Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katich cut from CA contract list

+25
Fred Nerk
PeterCS
simkat
Paul Keating
Basil
G.Wood
horace
Big Dog
furriner
LeFromage
lardbucket
beamer
JKLever
Brass Monkey
Tedwardio
Red
Zat
Bradman
skully
doremi
Mick Sawyer
taipan
JGK
embee
Henry
29 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 5 Empty Re: Katich cut from CA contract list

Post by Fred Nerk Fri 10 Jun 2011, 08:50

The film of the same name.

Towards the end, as Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy are about to enter the trading floor of the Stock Exchange (or whatever it's called in NYC) and take down the Dukes and buy a small Caribbean island with the proceeds, Dan tells Eddie to expect 'white hot noise, utter chaos and total competitiveness like you'll never find at the Superbowl'.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 5 Empty Re: Katich cut from CA contract list

Post by horace Fri 10 Jun 2011, 08:52

that's right...ta...a great moment
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 10 Jun 2011, 08:54

Fred Nerk wrote:The film of the same name.

Towards the end, as Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy are about to enter the trading floor of the Stock Exchange (or whatever it's called in NYC) and take down the Dukes and buy a small Caribbean island with the proceeds, Dan tells Eddie to expect 'white hot noise, utter chaos and total competitiveness like you'll never find at the Superbowl'.

Um, NYSE?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 10 Jun 2011, 08:55

I think when they built the great southern stand the powers that be thought that could eliminate Bay 13. yes they knocked down the concrete but not the memories or its fun and spirit
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:00

As I recall they flew the Sir Richard the Masturbator over from NZ, stuck a hard hat on him, gave him a crash five-minute course in driving a 'dozer and filmed him making the first strike in knocking Bay 13 down. All for the 7 News.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:04

It was one of the very few times cricket was allowed to encroach on the process.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tedwardio Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:20

Ha ha - sock it to them Katich.

I still think it was the right decision to drop Katich - I dont give the selectors any credit for it though as they haven't shown any thought process behind it at all.

I wonder if this rules Katich out for a role in the new selectors panel - it usually goes to former players.

Tedwardio

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:33

Actually I think Katich is slightly on the unfortunate side. He hasn't been the worst Aussie player over the past few years.

Maybe his relationship with Clarke has something to do with it.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:41

Yeah - maybe.

Fair dinkum, by the time the Net Noise has finished with that story about that pissant dressing room five-minute handbag swinging session it will be World War III.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:19

I don't get the Aussie obsession with dumping older players before their time.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tedwardio Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:23

JKLever wrote:I don't get the Aussie obsession with dumping older players before their time.

Probably stems from the fact we gave England so much stick for standing by Gooch and Gatting for so long...

Tedwardio

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:29

Yet Gooch had his best years in his late 30's!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 13:13

Aye. Krabich was one that I feared could blunt our attack. Shambles of Aus' NSP continues on and on - quality story from Cricinfo on it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 10 Jun 2011, 13:17

I enjoyed Fleas' spray during his press conference. Compared the NSP to Bannie monkeys and said Hildick was a qunt. Well, almost.

Had to laugh when the reporter finished the story with "Katich is hoping that a mountain of Shield runs will get him a Test recall". Erm, I think he may have crueled any chance of a Test spot with his forthright comments.

Lots of rumours doing the rounds that neither Pup or Drunky have contacted Fleas with commiz thoughts. Perhaps the lack of love between the new and old skipper and Fleas played a big part.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Sat 11 Jun 2011, 02:33

This all surprises me.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 5 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 11 Jun 2011, 02:46

Both the cutting of Kat, and Kat clawing back?

Or do you mean the shameful amateurism of all the contributions on this thread? Wink
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 11 Jun 2011, 02:47

taipan wrote:

Um, NYSE?

I think it was actually the Chicago Futures Exchange.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 11 Jun 2011, 02:56

OP Tipping wrote:This all surprises me.
I suspect OP is surprised that FB is still going...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 11 Jun 2011, 06:58

It's like a coachroach. You can't kill it.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 11 Jun 2011, 09:06

Bradman wrote:
taipan wrote:

Um, NYSE?

I think it was actually the Chicago Futures Exchange.

Just did a quick Google - according to Wiki the film was mostly set in Philadelphia but the final showdown was at the NY Mercantile Exchange.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 09:59

JKLever wrote:I don't get the Aussie obsession with dumping older players before their time.

