Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tennis Players. Greedy AND soft. Just ask Andy.

+21
WideWally
beamer
Fred Nerk
horace
Paul Keating
Anthony_Gonzales
baggygreen
tricycle
Henry
lardbucket
Nath
JGK
PeterCS
Red
taipan
Brass Monkey
skully
Mick Sawyer
embee
G.Wood
Zat
25 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Tennis Players. Greedy AND soft. Just ask Andy. - Page 3 Empty Re: Tennis Players. Greedy AND soft. Just ask Andy.

Post by JGK Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:01

Yeah I read that. Apparently one anonymous person on twitter can create a "accused of racism" news story these days.

Weird world.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Tennis Players. Greedy AND soft. Just ask Andy. - Page 3 Empty Re: Tennis Players. Greedy AND soft. Just ask Andy.

Post by taipan Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:04

Henry wrote:Oh dear PC gone completely mad. Wozniacki has now been accused of "racism" for the impersonation.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/not-just-harmless-fun-wozniacki-accused-of-racism-after-williams-impression-20121212-2b8gy.html

"On Tumblr, one blogger wrote: "This isn't "harmless fun" as one article described it. its racist. out and outright racism. mocking and making fun of the bodies of black women for a laugh? real funny, stupid white girl. real real funny.'"

FFS you idiot. YOU'RE the one who's being racist for assuming that every black woman has curves and a big 'booty'!

F*cking twat.

Bad day for black, big arsed women?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:08

No not really. A bad day for blogging, PC hunting, latte sipping, tree hugging, African child adopting, chattering class twats more like.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:15

Henry wrote:Oh dear PC gone completely mad. Wozniacki has now been accused of "racism" for the impersonation.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/not-just-harmless-fun-wozniacki-accused-of-racism-after-williams-impression-20121212-2b8gy.html

"On Tumblr, one blogger wrote: "This isn't "harmless fun" as one article described it. its racist. out and outright racism. mocking and making fun of the bodies of black women for a laugh? real funny, stupid white girl. real real funny.'"

FFS you idiot. YOU'RE the one who's being racist for assuming that every black woman has curves and a big 'booty'!

F*cking twat.

Laughing

Random tumblr and feministing.com. How did that get published?

Last edited by tricycle on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:24; edited 1 time in total

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:23

Yeah seems like the definition of 'slow news day'- Report a story, then search the web for negative reaction to that story, then report that.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:24

Still, it annoys me that some turd would say "It's not funny. It's racist. She shouldn't make fun of black women's bodies."

Thereby revealing their own stereotypes towards black women.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:25

Reminds me of the time a Lowes ad was pulled when one dumb bint complained about Fatty Vautin being hit on the head (in a hard hat) with a hammer, saying it incited violence. FFS.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Wed 12 Dec 2012, 09:42

smashpc
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:28

Wozzie is a dumb piece of Bacon anyway. Very Happy
baggygreen
baggygreen

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 04 Jan 2013, 00:06

Zat wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/19/andy-murray-strike-atp

Yep. The top players are talking about possible strike action.

Because, in the case of Andy Murray, who has won a massive two titles this year, his rather paltry earnings of $3.4 million US just aren't enough recompense for such a stellar performance.

Fair dinkum, no wonder I hate tennis...

The "problem" with tennis prizemoney is that it's loaded too heavily at the top end. My mates boy played Murray last night, good enough to take a set off him, ranked 199 in the world yet his dad continues to shell out around $50k a year to keep the boy in the game. Prizemoney for the secondary tournaments in Australia has not increased in over 10 years.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 04 Jan 2013, 01:18

"Full credit to myself for playing so well today."

Bernard Tomic surely KNOWS why the whole of Australia hates him, doesn't he?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Sun 06 Jan 2013, 23:32

A thread about anyone being soft - let alone professional tennis players - on a cricket forum? Let me repeat - on a CRICKET forum? Really?

