Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is...

+10
G.Wood
horace
lardbucket
embee
LeFromage
skully
Brass Monkey
Henry
taipan
PeterCS
14 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is... - Page 5 Empty Re: I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is...

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:24

vilkrang wrote:Or is skully Lags affraid
Sorry to disappoint, vilks. Nah, I'm just plain ol' skully.

I am intrigued however at your view that I appear to be sitting at my PC frothing at the mouth, Lagaan style.

It's not the case, ol' boy, but if that image helps your thought processes when posting to me, go for you life. As always, I've been having a blast. People say silly things (including me), I tell 'em (or they tell me). People have a go at me, I give it back with both barrels.

Or are you a Sunshine and Lollipops purveyor, too? Too each their own, but achangin' the ol' skull will not be. tongue-out
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is... - Page 5 Empty Re: I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is...

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:25

Re-read the thread ol' chap, I said nothing of the sort.

Unless of course we are still going along the "vilks just agrees with whatever Danny says" line of attack.

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:27

Dello wrote:
skully wrote:We've proved time and time again that when it's all lovey-dovey and "Oh yeah, Petey, that's a good point you make. Well played, Guv" the place dies in the arse very quickly. So I'll do it my way and you do it yours.

I know which one generates way more traffic and laughs.

If the forum was dedicated to World of Warcraft it'd generate more traffic. Doesn't mean it's somewhere worth visiting.

As for generating more laughs - that purely subjective. Personally, I don't find targeting people for abuse and then just hammering away at them whilst cackling maniacally at how "Gold" everything is particularly funny.

A case in point would be this silly thing you started with Lara. He tried to post a joke. I appreciate that. Good effort. A contribution to the forum in the hope of generating a chuckle. 6/10. And yet you not only scolded him for it, but you've dragged everyone else into it and generated a standard (in your mind) where everyone is judged by how they react to him and/or your opinion of him.

Not to mention the obligatory drudging up of Lara's famed "moment" where he made a bit of an arse of himself, as some embarrassingly weak attempt to justify your attacks by virtue of undermining his value as a forummer based on what you seem to think is the greatest thread ever - which would actually suggest you think he's a brilliant forummer as he single-handedly caused the mother of "hilarious" shitfests which you believe are the lifeblood of this forum.

You should be thanking him. Bowing down in his presence. But that would require you to have some kind of clarity of thought and position, but lately you seem very confused and unsteady on your feet. Starting threads welcoming new forummers into the gang only to then hijack each thread with your laugh-riot slanging matches and babbling about how it's all for the good of the forum is rather inconsistent behaviour, don't you think?

It doesn't seem like a very welcoming forum...

Your opinion is most welome, Dello. Coming from the man that was depressingly sounding the deathknell only months ago, it appears bogus, but an opinion nonetheless. innocent

Last edited by skully on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:28; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:28

In fact I'm not sure anyone said you were sitting at your PC frothing at the mouth...

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:29

That's fine vilks. If that draws 'em in to join the Badger Pack, the more the merrier.

Next.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:30

vilkrang wrote:Re-read the thread ol' chap, I said nothing of the sort.

Unless of course we are still going along the "vilks just agrees with whatever Danny says" line of attack.
Well, that was most people's image of Lags. Forgive me for assuming you were drawing the same comparison. shrug
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:32

Dello wrote:It doesn't seem like a very welcoming forum...
How have those trends been going, Dells? Hmm?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:32

skully wrote:
Dello wrote:
skully wrote:We've proved time and time again that when it's all lovey-dovey and "Oh yeah, Petey, that's a good point you make. Well played, Guv" the place dies in the arse very quickly. So I'll do it my way and you do it yours.

I know which one generates way more traffic and laughs.

If the forum was dedicated to World of Warcraft it'd generate more traffic. Doesn't mean it's somewhere worth visiting.

As for generating more laughs - that purely subjective. Personally, I don't find targeting people for abuse and then just hammering away at them whilst cackling maniacally at how "Gold" everything is particularly funny.

