Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

+21
Basil
Merlin
Paul Keating
Henry
G.Wood
lardbucket
PeterCS
Anthony_Gonzales
The One
JGK
Lara Lara Laughs
Big Dog
tricycle
taipan
horace
embee
Brass Monkey
furriner
spangler
skully
LeFromage
25 posters

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next

Go down

OT: Favourite Current Television Programme? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sun 09 Jun 2013, 19:38

I logged in to make sure Danny was aware of the new Poirot starting in half an hour.

It does overlap with this hyped new French zombie thing on C4 though.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

OT: Favourite Current Television Programme? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 20:19

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I logged in to make sure Danny was aware of the new Poirot starting in half an hour.

Hell yeah! I'm watching it now. Cheers for the heads up
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 09 Jun 2013, 21:53

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I logged in to make sure Danny was aware of the new Poirot starting in half an hour.

C4+1 anyone?

4seven later in the week?

Catch up TV?

PVR?

Sky+?

The modern world allows you have your Poirot and eat your French zombies.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 13 Aug 2013, 23:11

Here it is, Laz.

If you can be arsed to go through it all...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 30 Sep 2013, 22:47

Does anyone watch The Newsroom?

I am seriously in love with Emily Mortimer's character.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 15 Jan 2014, 14:46

True Detective just started on HBO this week. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Saw the first episode. Not bad. Promising.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 15 Jan 2014, 15:42

damn. those 2 are fantastic actors. going to have a watch

mcconaughey seems to be in an absolute golden period. killer joe, mud, dallas buyer's club. thank god he gave up those rom-coms

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 15 Jan 2014, 15:53

All of a sudden he's become an actor, after a career of coasting along as a by-the-numbers love interest.

LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 15 Jan 2014, 18:07

And what happened to Sasha.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Tue 28 Jan 2014, 01:23

Dello wrote:True Detective just started on HBO this week. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Saw the first episode. Not bad. Promising.

Watched the first two episodes. Very good. Dialogues are well written too.

McConaughey has become an actor.

Anthony_Gonzales

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 28 Jan 2014, 03:01

Third episode down (it's not back for two weeks now due to some American thing - four hours of adverts interspersed with brief snippets of wrong rugby) and I'm sold on this.

Slow moving, dialogue heavy, achingly cinematic - it's No Country For Old Men in TV form.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Tue 28 Jan 2014, 03:32

It is just a 8 episode season though. Next season, the major cast will be different.

Yes, that is a good analogy.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 28 Jan 2014, 06:25

Anyone given the Spacey version of House of Cards a look? Quality TV.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105901
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 28 Jan 2014, 06:38

Think I mentioned it some months back.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 28 Jan 2014, 07:39

S2 starts in the States on Feb 14.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 28 Jan 2014, 07:58

Anthony_Gonzales wrote:It is just a 8 episode season though. Next season, the major cast will be different.

It's an interesting approach, a new cast every season to tell a different story, under the "True Detective" banner. I wonder if there'll be some overlap, here and there, with Rust or Marty making an appearance in whoever's investigating the next chapter.

But eight episodes - basically four movies' worth of time - seems a good fit for the kind of character study the show's going for. Not sure Rust could keep up his bleak, world weary, nihilistic persona for five seasons without sucking on the end of a revolver.

I was confident it was going to be decent as soon as the opening theme tune kicked in.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 28 Jan 2014, 08:01

skully wrote:Anyone given the Spacey version of House of Cards a look? Quality TV.

Adapted from a British miniseries. I've considered it.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 28 Jan 2014, 08:07

Dello wrote:
skully wrote:Anyone given the Spacey version of House of Cards a look? Quality TV.

Adapted from a British miniseries.  

Aye, hence my qualification. Worth a squiz IMHO. Meanders a bit in the later eps of S1, but eminently watchable.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 28 Jan 2014, 08:08

skully wrote:
Dello wrote:

Adapted from a British miniseries.  

Aye, hence my qualification. Worth a squiz IMHO.

I hav'nt seen the American version but i hear Spacey is excellent.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 28 Jan 2014, 08:13

Aye, top shelf actor who pulls off the influential southern pollie role brilliantly.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Tue 28 Jan 2014, 16:39

Dello wrote:
Anthony_Gonzales wrote:It is just a 8 episode season though. Next season, the major cast will be different.

It's an interesting approach, a new cast every season to tell a different story, under the "True Detective" banner. I wonder if there'll be some overlap, here and there, with Rust or Marty making an appearance in whoever's investigating the next chapter.

But eight episodes - basically four movies' worth of time - seems a good fit for the kind of character study the show's going for. Not sure Rust could keep up his bleak, world weary, nihilistic persona for five seasons without sucking on the end of a revolver.

I was confident it was going to be decent as soon as the opening theme tune kicked in.

Yes, precisely. Since it is not purely a whodunit kind of thing and as much if not more of a character study of Rust, they can't possibly keep going it that long. Quality over quantity. Plus I don't think someone like Harrelson would ever do a long running tv show, season after season, without devaluing himself big time.

Alexandra Daddario isn't bad to look at Smile

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Tue 28 Jan 2014, 16:41

Spacey - I think he is fine enough actor, and I like him. But he mostly does similar kind of roles - smartass, with a mean streak, with a certain facial expression, etc etc.

He does not have the range of truly great actors like Daniel Day Lewis or Meryl Streep or DeNiro back when he used to do movies for more than just cash.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 28 Jan 2014, 16:57

But that's the nub of it. Pretty much every actor has to keep the pot boiling with more weak roles (schematically delivered from the travelling bag of tricks) than challenging star roles (perfect for demonstrating range, flair and excellence).

The puffed-up but always interesting reviewer Mark Kermode said of Spacey that when he's good, he's very, very good, but when he's bad, he stinks the place out.

There are - by economic necessity as much as anything - few actors who entirely escape that problem.

As De Niro once simply remarked (with a shrug) when challenged why he too often took undemanding parts: "I got bills to pay."
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 28 Jan 2014, 18:55

Anthony_Gonzales wrote:
Dello wrote:

Yes, precisely. Since it is not purely a whodunit kind of thing and as much if not more of a character study of Rust, they can't possibly keep going it that long. Quality over quantity. Plus I don't think someone like Harrelson would ever do a long running tv show, season after season, without devaluing himself big time.

Alexandra Daddario isn't bad to look at Smile

Harrelson?

Yeah right. He only did 8 years in Cheers.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony_Gonzales Tue 28 Jan 2014, 21:29

I didn't know that, but I looked up and that was from 85-93. He wasn't much of name in movies for most of those years.

Anthony_Gonzales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next