Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trott quits the tour!

+22
Lara Lara Laughs
horace
G.Wood
tricycle
Blackadder
Henry
PeterCS
beamer
Red
furriner
taipan
Aditya
pinger
Merlin
embee
Nath
Fred Nerk
skully
Neil D
JGK
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
26 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Trott quits the tour! - Page 4 Empty Re: Trott quits the tour!

Post by pinger Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:36

Given that we have just had Movember here (which, although is mostly about Cancer but also about mens health generally) and some of the Australian players participated (Warner, Johnson), it would be a nice gesture and way for the AUS team to wish Trott a speedy recovery and bring some attention to the issue of mental health generally. Also a decent, and probably much needed bit of PR for the team.
pinger
pinger

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-11-27
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:39

PeterCS wrote:
Merlin wrote:
Dello wrote:]I don't think so. They looked like a well beaten team by the end of day two - no fight in them at all.

It's been coming.
Yep. . . I agree.
And also, I suspect . .  letting the game run away from them on Day 1 , and then later, post lunch Day 2, when 82 fer 2 became 90ish for 6,  both played their parts . .

Mentally f**ked after 5 sessions, following which they found it hard to re-group and recover.
Still confident of the 1-2 or 3, Merls?
Yup.
Providing they unleash Rankin with some serious Bob Marley chin re-adjusting tunes.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:44

Merlin wrote:
PeterCS wrote:
Merlin wrote:
Dello wrote:]I don't think so. They looked like a well beaten team by the end of day two - no fight in them at all.

It's been coming.
Yep. . . I agree.
And also, I suspect . .  letting the game run away from them on Day 1 , and then later, post lunch Day 2, when 82 fer 2 became 90ish for 6,  both played their parts . .

Mentally f**ked after 5 sessions, following which they found it hard to re-group and recover.
Still confident of the 1-2 or 3, Merls?
Yup.
Providing they unleash Rankin with some serious Bob Marley chin re-adjusting tunes.
Unleash? Have you seen Rankin? He's got about 86mph in him for his first spell, and then he's spent and back among the dobbers after that.

He's a marginally fitter Chris Tremlett. But less quality.

I think they'll draft in Stokes and Bresnan, bolster the batting with two all-rounder-ish types and spread the bowling load.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:48

Is Bressie ready ?

Hmmm - I'm not partial to playing a whole load of "all-rounders" . . . bolster the batting with Ballance perhaps and have Bressie/ or another spinner (note - I refrain from classing Monty in the category) in the side . . . but Bressie and Stokes . . . nah.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:54

It's hardly surprising the sledging has gone up a notch since Lehmann took the reins but even last summer it was the hallmark of our approach. I still recall Hussey's 'pledge to sledge' reiteration after Brisbane with the seemingly unflappable Amla somewhat perversely in their sights.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:02

Brass Monkey wrote:
Henry wrote:The second test will show us exactly what this team is made of and how much they want it. Trott has sadly had to leave the tour, the Aussie players and media are mouthing off at them left, right and centre....If they don't come out at Adelaide as determined as they've ever been to prove people wrong, then it's about time a few of them retired.
Exactly. Although if the classless build-up didn't make them angry enough to become more determined, then I don't know what will. Maybe this, but maybe they just don't fancy it at all.
Or perhaps some of them just aren't good enough anymore. Stress related illnesses (Trott), creaky knees (Pietersen), dodgy elbows (Swan and Bresnan), stiff front legs (Cook), techniques that are too reliant on eye (Prior), the shock from the physical changes resulting from puberty (Root).

It's tough times for some of these guys.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:07

Maybe it is time for an India-style clearout. There doesn't seem a lot there in reserve but if we put the responsibility on a new group of players some of them will step up. We might even beat Sri Lanka reserves in freezing May with the ball swinging all over the place...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:08

Henry wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:
Henry wrote:The second test will show us exactly what this team is made of and how much they want it. Trott has sadly had to leave the tour, the Aussie players and media are mouthing off at them left, right and centre....If they don't come out at Adelaide as determined as they've ever been to prove people wrong, then it's about time a few of them retired.
Exactly. Although if the classless build-up didn't make them angry enough to become more determined, then I don't know what will. Maybe this, but maybe they just don't fancy it at all.
Or perhaps some of them just aren't good enough anymore. Stress related illnesses (Trott), creaky knees (Pietersen), dodgy elbows (Swan and Bresnan), stiff front legs (Cook), techniques that are too reliant on eye (Prior), the shock from the physical changes resulting from puberty (Root).

Not to mention natural attrition and some declining reflexes for some.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:08

Henry wrote:...the shock from the physical changes resulting from puberty (Root).

When I was about 13 I played an entire match for my local football team with a raging boner. Had to tuck it under the waistband of my shorts. I kept worrying that it'd break if I was involved in any kind of collision.

It just wouldn't go away. On a freezing cold morning. I've never been so turned on in my life.

Puberty: it's a weird f*cking thing.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:09

A couple of things come to mind, did England select Trott knowing his fragile state? If so why risk destroying it further in what is always a hard fought series?
If it has recently come on, what triggered it??
Either way hope he gets the help he needs.

Blackadder

Trott quits the tour! - Page 4 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:09

Henry wrote:

Cool.

They did the right thing then. Lie down and cop a beating. In that case, they shouldn't in any way feel sore about the whole thing.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:10

beamer wrote:We might even beat Sri Lanka reserves in freezing May with the ball swinging all over the place...
I think that will be a struggle, personally. As for India - we'll get battered.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:12

Dello wrote:When I was about 13 I played an entire match for my local football team with a raging boner. Had to tuck it under the waistband of my shorts. I kept worrying that it'd break if I was involved in any kind of collision.