A case in point would be this silly thing you started with Lara. He tried to post a joke. I appreciate that. Good effort. A contribution to the forum in the hope of generating a chuckle. 6/10. And yet you not only scolded him for it, but you've dragged everyone else into it and generated a standard (in your mind) where everyone is judged by how they react to him and/or your opinion of him.

Not to mention the obligatory drudging up of Lara's famed "moment" where he made a bit of an arse of himself, as some embarrassingly weak attempt to justify your attacks by virtue of undermining his value as a forummer based on what you seem to think is the greatest thread ever - which would actually suggest you think he's a brilliant forummer as he single-handedly caused the mother of "hilarious" shitfests which you believe are the lifeblood of this forum.

You should be thanking him. Bowing down in his presence. But that would require you to have some kind of clarity of thought and position, but lately you seem very confused and unsteady on your feet. Starting threads welcoming new forummers into the gang only to then hijack each thread with your laugh-riot slanging matches and babbling about how it's all for the good of the forum is rather inconsistent behaviour, don't you think?

It doesn't seem like a very welcoming forum...

Your opinion is most welome, Dello. Coming from the man that was depressingly sounding the deathknell only months ago, it appears bogus, but an opinion nonetheless. innocent

My opinion is bogus? False? Not real? What is my actual opinion then? Am I lying to myself or to you? Or both?

LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:32

skully wrote:That's fine vilks. If that draws 'em in to join the Badger Pack, the more the merrier.

Next.
Eh?

skully wrote:
vilkrang wrote:Re-read the thread ol' chap, I said nothing of the sort.

Well, that was most people's image of Lags. Forgive me for assuming you were drawing the same comparison. I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is... - Page 5 797708

As I said, I never even knew the bloke. I was just asking a question.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:33

skully wrote:
Dello wrote:It doesn't seem like a very welcoming forum...
How have those trends been going, Dells? Hmm?

I don't understand the question. Elaborate.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:35

I actually have no idea what skully has been talking about in the last few posts...

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:37

[sigh]
As is the English way, you lot have been bemoaning the inevitable death of this palce for over a year. I declared I wouldn't let it happen, and I believe we have J-curved and the place is gaining some momentum again, no?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:37

Dello, can you fark off to the other thread for a moment and explain to me what is wrong with shaving one's balls please.

Edit: Apologies, I was being impatient.

Last edited by vilkrang on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:38; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:38

vilkrang wrote:I actually have no idea what skully has been talking about in the last few posts...
It's simple vilks, I'm not Lags and you are apparently drunk. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:39

skully wrote:
vilkrang wrote:I actually have no idea what skully has been talking about in the last few posts...
It's simple vilks, I'm not Lags and you are apparently drunk. Cool
Stone cold sober (unfortunately).

I never said you acted like Lags, seeing as I don't know what he was like other than tidbits. Again, if you read the thread this would be clear.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:43

skully wrote:[sigh]
As is the English way, you lot have been bemoaning the inevitable death of this palce for over a year. I declared I wouldn't let it happen, and I believe we have J-curved and the place is gaining some momentum again, no?

What momentum? It's merely the exact same people posting the exact same stuff, going around in circles, reheating old "issues", settling old "scores".

It's basically threasurrection on a massive scale.

I suppose it could be argued that backwards momentum is still momentum.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:48

Shoulda quoted with each of my responses. It became a bit "overlapping posty".

OK...

1. Apologies if I thought your two refernces to Lags was a dig in my direction. Lags was a crazy mo-fo that essentially resorted to talking to himself on his own forum.
2. I don't really care what people think, and if it's negative in my regard, then I'm happy for the Badger Pack to grow and have their say.
3. I don't deliberately set out to sh!tfest when I log on. It is generally set off by an overnight poke in my direction, that I respond to, a very stoopid comment (usually by a Banjo) or a useful article about Aus politics that inevitably bring the pinkos runnung to slag me off.

