Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only Two Test Matches in India This Winter

+12
LeFromage
Basil
Ash
JKLever
THICKEDGE
leg glancer
lardbucket
Batman
SG
HH_pink
tac
Growler
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Only Two Test Matches in India This Winter - Page 3 Empty Re: Only Two Test Matches in India This Winter

Post by tac Thu 27 Mar 2008, 07:54

horrie still trying to undermine batman's credibility by agreeing with him . . . Laughing
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Only Two Test Matches in India This Winter - Page 3 Empty Re: Only Two Test Matches in India This Winter

Post by lardbucket Thu 27 Mar 2008, 07:54

Batman wrote:If Aus wanted they could easily have gotten India to play 5 tests in the recent edition and could have scrapped a couple of meaningless rounds off [hell, even 1 round] off the CB triangular series.....

Absolutely, the annual ODI beanfest was and always has been a pointless exercise ... but India would have had to agree to the extra Test in advance. Recent events show that this wasn't likely.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 27 Mar 2008, 07:56

lardbucket wrote:
Batman wrote:If Aus wanted they could easily have gotten India to play 5 tests in the recent edition and could have scrapped a couple of meaningless rounds off [hell, even 1 round] off the CB triangular series.....

Absolutely, the annual ODI beanfest was and always has been a pointless exercise ... but India would have had to agree to the extra Test in advance. Recent events show that this wasn't likely.

suspect the money men of world cricket wanted the ODIs and not a five test series
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 27 Mar 2008, 07:58

horace wrote:
lardbucket wrote:

suspect the money men of world cricket wanted the ODIs and not a five test series

Do you reckon? Some of the CB series games hardly attract . . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 27 Mar 2008, 08:00

tac wrote:

And how the fark does that little piece of pointless conjecture have any reference to the Eng v Ind 2 test scandal . . .

Given that the Border Gavaskar Trophy has become the second biggest test series in the Aus calender after Ashes this last decade, one would have thought the Aussies would have loved to play more tests than JAMODIs with India, but fact is everyone is happy playing more JAMODIs these days when the opportunity knocks except perhaps the Pommies.....
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 27 Mar 2008, 08:02

Batman wrote:
tac wrote:

And how the fark does that little piece of pointless conjecture have any reference to the Eng v Ind 2 test scandal . . .

Given that the Border Gavaskar Trophy ahs become the second greatest test series after Ashes this last decade, one would have thought the Ausies would have loved to play more tests than JAODIs with India, but fact is everyone is happy playing more JAMODIs these days when the opportunity knocks excpet perhaps the Pommies.....

And the Aussies have scrapped the CB series and less ODIs will be played from next year (by cutting out the tri-nation aspect of the series) . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 27 Mar 2008, 09:42

lardbucket wrote:

The BCCI would agree for more tests with Australia in the blinking of an eye, like they agree for more ODIs with Pakistan. Our rivalries are more test centric with Australia, while being ODI centric with Pak.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Mar 2008, 09:48

doremi wrote:
lardbucket wrote:

The BCCI would agree for more tests with Australia in the blinking of an eye, like they agree for more ODIs with Pakistan. Our rivalries are more test centric with Australia, while being ODI centric with Pak.

Total BS.

It is only a few months since the Indian posters were claiming Ind/Pak was bigger than the Ashes
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 27 Mar 2008, 11:11

Batman wrote:Whatever, I think BCCI should not accomodate this request and get ECB to stick to it's contractual obligations and not scrap a single game off the list. Indian players don't make bones playing away from home when some national festivals are around.

Batman, I respectfully suggest you revisit my link.

Nowhere does the report mention a request from the ECB to cancel a test match. It specifically states the tour was November - December, and that the BCCI themselves are saying that it's the timing of the Champions trophy forcing THEM to cancel a test match.

On reflection, I can see the argument for wishing to keep the ODIs to give people in outlying regions to see some international cricket.

Last edited by Growler on Thu 27 Mar 2008, 11:32; edited 1 time in total
Growler
Growler

Only Two Test Matches in India This Winter - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Mar 2008, 11:13

Growler wrote:
Batman wrote:Whatever, I think BCCI should not accomodate this request and get ECB to stick to it's contractual obligations and not scrap a single game off the list. Indian players don't make bones playing away from home when some national festivals are around.

Nowhere does the report mention a request from the ECB to cancel a test match. It specifically states the tour was November - December, and that the BCCI themselves are saying that it's the timing of the Champions trophy forcing THEM to cancel a test match.

On reflection, I can see the argument for wishing to keep the ODIs to give people in outlying regions to see someinternational cricket.

Don't let the facts etc....
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 27 Mar 2008, 11:32

Ach, sorry taips - whatever was I thinking of. Silly me Embarassed
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 27 Mar 2008, 12:05

taipan wrote:
Growler wrote:

On reflection, I can see the argument for wishing to keep the ODIs to give people in outlying regions to see someinternational cricket.

Don't let the facts etc....

Just fark off you farking Wind up merchant......

I am not the only one here tal
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Mar 2008, 12:08

Growler wrote:Ach, sorry taips - whatever was I thinking of. Silly me Embarassed

Was actually referring to our Indian colleagues.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Fri 28 Mar 2008, 10:40

Growler wrote:

On reflection, I can see the argument for wishing to keep the ODIs to give people in outlying regions to see some international cricket.

"The England players want to return home for Christmas and the second Test is scheduled to finish on December 23", Shah pointed out.

Problems on both sides.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Fri 28 Mar 2008, 11:22

doremi wrote:
Growler wrote:

"The England players want to return home for Christmas and the second Test is scheduled to finish on December 23", Shah pointed out.

Problems on both sides.

Exactly what you wouldn't expect Taipworm to see. So myopic is his subi-hatred. Like he said a post earlier....Why let facts get in the way of a good.....

:very angry emoticon:
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri 28 Mar 2008, 16:48

See Pg 3 of this Link

The Tour was always scheduled to finish before Christmas - it isn't a case of England being awkward.

The qoute fron Niranjan Shah about the second test must be referring to the amended schedule - which presumably would have been the third one in the original itinary. There still doesn't seem an obvious reason to cancel a test - it would still be only 22 days cricket in a 49 day tour - but a 2 Test series is pretty meaningless IMO.

After the ICCCT, Aus are in India for 4 weeks maximum according to the calender (in reality maybe nearer 5 weeks) - but scheduled for a 4-Test series. That means they will be virtually all back-to-back. That's an incredibly tough itinary.... 20 days cricket in just over 30 .... insane planning Rolling Eyes
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri 28 Mar 2008, 18:53

Growler, bottom line is that although the tour cant be bought forwards it can pushed back/extended...and, from that report, theres only one team unwilling to budge on that.

i dont think its official yet so hopefully common sense prevails and we get a 3 match series. having said that, i cant recall an exciting ind-eng series (played in india)...its been pretty attritional stuff tbh, so perhaps no great loss
Ash
Ash

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri 28 Mar 2008, 19:19

Thats very true Ash.

It's not so long ago that professional sportsmen actually made a few sacrifices for the honour of playing for their country. As has been pointed out already - christmas abroad isn't an issue when we're playing 5 tests v Aus or SA, so granted, we could stay another 10 days or so if the ECB really wanted to.

Maybe it's time the ECB put the first XI desire to the test. Full tour, or have the winter off - I'm sure there will be no shortage of players willing to tour for the chance of a cap.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3