Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is...

+10
G.Wood
horace
lardbucket
embee
LeFromage
skully
Brass Monkey
Henry
taipan
PeterCS
14 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is... - Page 3 Empty Re: I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is...

Post by lardbucket Fri 15 Jul 2011, 09:08

-2 here last night, had to scrape the frost off the windscreen this morning; -4 out at Westbury

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38127
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is... - Page 3 Empty Re: I see our longest-standing member (August 2007-) is...

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 09:14

Aye, it's been horrendous. And I'm working on the coast at the moment and the Arctic blasts have been howling off the seas. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:46

taipan wrote:
skully wrote:
taipan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Is it significant that a lot of quality contributors have gone?

As you seem to know why, why not enlighten us serfs.
Bored with others lecturing them to death? shrug
We are having one of ther more successful months and still some peoples' glasses are half empty.

To respond to those three statements in the same order:

1) It was an open question.

2) You may have a sort of point Skulls, but for the life of me, I can't recall anybody vanishing or dropping out following any fair or reasonably respectful altercations with anyone on here. Real life (as taipan argues) and/or maybe also something else has occasionally had such effects?

3) It's not my glass, and tbh I'm not so much interested in the glass alone. Or how much drink I personally have in it.

I was thinking more about the pub - the atmosphere, the quality of the drinks, the barrels, pipes and bottles, the general attraction of the place if you like. The price you have to pay.

Don't you think that a wider view helps fuller insights sometimes? ~ It's not always just about the little point won, the sting triumphantly inflicted, the bite of the forum snake for example. It's also about the health of the body, the climate of the forum, the quality as well as the quantity of the posts.

And btw, to correct your misapprehension (with the glass cliche'): I didn't say the quality of posts here was poor - nor do I moan (as Lever and Skully - and more understandably, Dello - are inclined to do Very Happy ) about the dearth of posts. In fact, I have often enough made fun of that lamentation, that the quantity is down, or the quality of forumming is feeble, woe is us, qunts won't post, etc etc.

But you can't logically bellyache about the quantity or quality of posts, and in the next hot breath, behave like a badly-housetrained attack dog on here. Can you?

Does that make my point a bit clearer? You seem to have astounding difficulty representing my views with any accuracy. Again and again.

Last edited by PeterCS on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:50; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:50

Did any of those named by Skulls drop out because of a shitfest?

Its the same as normal life. People develop new interests and move on.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:54

Well, two of those at least and a few others have mentioned to me that they are completely put off the place by bully-boy tactics and negative/aggressive attitudes.
Others have said they on balance can't be bothered going back, for similar reasons.

We draw our own conclusions. And we all think what we wish to believe.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:56

And of course, life takes priority and/or takes over in many cases. As you said, as I agreed.

It's not about counting the bodies, I think.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:56

PeterCS wrote:Does that make my point a bit clearer? You seem to have astounding difficulty representing my views with any accuracy. Again and again.

Doesn't want to. Or cannot.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:58

Brass Monkey wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Does that make my point a bit clearer? You seem to have astounding difficulty representing my views with any accuracy. Again and again.

Is that aimed at Skully or myself?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:00

Just quietly - get bent, Pete. It's becoming tiresome, ol' boy. I heard you the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time, but I'll respond this time.

Frommie did ask that posters not moderate other posters. He's watching and will kick my arse if I overstep. So please don't bore us with you allegedly grandfatherly lectures. Comprende?

Go back to rubbing your chin, and coming up with "Clever" puns. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:01

Brass Monkey wrote:

The former. We've proved time and time again that when it's all lovey-dovey and "Oh yeah, Petey, that's a good point you make. Well played, Guv" the place dies in the arse very quickly. So I'll do it my way and you do it yours.

I know which one generates way more traffic and laughs.

Last edited by skully on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:04; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:02

PeterCS wrote:Well, two of those at least and a few others have mentioned to me that they are completely put off the place by bully-boy tactics and negative/aggressive attitudes.
Others have said they on balance can't be bothered going back, for similar reasons.

