Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not?

+28
beamer
lardbucket
Jontyh
JKLever
freddled gruntbuggly
Geoffrey Trueman
horace
spangler
Merlin
furriner
JGK
embee
Chivalry Augustus
DJ_Smerk
Lara Lara Laughs
PearlJ
Mick Sawyer
Invader Zim
eowyn
The One
tac
doremi
Big_Bad_Bob
Batman
skully
Brass Monkey
Henry
taipan
32 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not? - Page 3 Empty Re: So which forummers have actually been to tests or not?

Post by embee Mon 19 May 2008, 15:31

every time I have pointed out your gayness it was there ...wasn't your intent to be gay but gayness was there ...and you "didn't whinge" ...FFS ...you were absolutely Dubi
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not? - Page 3 Empty Re: So which forummers have actually been to tests or not?

Post by spangler Mon 19 May 2008, 21:46

The last one I've been to was the Sunday of the England India test at Lords, been to a couple of ODIs at Lords and Oval and saw some real cricket at the Tsunami charity matches agains at Lords and Oval a couple of years ago
spangler
spangler

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not? - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 20 May 2008, 00:42

cant expect to turn up at the ground on the day of the match, walk up to the counter and buy a ticket

Who'd want to attend a match where you can?

Sri Lanka would be fantastic place to be on tour. I've thought seriously about joining a group for Aus's last couple of visits there - few doubts that it will happen sometime before my lights shut down permanently.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 20 May 2008, 00:47

Merlin wrote:All Lord's tests every year (all 5 days against the Aussies, otherwise first 2 days then Monday), occasionally the Oval, Edgbaston and OT here.
Overseas ... (over a few years - NOT in 2006/7 thank Gawd) the Gabba, the WACA, Sydney and Melbourne (missed Adelaide which, I'm told, is similar to Lord's); Bombay, Madras, Colombo; Bridgetown and Antigua; Cape Town and Durban.
Holiday destinations are primarily determined by where test cricket is taking place!

That's an impressive list - it would take me 4 lifetimes - good for you.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 May 2008, 02:26

have attended countless tests in OZ
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffrey Trueman Tue 20 May 2008, 03:51

Blimey, and there was me thinking one day at every Headingley test since the mid 70s might be considered lightweight. I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of interest in watching test cricket 'live'. As for finky, the lad's a disgrace...

Brass Monkey wrote:I've been to Tests, but they're somewhat overhyped. Haven't been for 4 years. When I did go last, there was about 30 overs of boring play and a plethora of drinking games. Cost £50 ticket, £25 for travel and about £80 on food and drink. So that's about a ton 50 for something I could do(for the most part) back home for not much. Could I guarantee the weather and the calibre of cricket, I could be tempted again, but it would probably cost me nearer to £250 this time...

Well, you've certainly gone down in my estimations. There can be no excuses for a single lad like you, especially when they've got as much to say about the game as you have. Why does it have to be so expensive? Unless you are eating 'a la carte' and drinking champagne your '£80 on food and drink' and 'it would probably cost me nearer to £250 this time' statements are total bollocks. Not that you would be able to drink them all but 10 pints would cost less than 40 quid. Throw in the obligatory dodgy burger and portion of chips and you'd struggle to spend £50, a packed lunch would make it even cheaper as well.

I just don't get it, what sort of bloke/cricket fan makes excuses to miss a day out on the lash with his mates watching his country playing the game he supposedly loves, eh? After reading your comments above I can only assume you're nowt but the cricketing equivalent of a 'part-time' football fan. Shocking.
Geoffrey Trueman
Geoffrey Trueman

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 May 2008, 08:32

Geoffrey Trueman wrote: As for finky, the lad's a disgrace...

Brass Monkey wrote:I've been to Tests, but they're somewhat overhyped. Haven't been for 4 years. When I did go last, there was about 30 overs of boring play and a plethora of drinking games. Cost £50 ticket, £25 for travel and about £80 on food and drink. So that's about a ton 50 for something I could do(for the most part) back home for not much. Could I guarantee the weather and the calibre of cricket, I could be tempted again, but it would probably cost me nearer to £250 this time...

Well, you've certainly gone down in my estimations. There can be no excuses for a single lad like you, especially when they've got as much to say about the game as you have. Why does it have to be so expensive? Unless you are eating 'a la carte' and drinking champagne your '£80 on food and drink' and 'it would probably cost me nearer to £250 this time' statements are total bollocks. Not that you would be able to drink them all but 10 pints would cost less than 40 quid. Throw in the obligatory dodgy burger and portion of chips and you'd struggle to spend £50, a packed lunch would make it even cheaper as well.

