Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone seen any good movies recently?

+41
OP Tipping
Lindsay no.2
Ethics? The Gall!
embee
G.Wood
horace
Chivalry Augustus
Mick Sawyer
Big Dog
tricycle
Red
Anthony_Gonzales
Henry
Ash
philcric
The One
Zat
taipan
lardbucket
JGK
PeterCS
Rachel
Nath
Paul Keating
tac
filosofee
Winkle Spinner
skully
Merlin
furriner
JKLever
eowyn
Batman
W G GRACE
JB
Makaveli
Lara Lara Laughs
doremi
spangler
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
45 posters

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

Go down

Anyone seen any good movies recently? - Page 5 Empty Re: Anyone seen any good movies recently?

Post by Ash Fri 09 Jan 2009, 21:51

saw pursuit of happiness couple of weeks ago. one of my all time favourite films and very inspirational. will smith is a legend.

slumdog millionaire tomorrow, blood diamond/pans labrynth this weekend too hopefully.
Ash
Ash

Anyone seen any good movies recently? - Page 5 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Anyone seen any good movies recently? - Page 5 Empty Re: Anyone seen any good movies recently?

Post by JKLever Fri 09 Jan 2009, 22:07

Brass Monkey wrote:Saw Quantum of Solace for the 2nd time... I'd fallen asleep the 1st time(long story) and people had ragged it... I'm not with them. Thought it was pretty good. Bourne really f*cked over the Bond chain, for the better.

Interesting.... watched QoS late at night and just couldn't be arsed to watch to the end. Will have to give it another try - not really a stand alone story though is it?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sat 10 Jan 2009, 01:33

Watched Tropic Thunder a few weeks ago.

Very good movie in parts, on the whole a good movie and well worth watching.

Surprising, because the 'comedy' in most American 'comedies' makes me want to throw rocks at the screen.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 10 Jan 2009, 09:43

Watched Worng Turn 1 & 2 last night.

No words to describe the neurotic experience. Undescribable.

The most memorable scene?
One man from the afflicted town raising the axe to chop a girl on the head. Next shot, Camera between the girls legs as both the legs fall as apart in opposite direction and a mass of brains and flesh splatter on the ground in between [The girl has been chopped from the center down into 2 halves in one strike].

Pretty gory?

Yeah. Go for it..........
What a Face

Planning to show the missus the films now. Had a blast taking her to Apoclaypto in the theatre a couple of years back when the kid was on the way with a couple of months left for the birth. Strangely enough she enjoyed watching it even as half the audience left mid way unable to take the level of gore in the movie........
clown
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 10 Jan 2009, 09:45

Noice. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105932
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 10 Jan 2009, 09:50

Brass Monkey wrote:I'm pretty keen on 'The Spirit' coming out. Think Sin City and 300 were quality watches for different cinematography.

I've never heard of "The Spirit" but I really enjoyed both Sin City and 300.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sat 10 Jan 2009, 09:54

Batman wrote:Watched Worng Turn 1 & 2 last night.

No words to describe the neurotic experience. Undescribable.

The most memorable scene?
One man from the afflicted town raising the axe to chop a girl on the head. Next shot, Camera between the girls legs as both the legs fall as apart in opposite direction and a mass of brains and flesh splatter on the ground in between [The girl has been chopped from the center down into 2 halves in one strike].

Pretty gory?

Yeah. Go for it..........
What a Face

meh, sounds tame compared to a movie i saw last month - ichi the killer. the japs are really weird

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 10 Jan 2009, 10:10

skully wrote:Noice. Shocked

Yeah. The missus insisted in seeing Apocalypto despite my adamance that she should not be watching such a flick with a kid on the way. I warned her it was too raw, too brutal, too violent, too stark and plain too gory. But she hates it if I go catch a flick without her. So finally I relented preparing myself to leave the movie halfway if she found it too much to handle. As things turn, Only about 50 people showed up to catch it at the multiplex. There were a dozen college chicks who came in after classes and ran screaming out not to return during intermission. A guy sitting right behind me asked my missus why she was watching the flick as women wouldn't be able to take it. My missus told him she was having no issues watching it. As things turned out, that guy himself walked out feeling uneasy 20 minutes post interval never to return. I think he went to puke in the restroom and stepped out thereafter. By the time the flick was over I and the missues were the only ones left unaffected. The rest vanished at some point unable to take the gore.

The crazy part is that the flick also shows a childbirth while the hero's wife is drowning in the well filling up with rainwater.

Laughing
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 10 Jan 2009, 10:31

I hope people have watched the Creepshow movies from the early 80s. The ones that contained short horror stories in it, like short self contained episodes the kind seen on TV. The original movie had 3 great stories in it, short stories a kid was reading in a horror comic book as the audience is swept in the book and sees the stories unfold on the screen. The part about a man discovering a hidden box in his office containing a man eating monster was fun, especially when he tells his best friend about it and his friend tricks his nagging wife into getting close to the box so the monster can eat her. That was a weird fun story.