Let me rephrase. How many of those dropped out because they were involved in a shitfest?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:03

The former? You don't want to represent his views with any accuracy? sh!t, kid, you get more and more like Lord Lagaan / Buckeroo every day Laughing
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:05

Brass Monkey wrote:The former? You don't want to represent his views with any accuracy? sh!t, kid, you get more and more like Lord Lagaan / Buckeroo every day Laughing
It clearly annoys the sh!t out of him, which, as you know, Dan, is what I do. tongue-out
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:07

Hmmm, shame you used to chide Laggers and Bucks for doing exactly the same thing, though, isn't it? Double-standards are plumbing the depths of utter dread. They are in my eyes anyway.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:09

No comprendo, Skulls. I am not moderating anyone, but responding to your criticism.

I think your "lecturing" has become an obsessional broken record - a sort of shut-out mantra - which suggests you still can't understand that some of your posts have been fantastically way off the beam by any standards - moderated or not.

Which is odd, since you seem a personable and likeable guy much of the time.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:10

Bullsh!t. Your memory is ordinary Dan. I never chide, as it's gay. I tell qunts they are stoopid farkers, because they are. And more than happy to have others tell me I'm a stoopid farker. As you know, both happen on a daily basis. Cool

So if you want holier than thou (which I know you don't), farkin bad luck.

cheers
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:12

PeterCS wrote:No comprendo, Skulls. I am not moderating anyone, but responding to your criticism.

I think your "lecturing" has become an obsessional broken record - a sort of shut-out mantra - which suggests you still can't understand that some of your posts have been fantastically way off the beam by any standards - moderated or not.

Which is odd, since you seem a personable and likeable guy much of the time.
I didn't criticise Pete. I just said shut the fark up with your lecturing. You are attempting to change the behaviour of a poster with your lecturing drivel i.e.attempting to moderate. And I've referred to "lecturing" only tonight. I think you are getting me mixed up with another, Petey.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:17

taipan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Well, two of those at least and a few others have mentioned to me that they are completely put off the place by bully-boy tactics and negative/aggressive attitudes.

Let me rephrase. How many of those dropped out because they were involved in a shitfest?

I hope none. They recoiled before they were dragged into one, if they had any sense. Very Happy

Most of them - perhaps Neil apart - were of a fairly quiet disposition, forumming experience indicates they would avoid or shun any confrontation offered. (You will remember other examples, I'm sure.)

A "shitfest" is not exactly a forum achievement, is it?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:19

Anyway, enough of this for now - see you guys later.

Dan. Forget the words, just call up vilks. The squinty-eyed little yapper will sort it all out. Wink
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:20

PeterCS wrote:2) I can't recall anybody vanishing or dropping out following any fair or reasonably respectful altercations with anyone on here.

It was in response to this comment which implies the opposite. And I still feel most of those dropped out for other reasons.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:22

Pete, ask anyone what the most memorable moments of ABC, C4, and Flaming Bails are. And I guarantee it ain't Sunshine and Lollipops. Just have a look at some of the hilarious threads that have been necromancied in the past fews weeks.

Invariably they all revolve around some form of sh!tfest. We've sh!tfestered from Day 1 of Flaming Bails in the tradition of C4. It's why the lecturing has finally brought me to tell you to pull your head in.

If you want prim and proper with your tea and scones, then feel free to forum at Primandproperteandscones.com.

Perhaps some find you endless puns boring, Pete, but I don't see long, unwieldy lecturous posts denouncing them.

Oops, now I'm moderating. See what you made me do, Pete. Mad

Last edited by skully on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:25; edited 2 times in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:23

Wasn't Sue Marks mentioned as one of the great forummers we've lost?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:24

Did Sue ever join FB?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:25

No, she was wasn't even on C4 for that long.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:26

Pete prolly drove her away with his lecturing. Twisted Evil
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next