I just don't get it, what sort of bloke/cricket fan makes excuses to miss a day out on the lash with his mates watching his country playing the game he supposedly loves, eh? After reading your comments above I can only assume you're nowt but the cricketing equivalent of a 'part-time' football fan. Shocking.

Um, wind your neck in Trueist... I've already mentioned how much money I spend on sport. Countless Northants games - CC, OD and T20, Cobblers season ticket holder, away Cobblers supporter and a Saints regular(when it doesn't clash with the Cobblers). I spend upwards of one and a half grand on those lot. Furthermore, I'm not single. Furthermore, I've got a mortgage on a flat and rent on a shared house... so, I'm not rich and that pretty much tanks me - given that I go out on the razzle on the weekend, and the week. The 80 sheets included snouts and greens, it wouldn't be an event without that sort of scenario. Don't get me wrong, I'd go again to a Test but a) the tickets go like hotcakes and b) I'd like to be able to pick and choose which one - London's a hassle, which pretty much means Birmingham to me - so I've the opportunity once a year to be able to get tickets. As for the 250, yeah I was probably being a bit dramatic but ticket prices have soared, as have train prices, so it would cost more.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Tue 20 May 2008, 09:31

eowyn wrote:... does anyone fancy babysitting?
Not if there's cricket on somewhere.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not? - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 20 May 2008, 11:57

Just been to the NZ test at Lords and try to get to the Lords test every other year if i can.

Yes, it's the stuffiest of all venues full of prawn sandwich munchers but it's definitely an event if you're into your cricket. Although Edgbaston is much recommended if you go just to get bladdered.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 May 2008, 12:02

JKLever wrote:Just been to the NZ test at Lords and try to get to the Lords test every other year if i can.

Yes, it's the stuffiest of all venues full of prawn sandwich munchers but it's definitely an event if you're into your cricket. Although Edgbaston is much recommended if you go just to get bladdered.

**tips nose and points at Lever**

Though, it's quite good to get tanked at Lord's too. I don't get too muntered though, or I don't remember the creekeet.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Tue 20 May 2008, 12:14

Too much ale can ruin it. I went to OT a few years back with my dad and a few mates and there was a group of blokes in front of us getting properly stuck into the sauce. At first it was amusing, but a couple of hours in they were just talking tedious bollocks, bordering on being offensive, and being generally tiresome. No problem with people having a good time and enjoying themselves - that's what it's all about - but these cocks that aren't actually interested in the crickit spoil it for everyone else. My old man's not been back since.
Jontyh
Jontyh

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 May 2008, 12:29

Agreed. Though when I used to go with my lot, they used to get steamed... a few doobies usually sorted them out though and quitened them down.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 20 May 2008, 12:31

In my experience by 2pm 30% of the crowd are more intent on getting trashed than watching the cricket...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 25 Jan 2023, 12:25

Just before Christmas I saw every ball of a Test ... the Gabba game v the Sith didn't take long!

Going back, the First Test match I ever attended was the 1974-75 Ashes Test in Melbourne, the only game we lost. Denness made 188, Fletcher 146, Greig 89, and Walker took 8 for ... we were useless with the bat.

Since then I've been to one Test at the WACA (1979-80, Dymock 6-38, easy win); a couple of days of one in Sydney (2010-11, Khawaja's debut, we lost dismally), a day in Adelaide v a weak Indian side in 2011-12, several days of Tests in Hobart over many years, multiple Tests and days in Melbourne and Brisbane also over many years, most days of the only two Tests played in Cairns, but nothing yet in Darwin, Canberra, or the new Perth stadium. I've been to a T20 and several ODIs in Cairns, too, the latter most recently in September last year, two ODIs. In the UK (all since 2013) I've managed to attend a few days at Trent Bridge (we lost both times I've been) including THAT spell by Broad on my second visit, a few more days at Manchester (JGK and Peter were also present although I have only dim memories of the end of that match after drinking my quota and more later in the night with Jonty), and a couple of days at Lords and The Oval. One of the days I attended at Lords was entirely washed out; that was a downer after I'd flown over more or less especially for that day. I have yet to see Tests played at The Rose Bowl, Chester-Le-Street, Headingly, Edgbaston, or Cardiff; or anywhere outside Australia and the UK.

I've been very lucky and have also spent a fair bit of my hard-earned cash to accumulate all that experience. Bay 13 back in the 70's was a blast, especially those games v the West Indies.

