Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katich cut from CA contract list

+25
Fred Nerk
PeterCS
simkat
Paul Keating
Basil
G.Wood
horace
Big Dog
furriner
LeFromage
lardbucket
beamer
JKLever
Brass Monkey
Tedwardio
Red
Zat
Bradman
skully
doremi
Mick Sawyer
taipan
JGK
embee
Henry
29 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 7 Empty Re: Katich cut from CA contract list

Post by skully Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:23

Beer's selection was a snap shot of the cluelessness that has befallen the Aus NSP under Hildick's leadership. Only weathermen rival Hildick in their ability to continually and unfailingly get things wrong and still retain their job.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 7 Empty Re: Katich cut from CA contract list

Post by Henry Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:41

And let's not talk about another ill-fated spinner who was selected to play against Pakistan, could barely hit the pitch but went to the Caribbean soon after. According to players on that tour he was hitting the wire in the practice nets.

Ok I give up. Who?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:44

Who cares - I just want to know what 'hitting the wire' is a euphemism for?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:47

Fred Nerk wrote:Who cares - I just want to know what 'hitting the wire' is a euphemism for?

Called draadtrek in SA.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:52

Henry wrote:
And let's not talk about another ill-fated spinner who was selected to play against Pakistan, could barely hit the pitch but went to the Caribbean soon after. According to players on that tour he was hitting the wire in the practice nets.

Ok I give up. Who?

Johnny Watkins of course.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:54

Of course......
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:12

Actually, yeah, that Beer selection was a f*cking abomination. Hauritz must've spat blood at that point. WALOC
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:14

Wasn't Hauritz injured?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:14

Imagine how the spinners who haven't been selected for Australia in the last few years must feel. Imagine how sh!t they must be.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:02

Red wrote:
Henry wrote:

Ok I give up. Who?

Johnny Watkins of course.
Yeah. Relevance to the current spinning woes and selection f*ck ups? About zero by my reckoning.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:08

Actually, that particular Test match - Sydney January 1973, was probably when big Maxie actually earned his MBE-equiv. by bowling us to victory v Paksters. Only took him 38 years to get the silverware. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:25

Watkins was a fiasco of the first order but a temporary one TF. It only happened because Ashley Mallett suddenly pulled out of the Windies tour. As it turned out, three spinners weren't needed - we got by with one and a half. An extra fast bowler might have been handy, mind you, might have saved some hassle for DKL especially....also Jeff Hammond was great as Maxie's back-up and looked a good prospect but wouldn't have played another dozen first class games, more back problems as I recall.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:32

Aye Nerky. That winning attack in the Caribbean in 1973 might just be the worst that has won a series for Aus. After DKL broke down and Massie forgot how to swing it, Max and Jeff Hammond lead the attack with KOK and TJ in support. Dougie chipped in with a michelle when needed. Outstanding effort by an understrength attack. Maxie was supreme with 26 wkts at 21.

Last edited by skully on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:35; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:33

Only mentioned Watkins as an aside. Wasn't meant to be considered of high relevance to my naming of Beer as a selectorial howler.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:50

Oh.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:53

Fred Nerk wrote:Oh.

Sometimes this forum disabuses me of the notion that only women can be catty. Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 7 797708
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:56

Red wrote:

Sometimes this forum disabuses me of the notion that only women can be catty. Katich cut from CA contract list - Page 7 797708

Why would you think that, given some of your comments?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:58

Testes, testes, one, two...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:00

Red wrote:

That 'insight' is so WGAF it doesn't even rate an Oh.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:02

I think someone (Gary?) mentioned it the other day- It's probably time for the Australian selectors to really earn their money and identify players with the character and temperament to succeed at international level (ala like when Duncan Fletcher pulled Marcus Trescothick and Michael Vaughan out of the hat back in 1999-2000) and not just pick players with lots of first class runs runs/pretty cover drives/nice blond hair.

Pick players who might not be there just yet, but who you KNOW will be in 3-4 years.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:09

Mind you the first class runs would help....but the days of blokes with talent rotting in the Shield until they're 28 or 30 and have 'earnt it' have to be gone.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:09

The NSP was resting on its laurels through the tgm/TGM/NLWL/Tugga/Gilly/etc era. And they have no clue how to handle it now the team doesn't pick itself. Which is why the above suggestion won't happen before there's major changed at the top.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:11

Henry wrote:I think someone (Gary?) mentioned it the other day- It's probably time for the Australian selectors to really earn their money and identify players with the character and temperament to succeed at international level (ala like when Duncan Fletcher pulled Marcus Trescothick and Michael Vaughan out of the hat back in 1999-2000) and not just pick players with lots of first class runs runs/pretty cover drives/nice blond hair.

Pick players who might not be there just yet, but who you KNOW will be in 3-4 years.

Astute judges have always said that it's not merely about averages and aggregates but whether or not the player concerned's form will translate to the next level. Occasionally they disregard averages like they did with Clarke but too often they're reactive. Lately there seems to be no rhyme or reason to selections with many smacking of desperation.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:13

Red wrote:
Henry wrote:I think someone (Gary?) mentioned it the other day- It's probably time for the Australian selectors to really earn their money and identify players with the character and temperament to succeed at international level (ala like when Duncan Fletcher pulled Marcus Trescothick and Michael Vaughan out of the hat back in 1999-2000) and not just pick players with lots of first class runs runs/pretty cover drives/nice blond hair.

Astute judges have always said that it's not merely about averages and aggregates but whether or not the player concerned's form will translate to the next level. Occasionally they disregard averages like they did with Clarke but too often they're reactive. Lately there seems to be no rhyme or reason to selections with many smacking of desperation.

Because the cupboard is bare?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:21

Basically Aunt Hilda and co need to find the next three Clarkes - and on current form I doubt they could find their backsides with both hands. Astute judges? Where?

I'm not going to bag Clarke's captaincy until I've seen some, and I couldn't give a flying arse what the Noise thinks of his lifestyle, his haircut, his sex life or anything, but this current impasse where he's the only viable alternative has
been absolutely predictable since at least Ashes 06-07.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next