Simon Katich wrote:"There's been talk about that (full-time selectors) for a while now but nothing's been done about it. It's a business, there's no doubt about that, that's just the way sport has gone. Being realistic it's got to go that way, because you're dealing with guys' careers. This is not just me, there's plenty of other guys out there as well who've gone through this. When you talk about money you get the best in the business for paying. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. So maybe something good will come out of this situation.

"Technically I'm still contracted until the end of June 30. So no doubt the phone will ring and I'll probably have to answer for this. But at the same time, I'm not going to stand up here and lie about it all, because that's not going to help anyone moving forward. Hopefully the review, something good will come out of that review, because this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back."

"I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated with the decision I found out about on Tuesday but I also want to make it clear that I know I'm not the only player who has gone through this in the last couple of years due to inconsistent policies. I just hope that something good comes out of this situation because I actually think the decision that came on Tuesday was absolutely ridiculous.

"It certainly didn't come as a total shock on Tuesday, only because I know how they operate. I've been through this situation before. From my point of view, to hear the news was very disappointing, particularly because of the reason that was given. To be given the reason that it's because the opening partnership needs to bed down for 2013, when I know for a fact that Watto and I have thoroughly enjoyed opening together, and it's been one of the bright spots of our team in the last two years, I find it very hard to believe that [a new partnership needs to come in].

"This is not just about me but a number of players that have felt aggrieved at how they've been treated by the selectors in particular. Not just the selectors, by CA. There's people above the selectors that make the decisions on their futures and also our players' futures because they ratify the decisions that are made.

"I'm one of a number of players that will be in this situation. Having spoken to Paul Marsh, the ACA boss, there's actually no course of appeal against this happening. As a player we've got absolutely no way apart from legal proceedings to answer back."

"There needs to be more consistency, the facts are a week or two before the Ashes a squad of 17 was named. In my opinion if you can't know what your best 11 is a week or so before our biggest Test series that we play in the Ashes, that to me reeks of indecision.

"The fact that we've had 10 or 11 spinners in the last two or three years whatever it's been, obviously some have been through retirements and injury and stuff like that, that to me is another indicator of the inconsistency in selections. There's been rules for some and rules for others.

"I've got no doubt that it (the 17-man squad) did (unsettle the team) and I'm sure there'll be other players in the team saying the same thing because you've got so many guys looking over their shoulder about whether they would play or not. If you were to compare it to how England prepared, they were settled, they played the same team in all their warm-up games and no surprise that they had a very good campaign."

"As soon as he told me the reason, which was what was being trotted out in the press about wanting the opening partnership to bed down for the 2013 Ashes, that got me steaming obviously," said Katich. "Because to hear that when our opening partnership is something that's been one of the strong points of the team, and something that Watto and I actually really enjoy doing. I've received a really nice message from him, of support, and expressing his disappointment that we won't get to open again.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't (consider retirement). Every thought goes through your mind, and this isn't just something I've thought about since Tuesday because I know how they operate and I could see it coming. I've only had a four-minute conversation with Andrew Hilditch on Tuesday, and I haven't heard from anyone else at CA since, and I've been involved in the organisation since 1999."

There's 2 issues here - number 1, where Katich is right is that CA and the selectors have made massive mistakes - 17 man squad, axeing Hauritz, Steve Smith, not picking a spinner at the Oval, their composition seems to be wrong and they seem to have surrended power to the CA marketing men - Brett Lee on a central contract - really? So he talks some sense, but did he make these objections when he was inside the team and his opinion was worth hearing, or only now that's outside the tent and pissing onto it.

But then there is Katich being dropped, which was absolutely the right decision. Talk about a cry baby, he's railing against all the mistakes they have made while trying to ignore the fact that he deserves to be axed. They lost the Ashes convincingly, and the 3 key batsmen - the 'old guard' of Katich, Ponting and Hussey, 2 of their contributions was in the box marked f-all, and even the other - outstanding as he was seemed burned out by the end. Katich and Ponting couldn't keep fit for the full series, its a trend that will continue - he's 36 by the time the next Test comes around. Ponting should have gone the same way, but because of a dearth of talent and sentimental reasons about his past performances it looks like he's been given a stay of execution.

