Harvey gone? Always good for a laugh he was...

He's doing the punditry (sp?) on the Aus-WI series. A quick replacement for Colin Croft. Who was a certified loon. And he also said the word 'crap' on live TV. They got rid of him sharpish.

Also does a few county games.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying? - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying?

Post by PeterCS Sun 08 Jun 2008, 00:45

Why didn't he say "carp"?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sun 08 Jun 2008, 00:46

PeterCS wrote:Why didn't he say "carp"?

In reference to some Windian player. Or set-up or some such.

During the rain delay on the 3rd day in the last Test he had to talk for about 5 hours straight. And you could literally see him losing his mind.......
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 08 Jun 2008, 00:50

Fired for saying 'crap'? Joisus...

Ian Wright didn't even get fired from the Beeb for saying he'd 'creamed his pants' FFS
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sun 08 Jun 2008, 00:51

JKLever wrote:Fired for saying 'crap'? Joisus...

Ian Wright didn't even get fired from the Beeb for saying he'd 'creamed his pants' FFS

He did quit though.....

Croft was generally rubbish anyway...... very immodest
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffrey Trueman Sun 08 Jun 2008, 01:25

DJ_Smerk wrote:I never said it wasn't entertainment. I just said I don't find Ian Smith that thrilling in all honesty. The rest are really entertaining and very amusing though.

I know what you mean, but if Jeremy Coney is anything to go by there aren't many Kiwis that can fill the role of summariser/commentator.

I don't always like what he says, but anyone willing to laugh at himself like Ian Smith is alright by me.

I can't believe Croft has been sacked for saying 'cr*p' on TV. If that's the case then the writing's on the door for Bumble after describing a young Richard Hadlee as a 'teararse' during todays best all-rounder debate before the days play got under way.
Geoffrey Trueman
Geoffrey Trueman

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Sun 08 Jun 2008, 01:30

Basil wrote:Coney is excellent - a bit of a loon maybe, but right more often than he's wrong.

Does great pitch reports too Smile
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:09

I quite like Smith's wonderful little man syndromey rants.
He's not afraid to rile his stuffy fellow commentators. He and Slats together in the box would be fun.
spangler
spangler

Does anyone find Ian Smith (commentator) slightly annoying? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jun 2008, 10:58

The only time I actually like listening to Tony Greig is when the Snoozers tour Aus. Greig winds Smuthy up unmercifully until the little former Sheep glover cracks and starts having digs back. I'm sure Greig was a master-sledger as a cricketer.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:14

skully wrote:The only time I actually like listening to Tony Greig is when the Snoozers tour Aus. Greig winds Smuthy up unmercifully until the little former Sheep glover cracks and starts having digs back. I'm sure Greig was a master-sledger as a cricketer.

What did he say about the 1976 West Indians?

A big sledger ...but certainly not a master
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:19

Meh, fair enough MB, but he did that in the press/media. I'm thinking more about how he probably took no prisoners on the park, and no subject was probably taboo for him.

I vividly remember Pumpkin Head's reaction to Greigy's send off when he was dismissed in the 2nd innings of the Centenary Test (his debut match). And Hookesy could probably sledge with the best.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:48

krikri wrote:
Basil wrote:Coney is excellent - a bit of a loon maybe, but right more often than he's wrong.

Does great pitch reports too Smile

I think Coney was axed from commentating on the ABC in Aust when he referred to aboriginals as "Abos".

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 08 Jun 2008, 12:18

You think?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 08 Jun 2008, 12:19

"Guvv hum unnother chaince!"
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Jun 2008, 12:38

PeterCS wrote:You think?

Occasionally.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 09 Jun 2008, 07:05

Not many people would know that Ian Smith is also a rugby touchline reporter for Sky Sports in New Zealand.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Jun 2008, 22:43

This thread must not die.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 10 Jun 2008, 22:47

Coney's a bit of a cockmuncher, but his heart's in the right place. Craig Spearman couldn't be more wooden. Ian Smith's alright IMO. Good bloke, so it seems. Up for a gag or two. From what I've seen, I like Mark Richardson and Simon Doull. Flummung would be a good one, but I suppose that's pretty obvious.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Jun 2008, 23:02

Spearman COMMENTATES?!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 10 Jun 2008, 23:04

PeterCS wrote:Spearman COMMENTATES?!

Soz. He's one for apparent punditry.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Tue 10 Jun 2008, 23:06

Brass Monkey wrote:Coney's a bit of a cockmuncher, but his heart's in the right place. Craig Spearman couldn't be more wooden. Ian Smith's alright IMO. Good bloke, so it seems. Up for a gag or two. From what I've seen, I like Mark Richardson and Simon Doull. Flummung would be a good one, but I suppose that's pretty obvious.

Doull = Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMKDbfFDNI
PearlJ
PearlJ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Jun 2008, 23:08

Brass Monkey wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Spearman COMMENTATES?!

Soz. He's one for apparent punditry.

More a hod carrier than a spear carrier.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 19 Mar 2009, 00:37

Bump for Bas.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 19 Mar 2009, 00:40

Thanks Smerks. They are crap though - Coney's the best one, and he's stuck in some Sky portakabin in London!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 19 Mar 2009, 00:43

Thuss uz a prutty sully thridd, uzzn't ut?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next