It just wouldn't go away. On a freezing cold morning. I've never been so turned on in my life.

Very Happy Heh - the other tonk pills in the oranges trick.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:12

Dello wrote:
Henry wrote:...the shock from the physical changes resulting from puberty (Root).

When I was about 13 I played an entire match for my local football team with a raging boner. Had to tuck it under the waistband of my shorts. I kept worrying that it'd break if I was involved in any kind of collision.

Would have been a bummer if you'd been flagged for being 5 inches off side though . . .

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:15

Merlin wrote:
Dello wrote:

Would have been a bummer if you'd been flagged for being 5 inches off side though  . . .
Five inches? It would've been the proudest moment of my life.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 25 Nov 2013, 15:25

Wow, unfortunate. Hope it's a good recovery.

As for Warner, although he'd have had no way of knowing Trott's situation, he really should've kept mum, especially when he's the paragon of "strength". Hopefully that's another thing to show him to shut his gob.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:01

beamer wrote:
skully wrote:
Dello wrote:
skully wrote:To our English comrades, what's Luke Sutton's claim to fame? He's gone right off on Twitter, slagging Warner off. I guess I understand his angst, but shirley he should give the ranga farkwit the benefit of the doubt of NOT knowing Trott had actually REAL mental struggles when he mouthed off about him being weak.

He was a journeyman wicketkeeper for a few counties. Think he ended up at Lancs for a while. Don't know anything about the bloke. He's an irrelevance in the wider cricketing picture.
Cheers D. Thought he must be some ex-County player who is the talking head of Cricketers Recovering from Depression or sum such.

Twitter, the mouthpiece for thoughtless kneejerks.
He did talk about his own depression issues contributing to the end of his career apparently, so obviously is someone talking from experience even though he wasn't an international player.
Cheers beams. Perhaps puts things into a bit of context.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:08

Red wrote:Must admit it is somewhat surprising that Clarke whose spontaneous comments were only punished because the mike was turned on cops a penalty whereas Warner who obviously pre-planned his avoids any admonishment despite demeaning an opposition player in a gratuitous fashion.
Mostly agree with this. While MB pointed out that Pup's pointing is not considered kosher by umpires, it was Channel Nein's fault that a common sledge that usually goes unheard was picked up (and they have apologised for their ineptness overnight). Clearly tempers were high (apparently Jimmeh DID contribute heavily, as I would've expected from the Poms' champion sledger). Jimmeh didn't help the situation by complaining to the umpires - it was immediately after this that Pup made his overheard remark.

I agree that Warner probably deserved a rap on the knuckles more than Pup, but don't agree that Warner's remarks were pre-planned. He's a dumb bogan who runs off at the mouth with no involvement from his brain (not that it could contribute much anyway).

Lastly, I think England's response to Warner's remarks was professional and appropriate. A short sharp "it was disrespectful", and it was. And in hindsight, have been shown to be extra foolish in light of Trott's condition.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:13

PeterCS wrote:So, how long is "long-standing"?

Did the condition come from his descent from solid rock to walking wicket in Test cricket, or is it the other way round?

I wish him all the best for a swift recovery. On the other hand, as someone noted above, if the England set-up knew he was carrying this, on a "long-standing" basis, and he was clearly visibly struggling to get out of the straitjacket in July-September, then why was he selected for Oz? It's hardly a seaside rest cure.

It's all very well to say "Because there was nobody better, with more experience of solid batting when required". But if he was in an unrelieved brittle state already, it didn't do him - or England - any favours to pull him up on to the back of the truck.

Well said, Petey.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:20

beamer wrote:Well England just have to give it back, and more. Turn it into the ugliest and most controversial series for 80 years.
Now you're talking!!!! Very Happy 

Warner standing toe-to-toe with Joe Root ON THE PITCH!!! Yeah Baby!!!

But seriously, shirley this is all good for a highly charged, highly combative and highly competitive Ashes series. Let's face it, the series that are most talked about are the close tightly fought classics like 2005 (which had the double value of being a fantastic contest + it broke Aus's long dominance, as Aus did to England in 1989),

I fully expect England to hit back strongly, helped by some complacency and arrogance by the likes of Warner, and the inevitable waywardness of Midge.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:30

I agree if it means a tightly-fought, competitive series, bringing out the best in each side (appearing rather unlikely at this moment, but we'll see).

I disagree if it gets so charged-up that the animal snarling, screeching, grunting and howling, the bulging eyes of puerile vengeance, the bowlers' fingers jabbing quntishly to the pavilion, the depressing hysterical ballyhoo, hype and harlotry continue to rise. ...
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:32

CA's response is to ban Warner from the wireless for a few days apparently*.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:34

But Pete, Aus is at its best when we are animal snarling, screeching, grunting and howling. Wink 
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:36

G.Wood wrote:CA's response is to ban Warner from the wireless for a few days apparently*.
A typically weak CA response. But still, it spares us from Warner's bogan ineptness.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 25 Nov 2013, 22:12

Dello wrote:Might explain why England were a bit tetchy about Warner's words about Trott being mentally weak, if they knew he was struggling.

Why would they pick him for the tour, though, if that was the case?

Very strange.
To add to all things strange - what was the point of keeping the Aussie press out of the press conference? It's not like they were the ones who called Trott weak or were likely to be harder on the English than their own press.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next