Katich the 34 year old put in some very good performances, but at that age you need to be doing something twice as good as your rivals - other batsmen like Nasser Hussain, Stephen Fleming, etc knew when it was time to go and didn't sully their career with a childish outburst and long farewell. And Katich the 35 year old hadn't performed. Putting to one side his 97 runs in 4 innings in the Ashes, you've got only 110 runs in 4 innings in India. In his last 10 innings he hadn't passed 50 once. To paraphrase Nick Griffin, his contributions to the team in the last year would fit neatly on the back of a medium-sized postage stamp, if I was inclined to be generous, which i'm not.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:23

Question from the cheap seats Gaz. And given you're more likely to be neutral-ish on this than many Aussies I'm interested in your answer. Did Kat deserve the axe more than some players still in the squad? D Hussey, M Hussey, R Ponting, P Hughes all leap to my mind.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:08

Zat wrote:Question from the cheap seats Gaz. And given you're more likely to be neutral-ish on this than many Aussies I'm interested in your answer. Did Kat deserve the axe more than some players still in the squad? D Hussey, M Hussey, R Ponting, P Hughes all leap to my mind.

I'm not sure he deserved it, especially in the context of a limited player who drained ever last drop from his talent. But his team were thrashed 3-1 and haven't played well for a long time (1-1 vs Pakistan, 0-2 in India). Of the 6 batsmen three of them are aged 36 or 37, so they surely needed to drop someone. Life is unfair and Katich has to go.

I think D Hussey is only in for the ODI stuff? Mike Hussey was your best batsman last summer, you can't really drop him as that would send out a message that form is meaningless and the selectors will do want they want regardless of performances.

I think Ponting should have been dropped. He may well come back and score runs, but for years and years Australia have had this sheer, bloody-minded, un-English selection policy. The captain is the best player, he forms part of the team and when he leaves there is no space for him in a team for him as a player. The team ethic is above all else, the players respect this and they may suddenly find their career over before they expected it because there is always someone good enough to take their place (e.g. Healy for Gilchrist, Langer for Slater, Clark for Gillespie). This dogma, has helped the Aussies to develop their aura and took years, decades maybe to develop. And now when times are hard it has been abandoned. So it is a sign of weakness, of sentimentality keeping Ponting. Is one player worth rewriting your whole ethos for?

Steve Waugh, a much better captain and to my mind a more effective batsman was never given such a sentimental ending - it was score runs or you'll be dropped. And only a last-chance saloon hundreds at Sharjah and Sydney kept him in the side and allowed him to pick his own departure date (though I still think this was a case of jump before you are pushed).

But then in the last 12-18 months they have totally abandoned their principles. The whole spinner debacle when every man and their dog can see that Hauritz is the best of a limited bunch underlines this. When the Aussies were ruthless, it used to be that players like Kasprowicz, Bichel, Lehmann even, over-achieved as they were part of a strong unit, the selectors backed their players and there were no bizarre left-field selections. As an England fan it is amusing to see how quickly this has disappeared. It shows the management really can shape the team (or at least ruin it), that there isn't necessarily and 'Australian' and 'English' way of doing things. If there is it has been lost.

On the matter of the team. You need to find and back your best 5 batsmen aged under 32, i.e. capable of at least 3-4 solid years service, preferably with a couple of these at least being younger. And pick them along with Hussey (until his eyes go) as carrying 3 blokes in the twilight of their career is never going to work. Its not the Australian way. As for who these players are - i'm not totally sure. You might have to go with Duncan Fletcher style hunches rather than relying on Sheffield Shield stats - as Phil Hughes seems to score so many runs domestically but then looks totally out of his depth against the likes of Bresnan or Tremlett.

Khawaja probably, Watson, although i'm still not convinced he's an opener. Clarke? He's not a captain, maybe as a batsman. So what you really need is a couple of quality openers. The keeping position is strong, and Siddle, Harris (if fit) and Hauritz the bowling attack isn't the worst. If well organised that team could still cause England, SA, India some problems - but only if they recover their Australianness.

For the captaincy, I saw all the application letters submitted in the last Ashes series, and have to say that Clarke's was possibly the least convincing. He doesn't seem to have the respect of the team or embody the qualities needed.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:48

Thanks Gaz. Points well put. And a lot I understand even though I don't agree 100% with all of it.

Of course, totally out of keeping with the character of the Bails.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:13

"For the captaincy, I saw all the application letters submitted in the last Ashes series, and have to say that Clarke's was possibly the least convincing. He doesn't seem to have the respect of the team or embody the qualities needed..

Hmmmm.....maybe but I hope that's based on more than the bagging he gets from ignoramuses (ignorami?) on media chat sites. Inside the shed, among the folk whose views he might need GAF about, it may be different. He wasn't bad for most of Ashes 09, frinstance....

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next