Anything else you'd like me to clear up?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:49

Dello wrote:

What momentum? It's merely the exact same people posting the exact same stuff, going around in circles, reheating old "issues", settling old "scores".

I disagree, but at this moment it is probably safer to simply agree-to-disagree. shrug
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:52

skully wrote:
Dello wrote:

I disagree, but at this moment it is probably safer to simply agree-to-disagree. shrug

Disagree about what? Is it not the exact same people lazily forumming by numbers? Who are these new forummers that have been welcomed into the fold and hit the ground running?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:56

Well, I didn't even mention new forummers, you did. I was referring to the improved levels of traffic. If you see that as "forumming by numbers", well and good. I don't.

New members have been merely dribbling in for over 2 years. I don't think post content is the issue.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 23:05

Dello wrote:It's basically threasurrection on a massive scale.
And that is utter bulltwang.

Does this process annoy you or summat? lardy, as is his way, may have a look at page 112 (merely because it's the only page box that appears between about 7 and 220) which might show an interesting thread from 12 months ago or so. He'll bump it to generate some discussion, and usually a nostalgic chuckle. But maybe 4 or 5 threads tops. But he's hardly here, so that happens maybe 4 times a month.

You have resurrected one or two threads after a chin-rubbing Q from one of us, and again provided hearty laughs.

But if that all equates to threasurrection on a massive scale in your books, goodo. aye-aye
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jul 2011, 23:12

skully wrote:Well, I didn't even mention new forummers, you did. I was referring to the improved levels of traffic. If you see that as "forumming by numbers", well and good. I don't.

New members have been merely dribbling in for over 2 years. I don't think post content is the issue.

A slight increase in traffic from the usual suspects is no kind of justification for carrying on like a pork chop, nor is it an indicator of "momentum".

If the forum continues to repel potential newcomers with its tone and "funny" lynchings, and bore existing members with its banal, repetitive, circular slanging matches, then it will be impossible to achieve anything bordering on "momentum" in the sense of moving forward. Developing. Evolving. Not stagnating.

You can take full credit for the "J-curve" if you like, but you can't honestly believe that any progress has been achieved.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 23:18

You're in a bit of a drear tonight, JD, no? For one, you came back. Why was that?

So are you proposing we go all sweetness and light, and they'll start flocking in, in droves?

I don't think anything we can do (short of an expensive advertising campaign) will magically boost member numbers, so getting current members posting is the next best thing. And it has happened, so yes, I do see that as progress. We bottomed out at a lousy 4,400 posts in Oct last year and have been steadily climbing since.

What would you have us do? What is your magical solution? I repeat, I don't believe post content is the issue. People aren't coming in the first place to even read posts.

Last edited by skully on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 23:24; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jul 2011, 23:23

skully wrote:
Dello wrote:It's basically threasurrection on a massive scale.
And that is utter bulltwang.

Does this process annoy you or summat? lardy, as is his way, may have a look at page 112 (merely because it's the only page box that appears between about 7 and 220) which might show an interesting thread from 12 months ago or so. He'll bump it to generate some discussion, and usually a nostalgic chuckle. But maybe 4 or 5 threads tops. But he's hardly here, so that happens maybe 4 times a month.

You have resurrected one or two threads after a chin-rubbing Q from one of us, and again provided hearty laughs.

But if that all equates to threasurrection on a massive scale in your books, goodo. aye-aye

I felt there was context to that quote which you chose to ignore that made it reasonably clear I was linking the never-ending harping back through the forum's history for excuses to poke people, revisit feuds, settle scores to an overall prevailing mindset of "threasurrection" - of living in the forum's past.

Which, again, I can't equate to "momentum", or progress. It's just more of the same, rehashed, repackaged.

But, yay, the J-curve...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 23:28

Well, I did try to "agree-to-disagree". Perhaps I'll leave it at that.

This discussion is like our forummers. They can be lectured until their ears bleed, but they ain't gonna change.

So yet another "oh all this bitching and sh!tfighting is driving away potential members" drear-rant is just a smoke screen IMHO.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next