Most cricketers would not survive just the training session of a top tennis players like Djokovic. Let us not even go into the actual sport, the sheer physical stamina and fitness required for it, the schedules, and so on.

One might as well go to a Paris Hilton forum ("I didn't go to England, I went to London") and say theoretical physicists are dumb.

Now I've seen it all...

Anthony_Gonzales

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 06 Jan 2013, 23:52

I don't get your point. No one here is a professional cricketer. We aren't saying that cricketers are the pinnacle of athletic achievement.

As for your "most cricketers would not survive..." comment - it's about as relevant as saying "Novak wouldn't take strike against Morne Morkel and Mitchell Johnson".

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Sun 06 Jan 2013, 23:56

Of course cricketers aren't as fit as tennis players

But to suggest that steaming in full pelt 90-120 times a day places as hot as India does not require stamina is crazy.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Tennis Players. Greedy AND soft. Just ask Andy. - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Mon 07 Jan 2013, 00:46

[quote="JGK"

As for your "most cricketers would not survive..." comment - it's about as relevant as saying "Novak wouldn't take strike against Morne Morkel and Mitchell Johnson".[/quote]

I meant not from the skills view point, but purely from the amount of physical stress exerted in just a tennis training session - the level of fitness required.

Having watched some top tennis players live (and of course lot more on the TV), it is amazing how these guys keep slugging it out hour after hour - and you know how much physical energy is being spent. You can't help but have this feeling of awe at the fitness of these guys. It almost seems unreal at times.

But then when you read about the training and fitness regimes of top sportsmen (Jahangir Khan who went unbeaten in professional squash for more than five years, as an example) or some top tennis players - that alone seems unreal. So awe inspiring.

I just thought it was very odd that there would be a comment about tennis players being soft on a cricket forum, of all places.

I see Andy mentioned at the top of this thread. Despite his various issues, when it comes to fitness, there are not many in tennis who surpass him.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 07 Jan 2013, 01:12

the comment was prolly to do with his attitude and not his fitness..as in strong scot but soft brit..

having played both games - admittedly at appalling levels of skills, application and fitness - I found a day's keeping in high 30's temperature more draining than a game of tennis (tho I was not playing 5 setters)...recovery from both experiences was the same - an ice bath consistenting of an esky(cooler) full of the non sponsor's beer products

after a day in the field on a hot day or a rare long innings I'd get home via the pub and then lie in a cold bath listening to classical music while draining a few more of the non sponsors beer products
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Mon 07 Jan 2013, 01:46

Anthony_Gonzales wrote:
JGK wrote:

As for your "most cricketers would not survive..." comment - it's about as relevant as saying "Novak wouldn't take strike against Morne Morkel and Mitchell Johnson".

I meant not from the skills view point, but purely from the amount of physical stress exerted in just a tennis training session - the level of fitness required.

Having watched some top tennis players live (and of course lot more on the TV), it is amazing how these guys keep slugging it out hour after hour - and you know how much physical energy is being spent. You can't help but have this feeling of awe at the fitness of these guys. It almost seems unreal at times.

But then when you read about the training and fitness regimes of top sportsmen (Jahangir Khan who went unbeaten in professional squash for more than five years, as an example) or some top tennis players - that alone seems unreal. So awe inspiring.

I just thought it was very odd that there would be a comment about tennis players being soft on a cricket forum, of all places.

I see Andy mentioned at the top of this thread. Despite his various issues, when it comes to fitness, there are not many in tennis who surpass him.

It probably is.
baggygreen
baggygreen

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Mon 07 Jan 2013, 04:18

While we are on this topic, thought I'd mention the dubious pleasure I had of witnessing the training session of an international cricket team.

Between the usual things like batting nets etc, there was a lot of sitting and goofing around, sharing of jokes etc. All of this was too much exertion so after a while a couple of boys (or maybe more, didn't count them) brought tea in cups neatly placed on trays. After tea, there was some leisurely catching practice.