If I ever get to any more overseas tests, I'm hoping they'll be in the Caribbean.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 25 Jan 2023, 13:10

embee wrote:every time I have pointed out your gayness it was there ...wasn't your intent to be gay but gayness was there ...and you "didn't whinge" ...FFS ...you were absolutely Dubi

LOL, the bargearse SGWT has been stalking me since 2008. I'm sure his middle name is Nigel. pmsl
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 25 Jan 2023, 16:33

youve been a sgdt way before 2008

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 25 Jan 2023, 21:54

The SGWT and SGDT glossary entries resonate!

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 25 Jan 2023, 22:07

Haven’t been since 2019 now, recently remembered I still have some credit from the cancelled Trent Bridge Test of 2020 (hope Notts remember as well!) Disappointing the ground missed out on the Ashes again this year, and I didn’t get around to entering the Edgbaston ballot. Have been to one the majority of years in the previous couple of decades (with the odd JAMODI to fill the gaps).

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 26 Jan 2023, 02:12

I went to my first test aged eight. Have seen cricket in a number of states and in the Windies. I do fear for its future though.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 26 Jan 2023, 03:43

MCG countless, SCG & Gabba both last time 94-95, Adelaide once (2010), Perth once (1979-80)
Lords 73, 74, 75, 93, Oval 73, 75, 12, OT & Leeds both 1993. First day at a Test was the day Lawry declared with Rod Marsh in the 90s

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 26 Jan 2023, 04:16

Rod was on 92 not out; what a great shame that was. Delayed the inevitable by a couple of years, but he did make 3 nineties (in three continents) first.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 26 Jan 2023, 06:49

Will never forget his 91 at Old Trafford in 1972 in a losing effort. My Dad and I were up in the wee small hours listening to Alan McGilvray and John Arlott on a crackly tranny radio. Bacchus marmalised Norman Gifford that night.

Good times.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31

lardbucket and Red like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 26 Jan 2023, 21:35

Lol. 1958/59. Went to one day of the second test and two or three days of the Fifth test

somewhere lost in the mists of time is the scorebook I'd been given for Xmas. I do remember trying to fill it but was too easily distracted. My heroes were McDonald, Grout and Meckiff. Benaud of course was God

The distractions were the banter in the crowd - something I have loved to this day.

horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Thu 26 Jan 2023, 22:56

Annually at least one day of the Sydney Test match.
One of these Summers will try to get a Test match in a different State.

Blackadder

So which forummers have actually been to tests or not? - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alloysimian Fri 10 Feb 2023, 20:26

lardbucket wrote:Just before Christmas I saw every ball of a Test ... the Gabba game v the Sith didn't take long!

Going back, the First Test match I ever attended was the 1974-75 Ashes Test in Melbourne, the only game we lost. Denness made 188, Fletcher 146, Greig 89, and Walker took 8 for ... we were useless with the bat.

Since then I've been to one Test at the WACA (1979-80, Dymock 6-38, easy win); a couple of days of one in Sydney (2010-11, Khawaja's debut, we lost dismally), a day in Adelaide v a weak Indian side in 2011-12, several days of Tests in Hobart over many years, multiple Tests and days in Melbourne and Brisbane also over many years, most days of the only two Tests played in Cairns, but nothing yet in Darwin, Canberra, or the new Perth stadium. I've been to a T20 and several ODIs in Cairns, too, the latter most recently in September last year, two ODIs.  In the UK (all since 2013) I've managed to attend a few days at Trent Bridge (we lost both times I've been) including THAT spell by Broad on my second visit, a few more days at Manchester (JGK and Peter were also present although I have only dim memories of the end of that match after drinking my quota and more later in the night with Jonty), and a couple of days at Lords and The Oval. One of the days I attended at Lords was entirely washed out; that was a downer after I'd flown over more or less especially for that day.  I have yet to see Tests played at The Rose Bowl, Chester-Le-Street, Headingly, Edgbaston, or Cardiff; or anywhere outside Australia and the UK.

I've been very lucky and have also spent a fair bit of my hard-earned cash to accumulate all that experience. Bay 13 back in the 70's was a blast, especially those games v the West Indies.

If I ever get to any more overseas tests, I'm hoping they'll be in the Caribbean.

Myself and Nardsucket had a good non-Test viewing, one million Ashes ago, when the mighty N'hants flayed the Aussies. Neither of us cared about the content happening in the match, apart from the odd spectacular shot. Nor should we have. They're almost a day long throw down. The end.

Alloysimian

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2022-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next