But the best story was about a scientist who hates cockroaches and is working to rid the whole world of their lot and is working to scientifically protect his city from the bugs. He is a paranoid who lives in a carefully regulated, protected and sterilized environment. One stormy night, the city's electric power supply mysteriously breaks down, shutting down his artifical home environment, followed by an attack from the cockroaches from all over the city as they invade his home and take over his apartment and kill him in the end by taking over his body.

The episode has very realistic effects and nothing superficial as special effects. The horror relies less on SFX and more on our own real paranoia coming from our own natural hatred, misgivings and fears of the cockroach. Just the sight of a legion of roaches jumping out of the wash basin, out the tubes, the vents, light holes, etc and from every crack available and squirming over his body and finally after his death leaving his body via the eyes, nose, mouth etc. makes for gory viewing and horror, shot masterfully.

sook

Last edited by Batman on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 13:21; edited 2 times in total
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 10 Jan 2009, 10:38

I remember Creepshow 1 and 2 very well. I quite liked the hitchhiker segment.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Sat 10 Jan 2009, 11:30

SinCity is Hollywood genius.

Brilliant.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Anyone seen any good movies recently? - Page 5 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 10 Jan 2009, 11:31

Is that the Mickey Rourke/Bruce Willis movie?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Sat 10 Jan 2009, 11:36

Yep, Skully.

It was just sheer brilliance.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Anyone seen any good movies recently? - Page 5 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 10 Jan 2009, 12:19

May just have to check it out.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 10 Jan 2009, 12:47

Agree - Sin City is superb. Clive Owen is in it too. As is the delectible Jessica Alba.

I also remember the Creepshows. Scared the sh1t out of me as a 10 year old. The one with the monster in the box in particular. The cockroach one I remember but it was a bit meh compared to some of the others. I vaguely recall Tom Selleck being in one of them.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 10 Jan 2009, 13:19

I love the Sin City Comics Books better than the movie. It is disturbing, but perhaps narrates the most sttories that highlights humanity's lowest unimaginable ebbs - most immoral, degradable human behaviour, profane and filthy pscychotic paranoia.

One of the stories was of how a man is on the run, marked man. he ends up meeting his once ex-lover, who he ditvhed and she gives him refuge. He is thankful to her and they re-kindle their old relationship, get into a sex romp and at the end of it she kills him in cold blood. Turns out his jilted lover was now a part of an underground organization of ruthless, paid women assasins finally assasinating her own ex-lover as she is paid for the job. She was the assasin the man was trying to avoid.

Another one was about how a girl seduces a guy and turns him against her disapproving father, concocting a story of harrasement by her father and luring him with a gun to kill her old man. The poor guy confronts her father only to realize the gun has blanks and he is thrashed by the girl's dad to death before he realizes in his dying moments that the father-daughter duo were also a pair of immoral, incstous, sexually demented lovers and she wanted to bring in some excitment into her old man's life to 'charge' him up again by making this guy a scapegoat and offering him as a challenge to thrill her old man.

Yet another tale was about a woman assasin whose modus operandi was to hitch a lift from the car of the target, seduce him off the highway and have a session of sex before killing him in cold blood. The story ends when her mentors drive over to tell her that she killed the wrong man. All she has to offer at the end is no remorse but a wry comment of how she wasted a really 'good' man [in terms of their sexual escapade before she killed him].

Such low levels of immortality works in a dark demented comic book like Sin City, exploring the seedy streets infested with killers and whores, but comes across as tad unrealistic in a movie. Sure the movie was great and close to the feel of the comics. But somehow it works best in the book.
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 10 Jan 2009, 19:46

Paul Keating wrote:SinCity is Hollywood genius.

Brilliant.

Wasn't too keen on the actual storyline(s) (although they may well have been faithful to the comic books for all I know, but if I wanted to read a comic I'd buy a comic).

That said, it is undeniably an original and inventive approach to film-making that is well worth a watch.

Stylistically, it's a pearler.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philcric Sat 10 Jan 2009, 20:05

Ash wrote:saw pursuit of happiness couple of weeks ago. one of my all time favourite films and very inspirational. will smith is a legend.

slumdog millionaire tomorrow, blood diamond/pans labrynth this weekend too hopefully.

pursuit of happyness Wink
philcric
philcric

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:08

Brass Monkey wrote:I'm pretty keen on 'The Spirit' coming out. Think Sin City and 300 were quality watches for different cinematography.

I liked what they did with 300 (though that has ruined the likely of the battle of thermopylae being dealt with in a more straight up drama . . . something I often hoped for), so i'll keep an eye out for The Spirit. . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:09

I watched 'Walk the Line' last night. It's not new, but I really enjoyed it, despite never having been a big Cash fan.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38092
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:15

You can keep all these modern films. I'm just watching A Man For All Seasons. A really good film, I think. You just have to put the fact that More was responsible for many burnings out of your mind though . . .

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:19

Damn new fangled modern movies. Give me Chaplin or Al Jolson any time.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:22

Blimey skully, that's a bit too far back!

An old Cary Grant comedy, or a Bing and Bob Road film.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:23

Damn celluloid ... bring Marlowe back, and Dionysus.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38092
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 11 Jan 2009, 00:28

I think the whole art of making shadows with one's hands in front of a lanter, candle, or fire is underrated, meself.

And shits on at least two of the Star Wars movies.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next