A football was produced from somewhere and some of them kicked it around - at a level not that higher than that of a dad out with his eight year old at the park.

You might guess (correctly) that it was India - but remember we are still talking about a top ranked professional cricket team.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 07 Jan 2013, 04:19

Tennis players today are soft. If you look back to the beginning of the open era, all matches were played over 5 sets with no tiebreaks. And thernow was no sitting when changing ends.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Mon 07 Jan 2013, 04:37

In non grand slam events, you have to play matches on consecutive days - not once of course but for top players, several in a row. Many times you see a grueling semi final and then someone like Djokovic back at the court within 18 hours or so - fit as a fiddle, blasting away in the final, with his usual amazing retrieving powers.

In grand slams, there is a day's break, but the matches are best of five. And the number of matches to be played is more. And in the US Open, you don't get even a day's break between the semis and the finals.

Not uncommon at all for a top player to be at the next tournament within a couple of days or so.

I cringe when I hear test matches with three days breaks referred to as "back to back" by the players and the media. Bear in mind, pretty much every player gets around a couple of days rest within a test match, sitting in the dressing room. Even then you have guys who have to be "rested" because the next match is 'only' three days apart. Wow.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 07 Jan 2013, 04:49

Anthony_Gonzales wrote:

I cringe when I hear test matches with three days breaks referred to as "back to back" by the players and the media. Bear in mind, pretty much every player gets around a couple of days rest within a test match, sitting in the dressing room. Even then you have guys who have to be "rested" because the next match is 'only' three days apart. Wow.

So tell me about your fast bowling career..........
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Mon 07 Jan 2013, 05:00

No one here has any pretensions to be anything special in any sport. I think that is understood. The point is about the comparison of sports.

Not too long ago, the New Year test used to start on 2nd Jan. Now it starts a day later. In time, I can see it stretched to even 5th Jan, as a five day rest would be deemed insufficient. It is not as if guys who used to play cricket (and that included bowling) before came from different planets.

I think not many would doubt that cricket is becoming softer and softer. You know something is wrong when the operative word becomes rest, in a sport which already has leisurely schedules - vacations built in within tours, people going back home, coming back during it- and on and on.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 07 Jan 2013, 05:18

For just about any internet mouse-wrangler (including, even especially, the likes of myself) to call just about any active sports participant 'soft', well and truly fits the 'Paris Hilton called Stephen Hawking dumb' category, but in most cases the comment is a whole lot more about Paris than Stephen.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 07 Jan 2013, 05:27

From Fairfax today:

It all started with Rafael Nadal's post-Christmas announcement that his comeback remained on hold because of a stomach virus suffered three weeks out from the Australian Open - although the suspicion persists that it was a knee-related version of Kevin Sheedy's famous Windy Hill flu.

Then world No. 2 Maria Sharapova travelled to a tournament it seems she was never going to contest, with reports of a Tuesday evening dinner booking at a Melbourne restaurant before she had even advised organisers in Brisbane that she would be unfit to play her opening match due to an inflamed collarbone.

Most bizarrely, top seed Victoria Azarenka pulled out in Brisbane barely an hour before her marquee semi-final against Williams, the victim of a pedicure gone wrong on her right big toe. If you are a patron who had paid more than $100 to see the clash of the heavyweights and had had to settle for Pavyluchenkova versus Lesia Tsurenko as the sole item on a not-so-big-ticket Friday night bill, you are a patron who may not be queueing for a ticket next year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/noshows-a-go-for-the-openminded-20130106-2cb4x.html#ixzz2HGSlzdzk

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 07 Jan 2013, 05:33

Anthony_Gonzales wrote:No one here has any pretensions to be anything special in any sport. I think that is understood. The point is about the comparison of sports.

My point was that if you haven't lived in a fast bowers boots you frankly can't scoff at their need for recovery time.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next